PDA

View Full Version : Wonder Woman for VP

Valentine One Radar Detector

gail
08-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Well, McCain pulled the rug out from under Obama. LOL Now, we have Wonder Woman for VP. Can it get any better than this.

EXTRA EXTRA read all about it!

Palin began her political career in 1992, running for Wasilla City Council as a supporter of the controversial new sales tax and with the goal of "a safer, more progressive Wasilla."[11] She won and would serve two terms on the council from 1992 to 1996. In 1996, she challenged and defeated incumbent mayor, John Stein, criticizing wasteful spending and high taxes.[6] In January 1997, Palin fired the Wasilla police chief and library director. In response, a group of 60 residents calling themselves Concerned Citizens for Wasilla discussed attempting a recall campaign against Palin, but then decided against it.[12] The fired police chief eventually sued Palin on the grounds that he was fired because he supported the campaign of Palin's opponent, but his suit was eventually dismissed when the judge ruled that Palin had the right under state law to fire city employees, even for political reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

Eric
08-30-2008, 07:33 AM
She appears to be a breeder fundie with a resume even weaker than Odumbo's!

But ... she has a vagina - so perhaps that will draw some of the doughy dowager Hillaryites in. And the crackers will love her fambuhly values... .

chiph
08-30-2008, 12:07 PM
FYI, Palin won't be the first woman VP candidate to receive an electorial vote. That honor goes to Tonie Nathan of the Libertarian Party, way back in 1971.

http://www.lp.org/news/press-releases/palin-not-the-first-female-vp

Chip H.

mrblanche
08-31-2008, 09:15 PM
She appears to be a breeder fundie with a resume even weaker than Odumbo's!

But ... she has a vagina - so perhaps that will draw some of the doughy dowager Hillaryites in. And the crackers will love her fambuhly values... .

I did not think it was possible, but I believe with this post, you have summed up everything you don't know about everything.

gail
09-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Subject: questioning palin's intelligence

Teddy Roosevelt lives in Sarah Palin
August 31, 2008 by patrioticwisdom

John McCain announced his V.P. running mate today and it turns out to be an excellent choice. Sarah Palin is the current Governor of Alaska and, although most people haven't heard of her, she brings a lot to the ticket. The more I read and hear about her, the more I'm reminded of President Theodore Roosevelt.
Although she's relatively young she has quite a few layers of experience. She's a former champion basketball player, beauty pageant contestant, PTA member, city councilwoman and Mayor. Her husband is a commercial fisherman and union member who cares for their five children. She's a life member of the NRA and a pro-life, conservative, hunting, fishing, conservationist. Governor Palin has fought corruption within the Republican Party and has one of the highest approval ratings of any Governor.
Teddy Roosevelt also had a wide variety of experiences before winning national office at a young age. He had been a Governor, rancher, police commisioner and Rough Rider. As a conservationist and hunter he recognized the need to preserve land where future generations could access wildlife in protected, natural surroundings. He had a reputation for doing what was right for the people, not for himself. As President he started the National Park system to conserve lands for future generations. Unlike environmentalists, who believe the environment should be protected at all costs, conservationists believe it should be protected in balance with the needs of people. Both President Roosevelt and Governor Palin represent an understanding of that balance, coupled with an appreciation for all of our natural resources.
The most impressive connection I find between the two is a great strength of character. This is the quality we should all look for in our political leaders. This is what causes someone to do what's right, even if it's not popular. Strength of character will cause you to point out wrongdoing, even when your associates tell you to look the other way. This quality helped make Teddy Roosevelt popular and will serve Sarah Palin well, wherever her future leads her ....

swamprat
09-01-2008, 04:59 AM
I am no fan of John McCain nor will I vote for him, however, Sarah Palin is okay compared with some of the other potential VP choices. I would not agree that her resume is thinner than O'Dumbos. He started running for president almost the moment he was elected to the US Senate. She was at least a governor. ... Anyway, experience is a red herring argument anyway. To run for the highest office in the land, you should stand for something, have real core values. I haven't seen a candidate since Ross Perot, Pat Buchannan, and Ralph Nader (as despicable as he is.)

I agree with Eric's statement on the Crackers.

Eric
09-01-2008, 07:53 AM
"Although she's relatively young she has quite a few layers of experience. She's a former champion basketball player, beauty pageant contestant, PTA member"

Yeah, those are some impressive qualifications for national office .... .

"...city councilwoman and Mayor."

Of a town that's smaller than my town! (Floyd County, Va., appx. population: 14,000.)

" Her husband is a commercial fisherman and union member who cares for their five children."

Why would anyone care whether her husband is a fisherman - or a CEO?

"She's a life member of the NRA.."

The one thing I like about her.

She's also a creationist - which ought to exclude her from any responsible position.

Eric
09-01-2008, 07:55 AM
I am no fan of John McCain nor will I vote for him, however, Sarah Palin is okay compared with some of the other potential VP choices. I would not agree that her resume is thinner than O'Dumbos. He started running for president almost the moment he was elected to the US Senate. She was at least a governor. ... Anyway, experience is a red herring argument anyway. To run for the highest office in the land, you should stand for something, have real core values. I haven't seen a candidate since Ross Perot, Pat Buchannan, and Ralph Nader (as despicable as he is.)

And I agree with you on experience being a red herring. But the fundie religious stuff is an automatic disqualification for me.

mrblanche
09-01-2008, 12:02 PM
She's also a creationist - which ought to exclude her from any responsible position.

As you know (or should know--I begin to wonder) is that no religious test for office in the U.S. is allowed. YOU might believe that, but to even propose that it should be a blanket prohibition is to violate the very Constitution you think you're protecting all the time.

Palin grew up in the one state in the Union that most epitomizes the American independent spirit, a state where a significant portion of the population lives without daily contact with any government entity. They actually DO what you pretend to do on your little piece of property. It's also one of the two states in the union actually to elect Libertarians to high office. As Mark Russell once said, "in Alaska the conservatives are really conservatives...and so are the liberals!"

She has as much knowledge of government or politics as you or I do, in light of her degree in Journalism. She worked as a sports caster, so I know she knows more about sports than I do. She has run her husband's commercial fishing business, so she has some practical business experience. As mayor of what passes for a significant town in Alaska, she was responsible for the everyday welfare of her citizens, from sewers to roads, from schools to utilities. The first day she took office as mayor, she got more executive experience than Obama has ever had. Then she became governor of the largest state in the Union, a state that is a major center for recreation, tourism, fishing, and energy production. And she's been very popular there for the way she's done it.

