PDA

View Full Version : Fuel injection retrofit

Valentine One Radar Detector

grouch
08-01-2008, 11:49 PM
I've been wanting to get a newer truck so I could have fuel injection. Otherwise, it's a good running truck. I got to thinking, why buy a newer truck when this one still runs good and goes through two feet of snow of 4 inches of sleet and ice.

Does anybody know of a retrofit kit I can put on a 1984 Dodge W-150? 318 engine, automatic. A TBI system would be just fine. If I can find one for a few hundred dollars, I'll probably keep my old truck since I've had it for years and it literally will plow through deep snow. It's also paid for a long time ago.

MikeHalloran
08-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Find a junker with a similar engine that was running okay when it was, e.g. rolled, and remove the entire fuel system, including the tank and pump, the fuel lines going both ways, the computer and all the sensors. Don't forget the rollover switch and the harness.

There's your kit. Good luck.

If your time is worth anything, a new truck is cheaper.

misterdecibel
08-02-2008, 04:00 AM
Pull a 318 (or 360) out of an '88 or newer truck?

Eric
08-02-2008, 07:10 AM
I've been wanting to get a newer truck so I could have fuel injection. Otherwise, it's a good running truck. I got to thinking, why buy a newer truck when this one still runs good and goes through two feet of snow of 4 inches of sleet and ice.

Does anybody know of a retrofit kit I can put on a 1984 Dodge W-150? 318 engine, automatic. A TBI system would be just fine. If I can find one for a few hundred dollars, I'll probably keep my old truck since I've had it for years and it literally will plow through deep snow. It's also paid for a long time ago.

Holley used to make (and probably still does) a stand-alone TBI kit that works with a standard-type 2-BBL or 4-BBL intake. Check with Summit or JEGS; many such kits are out there and they reportedly work great. However, they are very expensive - last time I checked around $1,500 or so.

A rebuild kit for a carb is, what, $60?

If your problem is the stock carb/intake (you may have on of those awful emissions-calibrated/"lean burn" deals Chrysler used to make) replacing that with a new Holley/Edelbrock intake and something like a "universal" Holley 1850 or (for better driveability) an Edelbrock Performer carb (these are high-quality brand-new Q-Jets/AFBs) would still be much cheaper than going with EFI and ought to work very well for you.

grouch
08-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Holley used to make (and probably still does) a stand-alone TBI kit that works with a standard-type 2-BBL or 4-BBL intake. Check with Summit or JEGS; many such kits are out there and they reportedly work great. However, they are very expensive - last time I checked around $1,500 or so.

A rebuild kit for a carb is, what, $60?

If your problem is the stock carb/intake (you may have on of those awful emissions-calibrated/"lean burn" deals Chrysler used to make) replacing that with a new Holley/Edelbrock intake and something like a "universal" Holley 1850 or (for better driveability) an Edelbrock Performer carb (these are high-quality brand-new Q-Jets/AFBs) would still be much cheaper than going with EFI and ought to work very well for you.

I don't really want to pull the engine out. It's fairly strong and I just want the ease of F.I.. The carburetor isn't that old. It just doesn't like sitting with our weak fuel in it. F.I. is designed for alcohol content fuel. When my truck was originally built, the first time, the only alcohol in vehicles was usually in the driver. There's not a lot of the original mechanics left in old Betty.

DonTom
08-02-2008, 09:03 AM
"Does anybody know of a retrofit kit I can put on a 1984 Dodge W-150? 318 engine, automatic."

http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/store.php?crn=214&rn=392&action=show_detail

-Don-