PDA

View Full Version : struts

Valentine One Radar Detector

pearly8
08-04-2008, 05:33 PM
How long do shocks/struts last? I have 150,000 miles on my 1999 Honda CRV.

When it has been serviced, no suggestion to replace has been made.

Would new struts improve the ride?

Eric
08-04-2008, 05:42 PM
How long do shocks/struts last? I have 150,000 miles on my 1999 Honda CRV.

When it has been serviced, no suggestion to replace has been made.

Would new struts improve the ride?

Struts are basically a combination of coil springs and shock absorbers in one unit. If yours are original and the car has 150k on it, your struts are probably pretty worn by now - so yes, replacing them would almost certainly improve the car's ride as well as its handling.

Your owner's manual may have general recommendations about service intervals for the struts - but again, after almost 10 years and 150,000 miles, the odds are very good they could stand to be replaced! ;)

swamprat
08-04-2008, 07:29 PM
I second that. I replaced my struts at 116,000 miles on my Saturn L100, although I am sure that my car has seen harder duty than your CRV. You will notice an improvement in ride and handling. In addition, while your car is on the lift, have them look at other parts of the front and rear suspension, including your drive axles.

Have your steering inspected as well, as racks can wear as early as 150,000 miles. The rack on my Saturn is as good as new, but my friends Civic needs a new rack as the steering wheel moves about half a turn before the front wheels move.

Just things to look for.

chiph
08-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Stock Honda suspensions last a long time. At 150k, I might begin to think about replacing them, but only if you lived in an area with really rough roads.

One way to test is to go out to your CR-V and put all your weight onto a front fender to try and get the car to bounce. If the struts are good, the front of the car should come up after you release your weight, and maybe bounce once. If the car bounces twice, or takes a long time to stop bouncing (!) then they're bad.

The other check is to put the car on a lift and examine the seals around the strut shafts for leaking fluid.

This video should help some:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qycP-LZKX10

Chip H.

grouch
08-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Wear on struts is very gradual. You never notice a shock or strut wearing unless one breaks hitting a pot hole. However, once you replace worn units, you'll notice a vast improvement in ride quality and even a slight mileage increase.

pearly8
08-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks.

Next question; for best ride, stock struts or after market?

grouch
08-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks.

Next question; for best ride, stock struts or after market?

Generally, Gabriel and Monroe make the original equipment units but you can get better aftermarket units from them. The car compsnies want "just good enough" while and aftermarket buyer wants better. Usually whoever made the original equipment parts will make aftermarket units and they will fit like the originals. Go for the best they make. I had a '77 Chrysler with air suspension in back. When the shocks wore out, Gabriel had made the originals and a new set of air shocks from them cured my saggy rear end ........... on the car.

chiph
08-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Aftermarket will be cheaper than factory.

Performance parts for the 1st gen CR-V are now pretty much unobtainable, so standard replacement will be all you can find.

Chip H.

pearly8
08-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks. I'll look for some basic units.