PDA

View Full Version : What GM really needs...

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
07-23-2008, 03:04 PM
http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/203023598hxXzGz

misterdecibel
07-24-2008, 04:52 AM
Looks like a lawn knome that s**** coins.

Eric
07-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Looks like a lawn knome that s**** coins.

Yep !

It's called "Das Geldscheisser" for just that reason!

gail
07-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Wherever do you come up with these web sites? Never in my life do I come across such things. Shaking my head in wonderment. ::)

Eric
07-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Wherever do you come up with these web sites? Never in my life do I come across such things. Shaking my head in wonderment. ::)

The Geldscheisser is a German thing; you almost have to have that heritage to even know about it, let alone understand it!

Disco Man
07-24-2008, 05:06 PM
The Geldscheisser is a German thing; you almost have to have that heritage to even know about it, let alone understand it!

No it means you have a wife. Women love buying those little nick-nacks.

Eric
07-24-2008, 05:08 PM

No it means you have a wife. Women love buying those little nick-nacks.

True!

But mine would never buy a Geldscheisser! (But my grandmother had one...)

Disco Man
07-24-2008, 05:20 PM
True!

Just curious why not, are they very expensive? I don't know anything about Goldscheisser. Thanks...

Eric
07-24-2008, 07:15 PM
True!

Just curious why not, are they very expensive? I don't know anything about Goldscheisser. Thanks...

It's "geld" (money, in German) scheisser (sh*tt*r), not "gold".... and the whole concept is pretty tacky, which is why my wife would not want one! (She won't let me put up my egregious "mammy" cookie jars and salt shakers, either!)

gail
07-24-2008, 11:26 PM

Are you German? If so, is it alright to call you a Kraut? I rather like being called a Harp - it gives me visions of angels floating on clouds all dress in white and gold, strumming on harps - does one strum a harp or what do they do. Oh never mind, I will have instant knowledge on such things when I get over there. ;)

gail
07-24-2008, 11:29 PM
True!

I had a topsy-turby doll when I was a kid. I tried to find one to buy for old times sake and I was told that they aren't politically correct and therefore were no longer for sale. One can't buy Song of the South either. However, I have a copy of th 1913 Birth of a Nation

It's "geld" (money, in German) scheisser (sh*tt*r), not "gold".... and the whole concept is pretty tacky, which is why my wife would not want one! (She won't let me put up my egregious "mammy" cookie jars and salt shakers, either!)

Disco Man
07-25-2008, 01:25 AM
It's "geld" (money, in German) scheisser (shitter), not "gold".... and the whole concept is pretty tacky, which is why my wife would not want one! (She won't let me put up my egregious "mammy" cookie jars and salt shakers, either!)

I thought Goldscheisser was a reference to Goldscheisser's figurines:

http://search.ebay.com/goldscheider_W0QQfclZ4QQfnuZ0QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ32QQrp rZ300QQxpufuZx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldscheider_ceramics

Eric
07-25-2008, 07:51 AM

Are you German? If so, is it alright to call you a Kraut? I rather like being called a Harp - it gives me visions of angels floating on clouds all dress in white and gold, strumming on harps - does one strum a harp or what do they do. Oh never mind, I will have instant knowledge on such things when I get over there. ;)

My ancestors/family are all German-Swiss.

I consider all people of Western European descent ethnic/cultural kinsmen, so I'm not a big fan of calling my own people derogatory slurs like "Mick" or "Wop" - or being called "Kraut." It's as stupid and ugly a practice as blacks calling each other "my nig**r," etc.

Disco Man
07-25-2008, 02:13 PM

The Swiss are probably the smartest people on earth, they follow George Washington's advice of never getting involved in foreign entanglements. They don't start wars, they are a people of peace that respect their neighbors and want to be left alone. Every Swiss household is armed and there is virtually no crime there.

Eric
07-25-2008, 02:43 PM

The Swiss are probably the smartest people on earth, they follow George Washington's advice of never getting involved in foreign entanglements. They don't start wars, they are a people of peace that respect their neighbors and want to be left alone. Every Swiss household is armed and there is virtually no crime there.

