PDA

View Full Version : High gasoline prices and changes to society.

Valentine One Radar Detector

grouch
06-13-2008, 09:53 PM
I've been thinking (and boy does my head hurt too!) about how high fuel prices have changed local driving habits and what future changes might be in store. I've noticed less cars idling in drive up window lanes. That's always beena peeve of mine anyway.

Less emphasis on mall stores and a return to the local small department store that you may have to order stuff but you won't have to drive 40 miles to shop. I've noticed Sears has one near where I work. For many years, it was a 45 mile trip from that stores location to the closest other store.

Lighter traffic on the rush hour commute and more cars with more than one person.

A lot of scooters and small motorcycles. Not the best thing I can see as most of the riders drive like they were on a bicycle and not pay attention to traffic laws.

Really good deals on 4X4 vehicles for people that actually have a use for them.

Kids aren't being hauled all over town all the time to multiple places at the same time. More emphasis on what the kids really want to do and not being over scheduled.

Smaller vehicles in traffic allowing better vision. Less looking at the back end of an SUV owned by someone who brags about their honor student.

That old beat up car with the small engine is now a fairly desired car.

There is more of an emphasis on efficiency by new car makers over the trend towards higher power output. Down the road the constant drag races on the road may go the way of chrome bumpers.

misterdecibel
06-13-2008, 09:59 PM
I got flipped off in traffic today when I finally passed a scooter who was doing his best to impede my progress.

Eric
06-13-2008, 10:00 PM
"A lot of scooters and small motorcycles. Not the best thing I can see as most of the riders drive like they were on a bicycle and not pay attention to traffic laws."

I have noticed this also....

"Really good deals on 4X4 vehicles for people that actually have a use for them."

That, too!

Eric
06-14-2008, 07:09 AM
I am also thinking more about driving - specifically, cutting back on trips that aren't really necessary. I also am riding my bikes more.

I can afford to pay for the fuel - but I just resent doing so. Hence, I try to cut back on my consumption.

I feel the same way about electricity, to - and am hoping to get us off the grid in the relatively near future.

misterdecibel
06-14-2008, 01:57 PM
I feel the same way about electricity, to - and am hoping to get us off the grid in the relatively near future.

I work nights. When I'm driving home from work, I'm always surprised by how many houses I see that are lit up like a christmas tree, with lights on in every room. If people would just turn off the lights when they leave a room, I bet our national consumption of electricity would drop by a quarter.

Ken
06-14-2008, 02:10 PM

I work nights. When I'm driving home from work, I'm always surprised by how many houses I see that are lit up like a christmas tree, with lights on in every room. If people would just turn off the lights when they leave a room, I bet our national consumption of electricity would drop by a quarter.

To see just how much electricity is being used/wasted? in the dead of night, just fly over any inhabited landmass. One can navigate from town to town, to city to city, just by the blazing masses of lights. The UK is a prime example.

Ken.

DennisWG
06-23-2008, 10:39 PM
The law of unintended consequences will rear its ugly head and there will be a lot of nasty surprises.