PDA

View Full Version : Send them back for a Vote

Valentine One Radar Detector

ColleenC2
08-01-2008, 06:05 PM
The GOP is revolting this Friday demanding that a vote on drilling take place. I think all citizens who care about whether we drill for our economic survival contact Nancy Pelosi's office and demand that a "summer vacation" does not take place until this matter is voted on.

You can contact Pelosi's office at www.speaker.gov

News article: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/washington/AP-Congress-Leaving-Late.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Eric
08-01-2008, 07:29 PM
The GOP is revolting this Friday demanding that a vote on drilling take place. I think all citizens who care about whether we drill for our economic survival contact Nancy Pelosi's office and demand that a "summer vacation" does not take place until this matter is voted on.

You can contact Pelosi's office at www.speaker.gov

News article: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/washington/AP-Congress-Leaving-Late.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

While I support the concept of looking for more oil, this is all so much flapdoodle. One, the oil companies already have leases on potential oil fields they aren't exploiting. Two, any new drilling - as in ANWR - will not bear fruit for years and thus will have little to no effect on our situation for some time to come.

ColleenC2
08-01-2008, 08:04 PM
I personally am in favor of "throwing the kitchen sink" at the energy crisis in our country. For Pelosi to go on "summer vacation" while citizens are suffering is paramount to recklessness and dereliction of duty.

Americans have been place in this predicament for over 30 years now without a consensus in Congress to rid ourself of dependence on foreign oil.

To squabble and fight over which method is the best or that it would take 10 years to bring the oil, who cares? Do something to start the process now. It is better to do something than nothing. are the Democrats afraid of the environmentalist?

To use the argument that it will take years for the oil to come to fruition is an immature agrument. If citizens saw that we were doing something they would be content, but to do nothing? Outrageous, to even accept that as a solution.

Russia is already laying claims to the oil in Artic, Why? because the US is asleep at the wheel and we will once again be beholding to another country for our survival. If one doesn't fight now, then one deserves to be ruled by others and subjugated to them

MOSCOW, Russia (AP) -- An expedition aimed at strengthening Russia's claim to much of the oil and gas wealth beneath the Arctic Ocean reached the North Pole on Wednesday, and preparations immediately began for two mini-submarines to drop a capsule containing a Russian flag to the sea floor. http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/08/01/arctic.grab.ap/index.html

Eric
08-01-2008, 08:26 PM
"To use the argument that it will take years for the oil to come to fruition is an immature agrument."

It's "immature" to note the fact that no new oil at all could possibly become available as a result of drilling in ANWR for years - and so would have no effect whatsoever on our current or near-term energy situation?

How so?

The fact is scarcity is not the driver of the recent upticks in oil prices - speculation and the devaluation of the US dollar are the drivers. So "drilling" is actually quite irrelevant.

The oil companies are simply using the speculation/devaluation-driven panic to cage yet more perks out of the public via the "do something" dumbos in Congress.

swamprat
08-01-2008, 08:40 PM
"I agree that speculation has been responsible for a big runup in the price as well, but I believe that we are also running out of oil as well."

Population is the key issue; the looming prospect of 1.6 billion Chinese (and another 1 billion Indians and Pakis) becoming "middle class" and driving cars just like us is going to be a disaster for the world. If we'd been smart 50 years ago, we (the West) would have occupied China and India, etc. and imposed draconian birth control; only 10 percent of the population allowed to reproduce at all. But we missed our window and now the die is cast.

gail
08-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Life hasn't gotten worse. It has stayed just about the same. The following commentary was written during the 80s. You can go back futher to comments Will Rogers made, he died in 1935.

This was written by Charlie Reese from Orlando. When we lived in Orlando for more than 20 years I would often listen to his radio talk show and read his newspaper column: He was very outspoken but always got your attention.

RE-ELECT NOBODY!
Worthy of your time and attention regardless of your Party Affiliation
545 PEOPLE

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems
and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered why, if both the Democrats and the
Republicans are against deficits, WHY do we have deficits?

Have you ever wondered why, if all the politicians are against
inflation and high taxes, WHY do we have inflation and high
taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget. The president does.

You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on
appropriations. The House of Representatives does.

You and I don't write the tax code, Congress does.

You and I don't set fiscal policy, Congress does.

You and I don't control monetary policy, the Federal Reserve
Bank does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president, and nine
Supreme Court justices 545 human beings out of the 300 million
are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible
for the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that
problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress
delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to
a federally chartered, but private, central bank.

I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound
reason. They have no legal authority. They have no ability
to coerce a senator, a congressman, or a president to do one
cotton-picking thing. I don't care if they offer a politician
$1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to
accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it
is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.

Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you
that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this
common con regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal human being is an
excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the
gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the President for
creating deficits. The president can only propose a budget.
He cannot force the Congress to accept it.

The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives
sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for
originating and approving appropriations and taxes. Who is the
speaker of the House? She is the leader of the majority party.
She and fellow House members, not the president, can approve
any budget they want. If the president vetoes it, they can
pass it over his veto if they agree to.

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million can
not replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts
-- of incompetence and irresponsibility. I can't think of a
single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those
545 people. When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545
people exercise the power of the federal government, then it
must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.

If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair.

If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red.

If the Army & Marines are in IRAQ, it's because they want them
in IRAQ.

If they do not receive social security but are on an elite
retirement plan not available to the people, it's because they
want it that way.

There are no insoluble government problems.

Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom
they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose
gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they
give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this
power. Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that
there exists disembodied mystical forces like 'the economy,'
'inflation,' or 'politics' that prevent them from doing what
they take an oath to do.

Those 545 people, and they alone, are responsible.

They, and they alone, have the power.

They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people
who are their bosses provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own
employees.

We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their
mess!

ColleenC2
08-03-2008, 04:36 PM
"To use the argument that it will take years for the oil to come to fruition is an immature agrument. "

It's "immature" to note the fact that no new oil at all could possibly become available as a result of drilling in ANWR for years - and so would have no effect whatsoever on our current or near-term energy situation?

How so?

It is an immature argument because it is one that is not developed in that the "energy crisis" and therefore the "economic crisis" is one that should be tackled from every angle. Short term solutions, midterm solutions and long term solutions.