I agree - it's a pretty great country and has far fewer problems and more prosperity for the majority of its people than we do here. Part of this is surely do to its adherence to local control (federalism) and as you point out, to its minding its own business and staying away from empire building BS and foreign entanglements.

chiph
07-25-2008, 03:01 PM
They're also very monocultural. It takes 3 generations to acquire Swiss citizenship. As a result, there's a lot of assimilation.

Chip H.

Eric
07-25-2008, 04:16 PM
They're also very monocultural. It takes 3 generations to acquire Swiss citizenship. As a result, there's a lot of assimilation.

Chip H.

Another good thing. Polyglot societies never last. "Diversity" is a nice way of saying, "national ruin."

gail
07-25-2008, 09:25 PM

I consider all people of Western European descent ethnic/cultural kinsmen, so I'm not a big fan of calling my own people derogatory slurs like "Mick" or "Wop" - or being called "Kraut." It's as stupid and ugly a practice as blacks calling each other "my nig**r," etc.

I don't consider them slurs. I like to study into the origin of such colorful descriptions. Everyone is becoming way too sensitive, with zero sense of humor. Many of the phrases were never intended to be derogatory. For example Squaw. I always thought it meant woman or female in the American Indian language. I imagine "Mick" came from so many Irish names starting with Mc or Mac. As I said before I don't know where "harp" started. Curious. Wop = With Out Papers. Cop = Constable on Patrol. I would imagine that "Kraut" was the only German word that they knew, or maybe because Sauerkraut is so popular with Americans and Germans. I don't know how "jerry" form WWI came about either. I'm under the impression that "Gook" is a word in their language. I used to think that hombre was a derogatory word at one time too. Ignorant always get offended. You can't even say "In spades" any more. There is always someone just laying in wait to get offended. As far as the "n" word goes, that started out with the North making fun of how Southerners talk - they don't pronounce "a"s, they turn them into "er" Thus, Atlanta becomes Atlanter, Carolina, becomes Caroliner, even my mother's name Athena, became "Teener."

Instead of arguing with me over these definitions, do some research on other words in our mutual vocabulary and post the origins. Much more fun than trying to belittle me.

misterdecibel
07-26-2008, 04:20 AM
I'm surprised they haven't been forced to change playing cards to Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs, and African-Americans???

Eric
07-26-2008, 07:57 AM
"I don't consider them slurs."

You can "consider" whatever you like - but these are slurs, in the dictionary definition sense and every other that matters. Words are not subjective; you don't get to decide what they mean (neither do I).

No offense, but English is not your strong suit. Trust me. Terms such as "gook" and "kraut" are qualitatively the same as "nigger" - and in an altogether different class than, say, "hombre" - which simply means "man" in Spanish. The former terms are inherently derogatory; the latter is not.

"Spade" (singular) is not the same as "in spades." The former is derogatory; the latter, not.

This isn't a question of being politically correct. It's a matter of correct usage. An ignorant person would get upset over the use of the word "niggardly" (or "in spades," etc.).

But it is absolutely reasonable to be offended by racial/ethnic slurs such as "gook," "kraut," "wop," "spic" and "nigger."

gail
07-26-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm surprised they haven't been forced to change playing cards to Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs, and African-Americans???

That's good! LOL ;D

gail
07-26-2008, 03:59 PM
"I don't consider them slurs."

You can "consider" whatever you like - but these are slurs, in the dictionary definition sense and every other that matters. Words are not subjective; you don't get to decide what they mean (neither do I).

No offense, but English is not your strong suit. Trust me. Terms such as "gook" and "kraut" are qualitatively the same as "nigger" - and in an altogether different class than, say, "hombre" - which simply means "man" in Spanish. The former terms are inherently derogatory; the latter is not.

"Spade" (singular) is not the same as "in spades." The former is derogatory; the latter, not.

This isn't a question of being politically correct. It's a matter of correct usage. An ignorant person would get upset over the use of the word "niggardly" (or "in spades," etc.).

But it is absolutely reasonable to be offended by racial/ethnic slurs such as "gook," "kraut," "wop," "spic" and "nigger."