So, at this point, it comes down to whether you want to vote for a lawyer who has never had a real private sector job in his life, married to a wife who has also worked mostly in government-funded positions and who earns much of her income now from sitting on boards of directors, and whose running mate has spent well over half his life in the US legislature, or voting for a war hero with a good-looking wife who owns and runs a beer distributorship, and whose running mate is has experience in executive leadership AND her own fishing boat!

Or, you could write in Kinky Friedman...

gail
09-01-2008, 12:42 PM
May I remind you that the absent of a vote is in fact a vote for Obama. If you desire real change in this country, then you need to register yourself to vote, and then DO IT!

Up until McCain chose Palin for his VP I was going to vote against Obama, now I will vote FOR McCain, or rather Palin. I see her as a Mr. Smith goes to Washington. I see McCain as another Truman, and that's what this country needs.

swamprat
09-01-2008, 12:47 PM

And I agree with you on experience being a red herring. But the fundie religious stuff is an automatic disqualification for me.

I don't consider an automatic disqualification, although I agree in about 95 percent of cases. I know some fundamentalist types who are a lot closer to sharing world-views similar to yours (and mine) than the neocon view that we instructed by God to destroy Iraq and mess with other countries as well.

Eric
09-01-2008, 02:27 PM
"As you know (or should know--I begin to wonder) is that no religious test for office in the U.S. is allowed. YOU might believe that, but to even propose that it should be a blanket prohibition is to violate the very Constitution you think you're protecting all the time."

As a personal matter, for me, active support for this kind of religious nonsense is an automatic disqualifier for my vote. I personally regard belief in creation "science" as evidence of either a low IQ or a mind addled by religious dogma. My fear with Palin, though, is not so much what she believes but rather that like the rest of the GOP she will try to cram it down our throats by force of government. If she were someone who believed in and advocated genuinely limited government, I would not care one whit about her personal beliefs.

Now, I am sure some will say she's a "real conservative" or some such. But I am not buying it. She has teamed up with a Chimp-loving big government statist-authoritarian who has endorsed and defended every vile policy of The Chimp except for "global warming."

That, to me, is proof she's just another GOP big government shill - with the added detraction of bellicose fundie religiosity.

No thanks.

"Or, you could write in Kinky Friedman..."

If Bob Barr is on the ballot in Va., I will vote for him. Otherwise, I'll stay home. I'm sick of the false choice we're presented with each election cycle; sick of an out of control government whose powers are only limited by the audacity of those who hold office.

We live in an empire; corrupt, power-lustful and beyond redemption.

The old republic died at Appomatox in 1865.

misterdecibel
09-01-2008, 09:51 PM
This will be a novelty for about a week.

swamprat
09-02-2008, 12:10 AM
May I remind you that the absent of a vote is in fact a vote for Obama. If you desire real change in this country, then you need to register yourself to vote, and then DO IT!

Up until McCain chose Palin for his VP I was going to vote against Obama, now I will vote FOR McCain, or rather Palin. I see her as a Mr. Smith goes to Washington. I see McCain as another Truman, and that's what this country needs.

Gail -

I respectfully disagree that the country needs another Truman. We need another "Give em Hell Harry" about as much as a hangnail.

Mr Truman was responsible for firing McArthur, who would have done something about China and he hired the usual CFR cabal that has run the country for nearly a century. Mr. Truman got us involved with the illegitmate Korean Conflict and I beleive was responsible for us getting into the United Nations. Behind that simpleton image, he was a traitor as well.

I wouldn't put his name on a dog cage.

gail
09-02-2008, 12:50 AM

Gail -

I respectfully disagree that the country needs another Truman. We need another "Give em Hell Harry" about as much as a hangnail.

Mr Truman was responsible for firing McArthur, who would have done something about China and he hired the usual CFR cabal that has run the country for nearly a century. Mr. Truman got us involved with the illegitmate Korean Conflict and I beleive was responsible for us getting into the United Nations. Behind that simpleton image, he was a traitor as well.

Well, Henry, it seems that you fit in with this group quite nicely. I'ld be willing to bet had I been with this group of nay-sayers back in 95, I would have felt so defeated that the NMSL would have never gotten onto the table. But don't pay any attention to me, I'm just a silly, uneducated girl. :P

During World War II he headed the Senate war investigating committee, checking into waste and corruption and saving perhaps as much as 15 billion dollars.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/ht33.html

Despite negative public opinion during his term in office, popular and scholarly assessments of his presidency became more positive after his retirement from politics and the publication of his memoirs. U.S. scholars today rank him among the top ten best presidents. Truman's legendary upset victory in 1948 over Thomas E. Dewey is routinely invoked by underdog presidential candidates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_S._Truman

chiph
09-02-2008, 02:01 PM
OK, here's your Wonder Woman. Only, no truth-inducing lasso, or bullet-deflecting bracers. But she's got a very nice hunting rifle...

http://thebruceblog.wordpress.com/2008/08/31/sarah-palin-do-you-like-my-flag-bikini-the-perfect-huntin-attire/

Chip H.

misterdecibel
09-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Now there are reports that Palin was a member of an Alaskan Separatist Party?

Jim Rose
09-03-2008, 01:13 AM
THE SARAH PALIN CHRONICLES
Little Known Facts about the Alaska governor, culled from the
PalinFacts.com blog...

* Sarah Palin is not affected by global warming, evolution or
gravity.
* Sarah Palin eats moose. Preferably live.
* Sarah Palin is so HOT that God had to send a hurricane to cool
America off.
* Sarah Palin will give birth to the man who will lead humanity's war
against the machines.
* Sarah Palin knows how old the Chinese gymnasts are.
* Sarah Palin wears glasses lest her uncontrollable optic blasts
slaughter everyone.
* Queen Elizabeth II curtsied when she was introduced to Sarah Palin
* Sarah Palin's enemies are automatically added to the Endangered
Species List
* Sarah Palin is what Willis was talkin bout
* When Sarah Palin attends ritual blood orgies, she always brings the
most delicious ambrosia salad
* Death once had a near-Sarah Palin experience
* Sarah Palin can win a game of Connect Four in only three moves!
* In the original version, He-Man had the power of Sarah Palin, but
the writers felt this would make him way too powerful
* Sarah Palin was not flown to Ohio in charter jet - she ran there as
part of her morning workout.
* Sarah Palin begins every day with a moment of silence for the
political enemies buried in her yard.
* Sarah Palin uses French Canadians as bait to catch giant king
salmon.
* Sarah Palin once bit the head off a live Osprey snatched from the
air as it tried to fly off with a fish she caught.
* When Sarah Palin booked a flight to Europe, the French immediately
surrendered.
* Sarah Palin's finishing move in the VP debate will be pulling
Biden's still beating heart from his chest & taking a bite.
* Sarah Palin isn't allowed to wield the gavel at the convention
because they're afraid she'll use it to kill liberals.
* Sarah Palin once won a competitive eating contest by devouring
three live caribou.
* Sarah Palin once carved a perfect likeness of the Mona Lisa in a
block of ice using only her teeth.
* Sarah Palin will pry your Klondike bar from your cold dead fingers.
* Sarah Palin doesn't need a gun to hunt. She has been known to throw
a bullet through an adult bull elk.
* Sarah Palin drives a Zamboni to work.
* Sarah Palin can divide by zero.

