PDA

View Full Version : We share the road with THEM!!!!!

Valentine One Radar Detector

grouch
07-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Uncle Sammy is concerned that a lot of the heavy truck and bus drivers on the road are in such poor medical condition, they are eligible for full disability payments. Keep in mind, the big turcking companies are always trying to get the rules relaxed so the drivers can drive longer hours. The 10 hour limit is now an 11 hour limit.That means the truck coming up berhind you that can legally weigh up to 40 tons (80,000 pounds) and the driver might have been driving for hours.

I load trucks for a living and some of those guys are so tired because the broker pushed them to make the pickup that they can't understand when you point to a dock and tell them to back into it to get loaded. Add in the fact that extreme fatigue can hasten a heart attack and you have a wreck waiting to happen. About 2 years ago we had one unloading his truck fall over and die. A protable defibrillator was used but the coroner said he was probably dead before he hit the ground. His truck fully loaded was at the legal limit when he came in. What would have happened had he had his attack 1/2 an hour earlier or an hour later?

Walmart and other large companies are constantly pushing for looser limits on driving hours. The brokers who dispatch the drivers go along as they get 8% of each load. If the driver has to dead head 200 miles or run late, they don't care. They get their cut up front.

Eric
07-24-2008, 06:33 AM
Uncle Sammy is concerned that a lot of the heavy truck and bus drivers on the road are in such poor medical condition, they are eligible for full disability payments. Keep in mind, the big turcking companies are always trying to get the rules relaxed so the drivers can drive longer hours. The 10 hour limit is now an 11 hour limit.That means the truck coming up berhind you that can legally weigh up to 40 tons (80,000 pounds) and the driver might have been driving for hours.

I load trucks for a living and some of those guys are so tired because the broker pushed them to make the pickup that they can't understand when you point to a dock and tell them to back into it to get loaded. Add in the fact that extreme fatigue can hasten a heart attack and you have a wreck waiting to happen. About 2 years ago we had one unloading his truck fall over and die. A protable defibrillator was used but the coroner said he was probably dead before he hit the ground. His truck fully loaded was at the legal limit when he came in. What would have happened had he had his attack 1/2 an hour earlier or an hour later?

Walmart and other large companies are constantly pushing for looser limits on driving hours. The brokers who dispatch the drivers go along as they get 8% of each load. If the driver has to dead head 200 miles or run late, they don't care. They get their cut up front.

I despise Wal Mart and everything it has done to this country; and I agree with you that even 10 hours of straight driving is ridiculous, even for a young, fit guy. For a guy in his 50s in not so great shape, it is madness.

But our corporatist state puts profits (for the owners) uber alles. The drones are SOL... and so are we.

grouch
07-24-2008, 10:06 AM
I despise Wal Mart and everything it has done to this country; and I agree with you that even 10 hours of straight driving is ridiculous, even for a young, fit guy. For a guy in his 50s in not so great shape, it is madness.

But our corporatist state puts profits (for the owners) uber alles. The drones are SOL... and so are we.

I drove a truck for three years. We didn't have the rules that are here now. It wasn't that far from the old song "6 days on the road". We really did pop caffiene pills. I know my eyes were the size of dinner plates at times. I also remember guys who drove for two and three days and went into a psychotic state with hallucinations. Drivers didn't make much but the truck companies did and they are trying to get back to the same position.

Eric
07-24-2008, 10:14 AM

I drove a truck for three years. We didn't have the rules that are here now. It wasn't that far from the old song "6 days on the road". We really did pop caffiene pills. I know my eyes were the size of dinner plates at times. I also remember guys who drove for two and three days and went into a psychotic state with hallucinations. Drivers didn't make much but the truck companies did and they are trying to get back to the same position.

I don't doubt it... sheesh!

For openers, they (that is, the corporate interests) are trying to make American truckers "compete" with Mexican truckers, who of course don't have much choice about driving sketchily maintained POS trucks 12 hours straight for a week straight at 60 percent the pay.

You don't have to be a Marxist (or even a "liberal") to be appalled by the free trade BS that is ruining this country for the benefit of an oligarchical elite.

Disco Man
07-24-2008, 12:36 PM
In the last few years never have I seen truck drivers drive so bad and so aggressively. They are driving like they are tired and in a rush, and what was posted up above is exactly what I surmised.

I have talked to a few guys who were at one time truck drivers and left the field due to the unrealistic demands put on them to drive way too many hours. Like most Americans truck drivers are working more hours, unfortunately like all of us they get tired when the work too many hours. And when they are driving a big rig, that's dangerous.

J. ZIMM
07-25-2008, 04:35 AM
:o In our neck of the woods, the State and locals are constantly busting rigs on our roads. From speeding, heard one from the other night doing 82 in a 55, to unkept log books, which they do make them park it for a while. I listen to the scanner quite a bit here. I have heard trucks being impounded for a kinds of infractions. You would be surprised how many have been busted for no CD L's. No insurance. And they have been know en to pull suprise inspections as well. The shape some of these trucks are in would just scare the bejesus out of you. Knowing that could be coming at you with a tire about ready to blow, or not being able to stop, or that driver is about ready to fall asleep. And thats just on the secondary highways. Hard telling what going on over there with the freeways. I should not pick on the trucks so much, but they claim the 4 wheelers cause all the wrecks. But from what I hear, of the semi's were in better shape, the drivers more alert and watch their speed, and didn't tail gate, maybe there wouldn't be so many accidents. ???

grouch
07-25-2008, 09:39 AM
:o In our neck of the woods, the State and locals are constantly busting rigs on our roads. From speeding, heard one from the other night doing 82 in a 55, to unkept log books, which they do make them park it for a while. I listen to the scanner quite a bit here. I have heard trucks being impounded for a kinds of infractions. You would be surprised how many have been busted for no CD L's. No insurance. And they have been know en to pull suprise inspections as well. The shape some of these trucks are in would just scare the bejesus out of you. Knowing that could be coming at you with a tire about ready to blow, or not being able to stop, or that driver is about ready to fall asleep. And thats just on the secondary highways. Hard telling what going on over there with the freeways. I should not pick on the trucks so much, but they claim the 4 wheelers cause all the wrecks. But from what I hear, of the semi's were in better shape, the drivers more alert and watch their speed, and didn't tail gate, maybe there wouldn't be so many accidents. ???

We use CB radios to talk to the drivers at work. It really speeds things up. A lot of the drivers get really chatty on the channel and jam it so we can't get the other drivers loaded. I've overheard them talking about "just pull over, they'll get out of the way". I have to deal with the occasional jerk driver going to work but if they get really out of line, you can often let the company know. Somewhere on the truck will be the company contact information. Call the 800 number and tell them where and what the truck is doing. Give them the TRAILER number. The trailer is what gets paid so that is usually what is tracked. This is one of the few times I'll use a cell phone whilst driving. I normally don't even have it turned on.