I disagree with you strongly over your statement <<But it is absolutely reasonable to be offended by racial/ethnic slurs such as "gook," "kraut," "wop," "spic" and "nigger." >>

I personally am sick to death over this "Politically Correctness" crap. You aren't old enough to know that life and words have not always been this way. At one time - about the time you were born - a group of radicals came out of the woodwork professing that words didn't mean anything, and thus words such as the "F" word became in common use, that was never used in the presence of ladies or children, other terms of vulgarity also started coming into common use. Taking the Lord's name in vain. It is amazing how many atheist take the Lord's name in vain. I reckon it is done with the intent of showing contempt to sacred things. Everywhere I go anymore I am offended by the above words and actions. However it has never offended me to be called a "cracker," or "whitey," or "hokey," and while I have never been called a "Mick" or "Harp," I wouldn't be offended. There is only one phrase that would mildly bother me, but I'm not going to tell you what that is. I may not be very good with my native language, English, I won't give you fuel for your flames.

It is the intent with which the words are used. If they are said hatefully, it makes little difference whether they say, "Hey, Boy . . ." Or "man." It is the tone, and attitude with which the words are delivered. I have heard a person say, "Hey, Lady . . ." that make it sound vulgar, or hateful. Most people no longer like terms of respect used any longer. I personally like being call Ma'am, or the Southern "Miss Gail," or Mrs. Morrison. It doesn't make me feel old (I am old ;)), it makes me feel respected. This reminds me of a incidence, I was visiting a medical doctor for the first time, and he said, "Do you mind if I call you Gail?" "No, not at all," I replied, "Not if you don't mind me calling you David." Here was a man half my age, wanting to regulate me to the position of a child, while exalting himself. Oh sure you can say that he has all this education and has earned the right to be called "doctor," but he obviously had not learned respect for his elders. It was my generation that reared the doctors, scientists, astronauts, and even the journalists, many of us with home schooling. How arrogant of the present generation - - arrogant, and spoiled and whiny.

You totally ignored what I told you of how the "n" word started, and how it originally was not a slur against the Blacks, but rather the Southerner's speech. Many of the slurs I don't understand how they got started, e.g., cracker, hokey, spic, etc. Several of them I have already told you the origin. I've bet you don't think twice about using the words, gyp or Scottish, do you? I don't see a hill a beans difference between "Jewing a person down" and being Scottish, as used in the context of being thrifty. Come on, America -- grow up!

gail
07-26-2008, 04:02 PM

Yes, there was a man in California that was fired over the use of that word. No one knew what it meant, even the nightly news picked it up and ran with it, as they do with most of their reporting.

Eric
07-26-2008, 04:40 PM
"I disagree with you strongly over your statement <<But it is absolutely reasonable to be offended by racial/ethnic slurs such as "gook," "kraut," "wop," "spic" and "nigger." >>

Disagree all you like; that's beside the point. I can't believe you'd even try to argue these terms aren't derogatory.

"It is the intent with which the words are used."

So if I say, "your mother is a c**t" - but in a nice way - that's not offensive?

Gail, quit while you're ahead (so to speak). Please. You know as well I (by you own admission) that knowledge of English, grammar and usage is not your strongest suit.

gail
07-26-2008, 08:51 PM
"I disagree with you strongly over your statement <<But it is absolutely reasonable to be offended by racial/ethnic slurs such as "gook," "kraut," "wop," "spic" and "nigger." >>

Disagree all you like; that's beside the point. I can't believe you'd even try to argue these terms aren't derogatory.

"It is the intent with which the words are used."

So if I say, "your mother is a c**t" - but in a nice way - that's not offensive?

Gail, quit while you're ahead (so to speak). Please. You know as well I (by you own admission) that knowledge of English, grammar and usage is not your strongest suit.

You are - as usual - trying to add apples and oranges. Yes, I would be very offended over any obscene, vulgar or sexually indecent words or phrases. As well as crudeness or coarse, as defined in the definition of being deficient in refinement of manner and delicacy of feeling, which is sorely lacking here.