Eric
09-03-2008, 07:30 AM

That I have no problem with - if true.

What I do have problems with are her support for creation "science" ??? and >:( her belief that even victims of rape and incest should be forced to give birth to the offspring of their attackers if impregnated by them.

Jim Rose
09-03-2008, 10:19 AM
[quote=misterdecibel ]

What I do have problems with are her support for creation "science" ??? and >:( her belief that even victims of rape and incest should be forced to give birth to the offspring of their attackers if impregnated by them.

I have a problem in that area also! Anyone who supports that thinking should be ready to step up to the bar and adopt that kid.

Eric
09-03-2008, 12:29 PM
"I have a problem in that area also! Anyone who supports that thinking should be ready to step up to the bar and adopt that kid."

But of course, they never do, eh?

And even if they did, it's hard to imagine compounding the horror of a sexual assault by making the victim carry the thug's spawn for nine months - then be tied to it (and its daddy) for the rest of her life.

As an aside that's kind of related: Look how wonderfully "abstinence only" education worked for Palin's daughter! (The word is they're getting married.... brilliant, eh? 17-year-old kids making a lifetime commitment before they're even old enough to legally be bound by the terms of a sales contract....)

Jim Rose
09-03-2008, 02:04 PM
>>But of course, they never do, eh? <<

That's the big problem and it makes the average taxpayer the responsible party--- Most who don't need anymore burden---

swamprat
09-03-2008, 02:12 PM

Agreed, but that isn't a deal breaker for me. What is the deal breaker is the cockroach at the top of the ticket and her probable support for his free trade policies and Chimponian war.

gail
09-03-2008, 03:35 PM
You guys are so full of yourselves

Eric
09-03-2008, 04:31 PM

Agreed, but that isn't a deal breaker for me. What is the deal breaker is the cockroach at the top of the ticket and her probable support for his free trade policies and Chimponian war.

Yep, that too!

PS: Love "Chimponian"... I almost peed myself!

misterdecibel
09-03-2008, 06:46 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1RN5xbWtNSU

misterdecibel
09-03-2008, 06:48 PM
And as if McCain fingering his wedding ring while giving Palin the once-over isn't good enough, how about this accidental "open mic" exchange:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Dq4sOM4tpno

After a segment with NBC's Chuck Todd ended today, Republican consultant Mike Murphy and Wall Street Journal columnist Peggy Noonan were caught on a live mike ridiculing the choice of Sarah Palin.

"It's over," said Noonan, and then responded to a question of whether Palin is the most qualified Republican woman McCain could have chosen.

"The most qualified? No. I think they went for this — excuse me — political bullsh** about narratives," she said. "Every time Republicans do that ... because that's not where they live and it's not what they're good at and they blow it."

Eric
09-03-2008, 07:52 PM
And as if McCain fingering his wedding ring while giving Palin the once-over isn't good enough, how about this accidental "open mic" exchange:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Dq4sOM4tpno

After a segment with NBC's Chuck Todd ended today, Republican consultant Mike Murphy and Wall Street Journal columnist Peggy Noonan were caught on a live mike ridiculing the choice of Sarah Palin.

"It's over," said Noonan, and then responded to a question of whether Palin is the most qualified Republican woman McCain could have chosen.

"The most qualified? No. I think they went for this — excuse me — political bullsh** about narratives," she said. "Every time Republicans do that ... because that's not where they live and it's not what they're good at and they blow it."

Wunderbar!

Thanks for finding this!

swamprat
09-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Peggy Noonan has certainly descended from her apogee as former speechwriter for Ronald Reagan. Now, all she can say is bullshit. I may or may not be a fan of Sarah Palin, but Noonan lost her credibility when she threw her support behind the Chimps dad over Pat Buchanan in 1992. She has the credibility of expired cereal.

gail
09-03-2008, 08:31 PM
I couldn't have said the following quote better myself. Sara Palin is one of us. Me, anyway - probably not most of you, though, you guys are so far out in left field you can't recognize greatness when you see it.

"Sarah Palin is the ultimate All-American Girl, beautiful but not glamorous, powerful but unpretentious, high-powered but down-to-earth, a reformer who speaks up while others cower in fear of rocking the boat. Like Ronald Reagan, she can reach right through the television camera into people's minds and hearts. We recognize one of us."
Thomas Lifson, realclearpolitics.com

D_E_Davis
09-03-2008, 08:53 PM

Truman HAD to fire McArthur, who was not only insubordinate but was wilfully ignoring the signs that the Chinese wouldn't allow North Korea to be overrun. Had he left "Dugout Doug" in place we would have been in a full-scale war with China.

Yes, Harry was responsible for getting us into the UN which, despite its many faults, is a damn sight betterthan the wimpy League of Nations generated in 1919.

Since the UN was subscribed to by nearly every nation on earth, and since the UN authorized the police action to protect South Korea, calling that conflict "illegitmate" is off-base.

gail
09-03-2008, 09:01 PM

Truman HAD to fire McArthur, who was not only insubordinate but was wilfully ignoring the signs that the Chinese wouldn't allow North Korea to be overrun. Had he left "Dugout Doug" in place we would have been in a full-scale war with China.

Yes, Harry was responsible for getting us into the UN which, despite its many faults, is a damn sight betterthan the wimpy League of Nations generated in 1919.

Since the UN was subscribed to by nearly every nation on earth, and since the UN authorized the police action to protect South Korea, calling that conflict "illegitmate" is off-base.

