PDA

View Full Version : Headlights

Valentine One Radar Detector

grouch
07-12-2008, 02:08 AM
How does everybody feel about headlights that are getting brighter and brighter? Granted, a brighter light may help you see down the road farther but what about the other drivers on the road? Maybe you can see better but remember, America has an aging population. A recent eye exam showed my eyes to be in excellent shape but the brighter lights bother me. Imagine booming down the road and "Cora Cataract" in her big blue Cadillac is blinded by your lights and crosses the center line.

misterdecibel
07-12-2008, 04:43 AM
I like high tech headlights. Since I haven't been blinded by any yet, I'll assume that mine aren't blinding anyone either.

I notice that when I pull up behind someone in traffic, the cutoff for my lights' pattern seems to be just below the level of the outside mirrors of the car in front of me.

Are they really all that much brighter? Seems to me that if you compare the "projector beams" to a set of halogens, the difference is that the light is even throughout the pattern, instead of two hot spots with a dim fill in between. I don't think the projectors are really any brighter than the halogens' hot spot area, it's just that it's the same even brightness all the way across.

Eric
07-12-2008, 08:00 AM
How does everybody feel about headlights that are getting brighter and brighter? Granted, a brighter light may help you see down the road farther but what about the other drivers on the road? Maybe you can see better but remember, America has an aging population. A recent eye exam showed my eyes to be in excellent shape but the brighter lights bother me. Imagine booming down the road and "Cora Cataract" in her big blue Cadillac is blinded by your lights and crosses the center line.

There seems to be an issue with glare, mainly for older drivers but not exclusively. NHTSA/DOT has taken complaints about HID/projector beam systems, but so far, from what I can tell, most people seem to be ok with them.

I personally have more of an issue with people who don't dim their brights - or don't dim them in time....

grouch
07-12-2008, 08:15 PM
There seems to be an issue with glare, mainly for older drivers but not exclusively. NHTSA/DOT has taken complaints about HID/projector beam systems, but so far, from what I can tell, most people seem to be ok with them.

I personally have more of an issue with people who don't dim their brights - or don't dim them in time....

That's what I like about 4 headlight systems. When I flash them, the other driver will nearly always dim their lights.

Eric
07-12-2008, 10:35 PM

That's what I like about 4 headlight systems. When I flash them, the other driver will nearly always dim their lights.

I was out in the TA the other night; man, I really miss that floor dimmer!

D_E_Davis
07-13-2008, 12:01 AM

Why? Your left hand is (or should be) right there when you can toggle the high beams - much easier than trying to find the floor pimple. Or, have you handicapped tha TA with a slushbox....?

Eric
07-13-2008, 07:58 AM

Why? Your left hand is (or should be) right there when you can toggle the high beams - much easier than trying to find the floor pimple. Or, have you handicapped tha TA with a slushbox....?

In my experience, the floor dimmer is much easier to use - as well as safer.

I don't have to take my left hand off the wheel (for example, in a high-speed cornering situation) and try to manipulate a stalk that often has more than one function; no worries about accidentally causing the wipers to begin wiping or some other thing to happen, either.

The floor dimmer makes much more sense, in my opinion.A simple tap on/tap off. Both hands are free to steer the car/change gears - as it ought to be.

D_E_Davis
07-13-2008, 11:54 AM

I don't have to take my left hand off the wheel (for example, in a high-speed cornering situation) and try to manipulate a stalk that often has more than one function; no worries about accidentally causing the wipers to begin wiping or some other thing to happen, either.

The floor dimmer makes much more sense, in my opinion.A simple tap on/tap off. Both hands are free to steer the car/change gears - as it ought to be.

What!? First of all, on any car I've driven in the past 20 years the turn signal/dimmer is accessable without taking your hand off the wheel. Second, in a "high-speed cornering situation" very rarely will the wheel deflection required exceed 20 degrees so the stalk is still reachable without moving your hand on the wheel. Thirdly, using that floor button does require you to move your clutch foot just when you should be changing gears.

Eric
07-13-2008, 01:57 PM

What!? First of all, on any car I've driven in the past 20 years the turn signal/dimmer is accessable without taking your hand off the wheel. Second, in a "high-speed cornering situation" very rarely will the wheel deflection required exceed 20 degrees so the stalk is still reachable without moving your hand on the wheel. Thirdly, using that floor button does require you to move your clutch foot just when you should be changing gears.

Our experiences are clearly different!

grouch
07-13-2008, 06:49 PM
I remember when the turnsignal stalk mouted dimmer switch came out, there was a rash of accidents. It seems people would go to dim the lights and get their feet wrapped around the steering wheel.

I had a '77 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham and I had to watch the buttons. It had two. I used to freak my nephew out by saying "change" and the radio would change stations. Ther button for that was down by the dimmer switch and there were times when I tried to dim the lights and the radio would change or vice versa.

misterdecibel
07-14-2008, 12:03 AM
I remember when the turnsignal stalk mouted dimmer switch came out, there was a rash of accidents. It seems people would go to dim the lights and get their feet wrapped around the steering wheel.

Good one.