Ah the truth finally comes out. But that is OK, I never did believe that I am a writer anyhow. Where am I, and why am I in this basket? As to my lack of knowledge of English, grammar and usage -- why have you brought this up at all? I don't speak the Queen's English, but i can hold my own - and have. I don't see many other people accomplishing as much as I have with my limited formal education. Much of by lack of knowledge or being uniformed if you well is the aura of innonce that I have managed to maintain far beyond most people's ability. It seems anymore by the time most people reach kindergarden they are jaded. I am dismayed at the language coming out of the mouths of babes nowadays. Many people, yourself included, go around offending people by ridiculing the better things in life and trying to tarnish sacred things. There is definitely a conspiracy to destroy any niceties in life, or culture, rudeness and vulgarity rules. Just ridicule or poke fun at anyone who tries to maintain a genteelly.

I would not intentionally offend anyone's or color, or their nationality, ethic background, religion or creed. However, when I use an old word, I don't want someone jumping down my throat, e.g., recently I was at the auto service dept. when a white person startled me, he past my vision like a vapor, and I said, "Oh, I thought you were a spook." He immediately chastised me and said that we don't call Black people that here." WhaaaaaT???? I was using the expression that he was a ghost. Everyone is becoming way too touchy, including you.

DonTom
07-27-2008, 01:41 AM
"ethnic slurs such as "gook,""

The word "gook" came from the Korean war. When a Korean would call an American, they would say "Me-Gook! Me-Gook!", which means "hey, American!" in Korean.

Since there were so many Koreans often yelling "Me-Gook", the Americans would usually reply "okay, you're a gook!". From that came the name "gook".

-Don-

Eric
07-27-2008, 08:50 AM
" However, when I use an old word, I don't want someone jumping down my throat, e.g., recently I was at the auto service dept. when a white person startled me, he past my vision like a vapor, and I said, "Oh, I thought you were a spook." He immediately chastised me and said that we don't call Black people that here." WhaaaaaT???? I was using the expression that he was a ghost. Everyone is becoming way too touchy, including you."

Sigh.

This is a completely different thing.

First, you were trying to argue that it's not necessarily offensive to call a person of German background a "kraut" (it is), then you switch to arguing about words that have multiple meanings, such as "spook."

Certain words are slurs because that is the essence of the word; viz, "nigger," or "kraut."

Other words (such as "spade," for example) have more than one meaning/usage and so fall into a gray area; context being the key.

Nothing offensive about saying, "He had an ace of spades, a queen of diamonds and a pair of jacks."

It is offensive to say, "The spade was driving the Cadillac."

I would be careful about using the word, "spook" in any context because its meaning has become primarily a derogatory term for black person.

misterdecibel
07-27-2008, 10:11 AM
I thought "spook" had become primarily a derogatory term for spies???

gail
07-27-2008, 02:27 PM
" However, when I use an old word, I don't want someone jumping down my throat, e.g., recently I was at the auto service dept. when a white person startled me, he past my vision like a vapor, and I said, "Oh, I thought you were a spook." He immediately chastised me and said that we don't call Black people that here." WhaaaaaT???? I was using the expression that he was a ghost. Everyone is becoming way too touchy, including you."

Sigh.

This is a completely different thing.

First, you were trying to argue that it's not necessarily offensive to call a person of German background a "kraut" (it is), then you switch to arguing about words that have multiple meanings, such as "spook."

Certain words are slurs because that is the essence of the word; viz, "nigger," or "kraut."

Other words (such as "spade," for example) have more than one meaning/usage and so fall into a gray area; context being the key.

Nothing offensive about saying, "He had an ace of spades, a queen of diamonds and a pair of jacks."

It is offensive to say, "The spade was driving the Cadillac."

I would be careful about using the word, "spook" in any context because its meaning has become primarily a derogatory term for black person.