I agree with you about McArthur. Truman was quoted as saying, "There is only one president." He had to show who was president. It is a shame that Bush hasn't taken this same tactic. He has been too eager to please everyone and thus seems to have suceeded at pleasing few. McCain will be another Truman.

Before FDR died Truman was ignored. He knew little about what was going on. Because of this there were changes made about VP they are more in the know now. But he probably wasn't as qualified as Sara Palin is to take over the country.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/ht33.html

swamprat
09-03-2008, 10:16 PM

Due to the fact that the UN is comprised of unelected diplomats, bureaucrats and dictators, the UN is an illegitimate body since its powers do not derive from the consent of the governed. Anyone entering into further agreements with this so-called world body (read, world dictatorship) is a traitor to the United States of America and should be dealt with severely by the people of the United States. Anyone agreeing with the aims of teh UN (which is a world government) is either misguided or severely malevolent. Case closed in my book. Korea, Iraq 1 and Iraq 2, all authorized by the UN were illegitimate wars started by illegitimate presidents sanctioned, and ordered by an illegitimate organization.

misterdecibel
09-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Or you people are so out in right field that you can't tell how starstruck you are by her.

I don't think she'll survive the month. It'll be Thomas Eagleton all over again.

gail
09-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Or you people are so out in right field that you can't tell how starstruck you are by her.

I don't think she'll survive the month. It'll be Thomas Eagleton all over again.

Sigh! I hope not.

D_E_Davis
09-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Due to the fact that the UN is comprised of unelected diplomats, bureaucrats and dictators, the UN is an illegitimate body since its powers do not derive from the consent of the governed. Anyone entering into further agreements with this so-called world body (read, world dictatorship) is a traitor to the United States of America and should be dealt with severely by the people of the United States. Anyone agreeing with the aims of teh UN (which is a world government) is either misguided or severely malevolent. Case closed in my book. Korea, Iraq 1 and Iraq 2, all authorized by the UN were illegitimate wars started by illegitimate presidents sanctioned, and ordered by an illegitimate organization.

Sorry, your argument doesn't hold water. At least in the case of the US, Canada, the UK, and Australia the UN was given its powers by those in each country elected by the governed.

swamprat
09-04-2008, 07:15 AM

Sorry, your argument doesn't hold water. At least in the case of the US, Canada, the UK, and Australia the UN was given its powers by those in each country elected by the governed.

Yes it does. Congress voted to enter the UN, but like with the unconstitutional Fed, the people have no direct control over the UN and are subject to its mandates.

Eric
09-04-2008, 07:35 AM

Yes it does. Congress voted to enter the UN, but like with the unconstitutional Fed, the people have no direct control over the UN and are subject to its mandates.

The real issue is the people of this country have not been sovereign since 1865; we have not enjoyed a government that governs with the consent of the people since that time.

Lincoln upended what the men of 1776 created and gave us the total state - a perpetual government whose authority is unchecked and unlimited in principle - subject only to the audacity of those who control it and the willingness of the Sheep to submit to its dictates.

gail
09-04-2008, 11:05 AM
When I was in Washington DC, 1994-1998, there was a strong lobbying group that was pushing for ONE NATION. Now, that might sound patriotic to some people, however the intent of this group was to do away with the right of the state. Little by little we have seen this taking place. It is up to each of us to fight back at this mentality. We - you and I - have the right to petition the government for a redress of grievances. If we aren't doing this on a daily basis we have abdicated our right.

We can't expect the government to stay on an even keel unless the people tell them the course. What does the Preamble say:

WE THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES IN ORDER TO FORM A MORE PERFECT UNION, ESTABLISH JUSTICE, INSURE DOMESTIC TRANQUILITY, etc., etc., etc.,

misterdecibel
09-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Sarah Palin shares nothing but a chromosome with Hillary Clinton. She is Phyllis Schlafly, only younger.

Here's the good news: Women have become so politically powerful that even the anti-feminist right wing -- the folks with a headlock on the Republican Party -- are trying to appease the gender gap with a first-ever female vice president. We owe this to women -- and to many men too -- who have picketed, gone on hunger strikes or confronted violence at the polls so women can vote. We owe it to Shirley Chisholm, who first took the "white-male-only" sign off the White House, and to Hillary Rodham Clinton, who hung in there through ridicule and misogyny to win 18 million votes.

But here is even better news: It won't work. This isn't the first time a boss has picked an unqualified woman just because she agrees with him and opposes everything most other women want and need. Feminism has never been about getting a job for one woman. It's about making life more fair for women everywhere. It's not about a piece of the existing pie; there are too many of us for that. It's about baking a new pie.

Selecting Sarah Palin, who was touted all summer by Rush Limbaugh, is no way to attract most women, including die-hard Clinton supporters. Palin shares nothing but a chromosome with Clinton. Her down-home, divisive and deceptive speech did nothing to cosmeticize a Republican convention that has more than twice as many male delegates as female, a presidential candidate who is owned and operated by the right wing and a platform that opposes pretty much everything Clinton's candidacy stood for -- and that Barack Obama's still does. To vote in protest for McCain/Palin would be like saying, "Somebody stole my shoes, so I'll amputate my legs."

This is not to beat up on Palin. I defend her right to be wrong, even on issues that matter most to me. I regret that people say she can't do the job because she has children in need of care, especially if they wouldn't say the same about a father. I get no pleasure from imagining her in the spotlight on national and foreign policy issues about which she has zero background, with one month to learn to compete with Sen. Joe Biden's 37 years' experience.

Palin has been honest about what she doesn't know. When asked last month about the vice presidency, she said, "I still can't answer that question until someone answers for me: What is it exactly that the VP does every day?" When asked about Iraq, she said, "I haven't really focused much on the war in Iraq."

She was elected governor largely because the incumbent was unpopular, and she's won over Alaskans mostly by using unprecedented oil wealth to give a $1,200 rebate to every resident. Now she is being praised by McCain's campaign as a tax cutter, despite the fact that Alaska has no state income or sales tax. Perhaps McCain has opposed affirmative action for so long that he doesn't know it's about inviting more people to meet standards, not lowering them. Or perhaps McCain is following the Bush administration habit, as in the Justice Department, of putting a job candidate's views on "God, guns and gays" ahead of competence. The difference is that McCain is filling a job one 72-year-old heartbeat away from the presidency.

So let's be clear: The culprit is John McCain. He may have chosen Palin out of change-envy, or a belief that women can't tell the difference between form and content, but the main motive was to please right-wing ideologues; the same ones who nixed anyone who is now or ever has been a supporter of reproductive freedom. If that were not the case, McCain could have chosen a woman who knows what a vice president does and who has thought about Iraq; someone like Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison or Sen. Olympia Snowe of Maine. McCain could have taken a baby step away from right-wing patriarchs who determine his actions, right down to opposing the Violence Against Women Act.

Palin's value to those patriarchs is clear: She opposes just about every issue that women support by a majority or plurality. She believes that creationism should be taught in public schools but disbelieves global warming; she opposes gun control but supports government control of women's wombs; she opposes stem cell research but approves "abstinence-only" programs, which increase unwanted births, sexually transmitted diseases and abortions; she tried to use taxpayers' millions for a state program to shoot wolves from the air but didn't spend enough money to fix a state school system with the lowest high-school graduation rate in the nation; she runs with a candidate who opposes the Fair Pay Act but supports $500 million in subsidies for a natural gas pipeline across Alaska; she supports drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve, though even McCain has opted for the lesser evil of offshore drilling. She is Phyllis Schlafly, only younger.

I don't doubt her sincerity. As a lifetime member of the National Rifle Assn., she doesn't just support killing animals from helicopters, she does it herself. She doesn't just talk about increasing the use of fossil fuels but puts a coal-burning power plant in her own small town. She doesn't just echo McCain's pledge to criminalize abortion by overturning Roe vs. Wade, she says that if one of her daughters were impregnated by rape or incest, she should bear the child. She not only opposes reproductive freedom as a human right but implies that it dictates abortion, without saying that it also protects the right to have a child.

So far, the major new McCain supporter that Palin has attracted is James Dobson of Focus on the Family. Of course, for Dobson, "women are merely waiting for their husbands to assume leadership," so he may be voting for Palin's husband.

Being a hope-a-holic, however, I can see two long-term bipartisan gains from this contest.

Republicans may learn they can't appeal to right-wing patriarchs and most women at the same time. A loss in November could cause the centrist majority of Republicans to take back their party, which was the first to support the Equal Rights Amendment and should be the last to want to invite government into the wombs of women.

And American women, who suffer more because of having two full-time jobs than from any other single injustice, finally have support on a national stage from male leaders who know that women can't be equal outside the home until men are equal in it. Barack Obama and Joe Biden are campaigning on their belief that men should be, can be and want to be at home for their children.

This could be huge.

Gloria Steinem is an author, feminist organizer and co-founder of the Women's Media Center. She supported Hillary Clinton and is now supporting Barack Obama.

misterdecibel
09-04-2008, 06:12 PM
The Washington Independent » The Reform Candidate?

Dear friends,

So many people have asked me about what I know about Sarah Palin in the
last 2 days that I decided to write something up . . .

Basically, Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton have only 2 things in
common: their gender and their good looks.

You have my permission to forward this to your friends/email contacts
with my name and email address attached, but please do not post it on
any websites, as there are too many kooks out there . . .

Thanks,
Anne

ABOUT SARAH PALIN

I am a resident of Wasilla, Alaska. I have known Sarah since 1992.
Everyone here knows Sarah, so it is nothing special to say we are on a
first-name basis. Our children have attended the same schools. Her
father was my child's favorite substitute teacher. I also am on a
first name basis with her parents and mother-in-law. I attended more
City Council meetings during her administration than about 99% of the
residents of the city.

She is enormously popular; in every way she’s like the most popular
girl in middle school. Even men who think she is a poor choice and
won't vote for her can't quit smiling when talking about her because
she is a "babe".

It is astonishing and almost scary how well she can keep a secret. She
kept her most recent pregnancy a secret from her children and parents
for seven months.

She is "pro-life". She recently gave birth to a Down's syndrome baby.
There is no cover-up involved, here; Trig is her baby.

She is energetic and hardworking. She regularly worked out at the gym.

She is savvy. She doesn't take positions; she just "puts things out
there" and if they prove to be popular, then she takes credit.

Her husband works a union job on the North Slope for BP and is a
champion snowmobile racer. Todd Palin’s kind of job is highly
sought-after because of the schedule and high pay. He arranges his
work schedule so he can fish for salmon in Bristol Bay for a month or
so in summer, but by no stretch of the imagination is fishing their
major source of income. Nor has her life-style ever been anything
like that of native Alaskans.

Sarah and her whole family are avid hunters.

She's smart.

Her experience is as mayor of a city with a population of about 5,000
(at the time), and less than 2 years as governor of a state with about
670,000 residents.

During her mayoral administration most of the actual work of running
this small city was turned over to an administrator. She had been
pushed to hire this administrator by party power-brokers after she had
gotten herself into some trouble over precipitous firings which had
given rise to a recall campaign.

Sarah campaigned in Wasilla as a “fiscal conservative”. During her 6
years as Mayor, she increased general government expenditures by over
33%. During those same 6 years the amount of taxes collected by the
City increased by 38%. This was during a period of low inflation
(1996-2002). She reduced progressive property taxes and increased a
regressive sales tax which taxed even food. The tax cuts that she
promoted benefited large corporate property owners way more than they
benefited residents.

The huge increases in tax revenues during her mayoral administration
weren’t enough to fund everything on her wish list though, borrowed
money was needed, too. She inherited a city with zero debt, but left it
with indebtedness of over $22 million. What did Mayor Palin encourage
the voters to borrow money for? Was it the infrastructure that she said
she supported? The sewage treatment plant that the city lacked? or a
new library? No. $1m for a park. $15m-plus for construction of a
multi-use sports complex which she rushed through to build on a piece
of property that the City didn’t even have clear title to, that was
still in litigation 7 yrs later--to the delight of the lawyers
involved! The sports complex itself is a nice addition to the
community but a huge money pit, not the profit-generator she claimed it
would be. She also supported bonds for $5.5m for road projects that
could have been done in 5-7 yrs without any borrowing.

While Mayor, City Hall was extensively remodeled and her office
redecorated more than once.

These are small numbers, but Wasilla is a very small city.

As an oil producer, the high price of oil has created a budget surplus
in Alaska. Rather than invest this surplus in technology that will
make us energy independent and increase efficiency, as Governor she
proposed distribution of this surplus to every individual in the state.

In this time of record state revenues and budget surpluses, she
recommended that the state borrow/bond for road projects, even while
she proposed distribution of surplus state revenues: spend today's
surplus, borrow for needs.