You are exactly right with your last statement, you can't say 'Good Morning' anymore without someone taking offense to it and considering it a racial slur. Blacks don't even want to be called Blacks anymore - they want to be called African-American, which I think is ludicrous. I certainly don't want to define myself as Euro-American or even Caucasian. Why not the latter? Once again the word has evolved, it is actually a group of people in Russian, and i darn sure am not Russian. I know, I know -- it now means the white race. White race - - - every skin only has three tones, regardless of your race, creed or religion and that is pink, yellow and red. I was amazed of this fact. I had this demonstrated to me once with myself and a Black lady - we both had the pink tones to our skin, in spite of the fact that she was dark and I was light. But you know the old saying, "Beauty is only skin deep - - - but who has time to skin them." :D

As far as being called a 'Kraut' once again I would find nothing offensive of it. Why would you? It is a WWII expression, and as I said before it was probably the only German word most of the troops knew and/or understood. Now if someone called you a Nazi, then I could see why you would get your shackles up. Even though I have an Irish-English heritage, I don't want to be know for that either - I am a 100% American - tired and true. But if it makes you happy, you can call me an Ugly American, or a Harp, Cracker, whatever and I will just laugh along with you. 8) I have no animosity towards anyone or any race, or religions.

BTW did you know using the term 'Mormon' is equivalent to the "N" word? But we being the generous and accepting people that we are, just accepted it, and started using it until the sting went away.

PS if it would make you feel any better I wasn't going to call you a "Kraut" anyway - inspite ot the fact that I love it on my Hot Dogs or should I say weiner to you? :P

gail
07-27-2008, 02:29 PM

What the're not call a "Dick?"

D_E_Davis
07-27-2008, 02:41 PM
As far as being called a 'Kraut' once again I would find nothing offensive of it. Why would you? It is a WWII expression, and as I said before it was probably the only German word most of the troops knew and/or understood. Now if someone called you a Nazi, then I could see why you would get your shackles up. Even though I have an Irish-English heritage, I don't want to be know for that either - I am a 100% American - tired and true. But if it makes you happy, you can call me an Ugly American, or a Harp, Cracker, whatever and I will just laugh along with you.

Actually "kraut" predates WWII, is purely derogatory, and is not a standard German word but a portion of several ones. It is actually more offensive than it's cousin, "polak", for those from Poland.

BTW - When you use the word "harp" I presume you mean of Irish descent. I find that curious in that none of my family nor none of my wife's family, neither here nor in Ireland, had ever heard that expression before. Did you just invent it?(g)

gail
07-27-2008, 09:39 PM
As far as being called a 'Kraut' once again I would find nothing offensive of it. Why would you? It is a WWII expression, and as I said before it was probably the only German word most of the troops knew and/or understood. Now if someone called you a Nazi, then I could see why you would get your shackles up. Even though I have an Irish-English heritage, I don't want to be know for that either - I am a 100% American - tired and true. But if it makes you happy, you can call me an Ugly American, or a Harp, Cracker, whatever and I will just laugh along with you.

Actually "kraut" predates WWII, is purely derogatory, and is not a standard German word but a portion of several ones. It is actually more offensive than it's cousin, "polak", for those from Poland.

BTW - When you use the word "harp" I presume you mean of Irish descent. I find that curious in that none of my family nor none of my wife's family, neither here nor in Ireland, had ever heard that expression before. Did you just invent it?(g)

Yes, I was referring to Irish decent, which I am. However, my paternal Irish anscestor came over in 1641 from County Kildare, and my maternal ancestor came in 1730, so I do not know whether I have any relatives in Ireland or not. No, I didn't invent the word "harp," but as I mentioned in an earlier post I get visions of angels strumming on golden harps, and thinking myself an angel have no problem at all being called one. 8)

I am not sure about "Kraut,' I do know that in WWI the Germans soliders where called jerries or is that Jerrys - shrug - I don't know. There must be a book on slurs printed somewhere.

misterdecibel
07-28-2008, 12:01 AM

What the're not call a "Dick?"

A Dick is a detective.

D_E_Davis
07-28-2008, 12:41 AM
...thinking myself an angel have no problem at all being called one...

Oh, you've owed the title, no doubt, and a feisty angel at that(g).

gail
07-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Does anyone watch In Plain Sight on USA? Last night the female US Marshal says to the Black detective, "Now, that the pot calling the kettle black." The she said, "That never sounded racist before now." LOL