She’s not very tolerant of divergent opinions or open to outside ideas
or compromise. As Mayor, she fought ideas that weren’t generated by
her or her staff. Ideas weren’t evaluated on their merits, but on the
basis of who proposed them.

While Sarah was Mayor of Wasilla she tried to fire our highly respected
City Librarian because the Librarian refused to consider removing from
the library some books that Sarah wanted removed. City residents
rallied to the defense of the City Librarian and against Palin's
attempt at out-and-out censorship, so Palin backed down and withdrew
her termination letter. People who fought her attempt to oust the
Librarian are on her enemies list to this day.

Sarah complained about the “old boy’s club” when she first ran for
Mayor, so what did she bring Wasilla? A new set of "old boys". Palin
fired most of the experienced staff she inherited. At the City and as
Governor she hired or elevated new, inexperienced, obscure people,
creating a staff totally dependent on her for their jobs and eternally
grateful and fiercely loyal--loyal to the point of abusing their power
to further her personal agenda, as she has acknowledged happened in the
case of pressuring the State’s top cop (see below).

As Mayor, Sarah fired Wasilla’s Police Chief because he “intimidated”
her, she told the press. As Governor, her recent firing of Alaska's top
cop has the ring of familiarity about it. He served at her pleasure
and she had every legal right to fire him, but it's pretty clear that
an important factor in her decision to fire him was because he wouldn't
fire her sister's ex-husband, a State Trooper. Under investigation
for abuse of power, she has had to admit that more than 2 dozen
contacts were made between her staff and family to the person that she
later fired, pressuring him to fire her ex-brother-in-law. She tried to
replace the man she fired with a man who she knew had been reprimanded
for sexual harassment; when this caused a public furor, she withdrew
her support.

She has bitten the hand of every person who extended theirs to her in
help. The City Council person who personally escorted her around town
introducing her to voters when she first ran for Wasilla City Council
became one of her first targets when she was later elected Mayor. She
abruptly fired her loyal City Administrator; even people who didn’t
like the guy were stunned by this ruthlessness.

Fear of retribution has kept all of these people from saying anything
publicly about her.

When then-Governor Murkowski was handing out political plums, Sarah got
the best, Chair of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission: one
of the few jobs not in Juneau and one of the best paid. She had no
background in oil & gas issues. Within months of scoring this great
job which paid $122,400/yr, she was complaining in the press about the
high salary. I was told that she hated that job: the commute, the
structured hours, the work. Sarah became aware that a member of this
Commission (who was also the State Chair of the Republican Party)
engaged in unethical behavior on the job. In a gutsy move which some
undoubtedly cautioned her could be political suicide, Sarah solved all
her problems in one fell swoop: got out of the job she hated and
garnered gobs of media attention as the patron saint of ethics and as a
gutsy fighter against the “old boys’ club” when she dramatically quit,
exposing this man’s ethics violations (for which he was fined).

As Mayor, she had her hand stuck out as far as anyone for pork from
Senator Ted Stevens. Lately, she has castigated his pork-barrel
politics and publicly humiliated him. She only opposed the “bridge to
nowhere” after it became clear that it would be unwise not to.

As Governor, she gave the Legislature no direction and budget
guidelines, then made a big grandstand display of line-item vetoing
projects, calling them pork. Public outcry and further legislative
action restored most of these projects--which had been vetoed simply
because she was not aware of their importance--but with the unobservant
she had gained a reputation as “anti-pork”.

She is solidly Republican: no political maverick. The State party
leaders hate her because she has bit them in the back and humiliated
them. Other members of the party object to her self-description as a
fiscal conservative.

Around Wasilla there are people who went to high school with Sarah.
They call her “Sarah Barracuda” because of her unbridled ambition and
predatory ruthlessness. Before she became so powerful, very ugly
stories circulated around town about shenanigans she pulled to be made
point guard on the high school basketball team. When Sarah's
mother-in-law, a highly respected member of the community and
experienced manager, ran for Mayor, Sarah refused to endorse her.

As Governor, she stepped outside of the box and put together of package
of legislation known as “AGIA” that forced the oil companies to march
to the beat of her drum.

Like most Alaskans, she favors drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife
Refuge. She has questioned if the loss of sea ice is linked to
global warming. She campaigned “as a private citizen” against a state
initiaitive that would have either a) protected salmon streams from
pollution from mines, or b) tied up in the courts all mining in the
state (depending on who you listen to). She has pushed the State’s
lawsuit against the Dept. of the Interior’s decision to list polar
bears as threatened species.

McCain is the oldest person to ever run for President; Sarah will be a
heartbeat away from being President.

There has to be literally millions of Americans who are more
knowledgeable and experienced than she.

However, there’s a lot of people who have underestimated her and are
regretting it.

CLAIM VS FACT
•“Hockey mom”: true for a few years
•“PTA mom”: true years ago when her first-born was in elementary
school, not since
•“NRA supporter”: absolutely true
•social conservative: mixed. Opposes gay marriage, BUT vetoed a bill
that would have denied benefits to employees in same-sex relationships
(said she did this because it was unconsitutional).
•pro-creationism: mixed. Supports it, BUT did nothing as Governor to
promote it.
•“Pro-life”: mixed. Knowingly gave birth to a Down’s syndrome baby
BUT declined to call a special legislative session on some pro-life
legislation
•“Experienced”: Some high schools have more students than Wasilla has
residents. Many cities have more residents than the state of Alaska.
No legislative experience other than City Council. Little hands-on
supervisory or managerial experience; needed help of a city
administrator to run town of about 5,000.
•political maverick: not at all
•gutsy: absolutely!
•open & transparent: ??? Good at keeping secrets. Not good at
explaining actions.
•has a developed philosophy of public policy: no
•”a Greenie”: no. Turned Wasilla into a wasteland of big box stores
and disconnected parking lots. Is pro-drilling off-shore and in ANWR.
•fiscal conservative: not by my definition!
•pro-infrastructure: No. Promoted a sports complex and park in a city
without a sewage treatment plant or storm drainage system. Built
streets to early 20th century standards.
•pro-tax relief: Lowered taxes for businesses, increased tax burden on
residents
•pro-small government: No. Oversaw greatest expansion of city
government in Wasilla’s history.
•pro-labor/pro-union. No. Just because her husband works union
doesn’t make her pro-labor. I have seen nothing to support any claim
that she is pro-labor/pro-union.

WHY AM I WRITING THIS?

First, I have long believed in the importance of being an informed
voter. I am a voter registrar. For 10 years I put on student voting
programs in the schools. If you google my name (Anne Kilkenny +
Alaska), you will find references to my participation in local
government, education, and PTA/parent organizations.

Secondly, I've always operated in the belief that "Bad things happen
when good people stay silent". Few people know as much as I do because
few have gone to as many City Council meetings.

Third, I am just a housewife. I don't have a job she can bump me out
of. I don't belong to any organization that she can hurt. But, I am no
fool; she is immensely popular here, and it is likely that this will
cost me somehow in the future: that’s life.

Fourth, she has hated me since back in 1996, when I was one of the 100
or so people who rallied to support the City Librarian against Sarah's
attempt at censorship.

Fifth, I looked around and realized that everybody else was afraid to
say anything because they were somehow vulnerable.

CAVEATS
I am not a statistician. I developed the numbers for the increase in
spending & taxation 2 years ago (when Palin was running for Governor)
from information supplied to me by the Finance Director of the City of
Wasilla, and I can't recall exactly what I adjusted for: did I adjust
for inflation? for population increases? Right now, it is impossible
for a private person to get any info out of City Hall--they are
swamped. So I can't verify my numbers.

You may have noticed that there are various numbers circulating for the
population of Wasilla, ranging from my "about 5,000", up to 9,000. The
day Palin’s selection was announced a city official told me that the
current population is about 7,000. The official 2000 census count was
5,460. I have used about 5,000 because Palin was Mayor from 1996 to
2002, and the city was growing rapidly in the mid-90’s.

Anne Kilkenny
annekilkenny@hotmail.com

misterdecibel
09-04-2008, 08:16 PM
She should be called "Wonder Womb":

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/4628/sarahpalinla4.png

gail
09-04-2008, 10:01 PM
I see that the Femi-Nazis are recovering from the sucker-punch. LOL Too late. Sarah has already won the hearts of the conservatives, and some other groups as well.

Oh, I'm sure the whimy men are siding with the Femi-Nazis, they can't hardly wait to become extinct anyhow. As soon as cloning is common place, men will be totally unnecessary.

You know what, she could have had her bady at home. Millions of women did and still do, and their babies are heathy and hearty. Going to a hospital is what is unnatural for 96% of women giving birth.

I suppose you have noticed that nobody is carrying around bottles for that baby either. Hmmm - I wonder if little Trig is a breast-fed baby. I'm dying to know. Wonder Woman does it all.

PS I wonder when they will start nit-picking about the names she chose to name her children.

gail
09-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Fourth, she has hated me since back in 1996,

Here Anne says it all.

swamprat
09-05-2008, 09:23 AM
I am NO fan of John McCain nor really of Sarah Palin, however, these tasteless, baseless attacks on her from the neo-leftist crowd wreak of hypocrisy. I don't know how the pro-choice party could criticize the way a woman has her kid.

LEAVE THE FRIGGING FAMILY ALONE.

It is her business on how she decides to have her kid. There are a lot more factors at work than simply speeches, words and choices of hospitals.

The kid will be a lot better off with her as a mother than some street dreg as a parent than some celebu-slut or some raving liberal maniac who yells at his kid all the time.

I think criticisms of Palin's record as governor should be subject to scrutiny, after all, personal choices have nothing to do with performance in office. Remember Bill Clinton?

(McCain claims that he is against government spending and such? What about the 28+ years he as been taking our tax money by force in the US Senate, telling us that we are taxed to little. He's a rotten turd in the punchbowl.)

The hyprocicy in the parties is frankly sickening, but leave the woman alone. She's a darn sight better than most other candidates out there.

misterdecibel
09-05-2008, 12:05 PM
You know what, she could have had her bady at home. Millions of women did and still do, and their babies are heathy and hearty. Going to a hospital is what is unnatural for 96% of women giving birth.

Getting on an airliner when she's IN LABOR is unnatural, against airline regulations, I dunno it may be illegal too. This speaks volumes about her capacity for rational decision-making.

Eric
09-05-2008, 12:14 PM
"Getting on an airliner when she's IN LABOR is unnatural, against airline regulations, I dunno it may be illegal too. This speaks volumes about her capacity for rational decision-making."

Ditto forcing/brainwashing a 17 year old kid to get married ... and have a kid of her own, too.

gail
09-05-2008, 02:41 PM
You know what, she could have had her baby at home. Millions of women did and still do, and their babies are healthy and hearty. Going to a hospital is what is unnatural for 96% of women giving birth.

Getting on an airliner when she's IN LABOR is unnatural, against airline regulations, I dunno it may be illegal too. This speaks volumes about her capacity for rational decision-making.

Wait a minute -- nowhere did it say that she was in labor. Membranes rupturing and going into labor isn't synonymous. Often the membranes will seal back up and the pregnancy will continue to term. In my case the membranes never sealed again, however my baby wasn't born for a month.

Sarah was obviously determined that her baby would be born in her own home town. That is admirable. Once there her doctors probably induced labor, as that is the common medical practice today. If that had been the practice with my baby she would not have survived, as she only weight 2 lbs 14 oz afther that month delay.

Hospitals aren't the safest places to be, regardless of what you think. 100,000 people die due to medical mistakes or infections and contamination CAUSED by hospital personnel.

With another child of mine, I didn't know whether he would be a Down's Syndrome baby or not, because I refuse to have the test. I knew that I would not kill my baby, so there was no since in creating a situation that could cause damage. The test uses a long needle and insert it into the uterus which could puncture the baby causing grave or even fatal harm.

gail
09-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Tuesday, September 2. 2008
Sarah Palin meets Davy Crockett
A big coonskin hat tip to commenter Roy Lofquist for the idea.

The Bill Hayes version of 'The Ballad of Davy Crockett' I listened to 50 years ago is here (the following will be much more enjoyable if you listen to the entire song first), some cheesy singalong background music is here, original lyrics are here.

And away we go!

The Ballad of Sarah Palin

Born on a mountain by the Yukon Sea
Oiliest state in the land of the free
Raised with a gun so she knew philosophy
And kilt a caribou when she was only three.

Sarah, Sarah Palin! Queen of the wild frontier!

She fought single-handed in the beauty pageant war
Till the blondes was whipped and big hair restored
And while she was handling this 'permanent' chore
She made herself a brunette forevermore.

Sarah, Sarah Palin! Dressin' for com-pa-ny!

When her child had Down's, her grief was gall
The Dems said Sarah, just abort it all
And lose yourself in the glacier tall
But she answered instead the motherhood's call.

Sarah, Sarah Palin! Spirit of democracy!

She went to the capital and served a spell
Pluggin' up the pork and corruption as well
Took over Juneau so we hear tell
And told the Bridge To Nowhere to go to hell!

Sarah, Sarah Palin! Servin' her country well!

John McCain called and said you ain't done
This here election has just begun
So she packed up her laptop and her virtual gun
And lit out a'smilin' for Washington.

Sarah, Sarah Palin! Leadin' the blogoneers!

Her land is biggest, and her land is best
From grassy plains to the mountain crest
She's ahead of us all in meetin' the test
We're followin' her legend right out of the West.

Sarah, Sarah Palin! Queen of the wild frontier!

http://maggiesfarm.anotherdotcom.com/archives/9275-Sarah-Palin-meets-Davy-Crockett.html

Eric
09-06-2008, 05:30 PM
What a bunch of horseshit, Gail.

Notice - again - the way you reflexively hero-worship politicians and authority figures? You ought to think about that some... .

What saddens me the most is the way people such as yourself are repeatedly gulled into supporting the party of statism and Big Government, because of simple-minded appeals to fambuhly values and insipid flag-snuggling faux patriotism.

Why not try supporting someone who actually supports the Constitution? Or maybe the Constitution itself? I'd be right with you if you supported Ron Paul - or Bob Barr. These men actually do believe in limited government - and the Constitution.

Meanwhile, Karl Rove (and Sarah Palin and McSame) are slapping their knees and laughing their asses off at the gullibility of people such as yourself.

gail
09-06-2008, 07:27 PM
What a bunch of horseshit, Gail.

Notice - again - the way you reflexively hero-worship politicians and authority figures? You ought to think about that some... .

What saddens me the most is the way people such as yourself are repeatedly gulled into supporting the party of statism and Big Government, because of simple-minded appeals to fambuhly values and insipid flag-snuggling faux patriotism.

Why not try supporting someone who actually supports the Constitution? Or maybe the Constitution itself? I'd be right with you if you supported Ron Paul - or Bob Barr. These men actually do believe in limited government - and the Constitution.

Meanwhile, Karl Rove (and Sarah Palin and McSame) are slapping their knees and laughing their asses off at the gullibility of people such as yourself.

I got it bad this time - I never felt the enthusiasm for Bush that i feel for Sarah Palin. I will campaign for her.

It's OK, Eric, those same people were laughing their asses off at me when I went to Washington too, and 10 years later they are still trying to undo what I got done. Sarah will give you back more liberties than I did. You go, girl!

gail
09-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Here is a good video. Enjoy - after you watch it click on the Introduction to Sarah Palin too. Both are good. I really enjoyed the comment about the glass ceiling - bang! bang!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W5IAPK0hbU&NR=1

misterdecibel
09-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Funny how Sarah Palin is being completely shielded from any media contact. No interviews. No Sunday Morning talk shows. Nothing but stump speeches and, eventually, a debate with Biden.

I suppose if they put the debate off long enough, the GOP coaches can train her to at least appear semi-well-informed. Unlike the woman who just last month didn't even know what the Vice President's job is.

They're keeping her under wraps for a reason.

gail
09-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Funny how Sarah Palin is being completely shielded from any media contact. No interviews. No Sunday Morning talk shows. Nothing but stump speeches and, eventually, a debate with Biden.

I suppose if they put the debate off long enough, the GOP coaches can train her to at least appear semi-well-informed. Unlike the woman who just last month didn't even know what the Vice President's job is.

They're keeping her under wraps for a reason.

Until FDR died suddenly leaving Truman in the lurch - no VP knew what was going on. Since then thanks to Truman the VP are now train and are giving responsibility.

Truman's vice-presidency was relatively uneventful, and Roosevelt rarely contacted him, even to inform him of major decisions. Truman shocked many when he attended his disgraced patron Pendergast's funeral a few days after being sworn in. Truman was reportedly the only elected official who attended the funeral. Truman brushed aside the criticism, saying simply, "He was always my friend and I have always been his."[6]

On April 12, 1945, Truman was urgently called to the White House, where Eleanor Roosevelt informed him that the president had died after suffering a massive cerebral hemorrhage. Truman's first concern was for Mrs. Roosevelt. He asked if there was anything he could do for her, to which she replied, "Is there anything we can do for you? For you are the one in trouble now."[46]
Wikipedia

misterdecibel
09-07-2008, 03:55 AM
Uh, the Vice President has a job, apart from just waiting in the wings.

Eric
09-07-2008, 07:47 AM
"It's OK, Eric, those same people were laughing their asses off at me when I went to Washington too, and 10 years later they are still trying to undo what I got done. Sarah will give you back more liberties than I did. "

Are you really so naive as to believe that this woman is any different? She's just another hack Republican mouthing the expected "conservative" platitudes to get people such as yourself to support her (and him). Karl Rove really is right. Just talk about gawd and fambuhly and flag and the mouth breathers will never break ranks - no matter how hard they're being screwed.

gail
09-07-2008, 12:47 PM

Would you like to define this job?

gail
09-07-2008, 12:55 PM
"It's OK, Eric, those same people were laughing their asses off at me when I went to Washington too, and 10 years later they are still trying to undo what I got done. Sarah will give you back more liberties than I did. "

Are you really so naive as to believe that this woman is any different? She's just another hack Republican mouthing the expected "conservative" platitudes to get people such as yourself to support her (and him). Karl Rove really is right. Just talk about gawd and fambuhly and flag and the mouth breathers will never break ranks - no matter how hard they're being screwed.

Not naive, Eric, Savvy. I truly believe that Sarah Palin is genuine and the real thing - - - and different. I believe that the Republican hacks have just grabbed a tiger by the tail. They may think that they (GOP) have pulled off a coup, but Sarah will be the one in the long run to pull off the coup.

Are you so jaded that you can't believe that real changes for the better can be made in Washington?

gail
09-07-2008, 01:27 PM

It is so funny - laughable funny-like -- ROFLMAO funny that some people are running amok is fear and trepidation over the nomination of Sarah Palin for VP. If the liberals and such on the forum really thought Sarah was such a bad choice and that McCain would lose the electric over his choice - they would be dancing in the streets, shouting hallelujah. You guys would be smiling to yourselves and high-fiving all over the place. You would be smirking and saying, "Ain't she cute!" But no all of you liberals are running scared, because you know that Sarah Palin is savvy, and tough. She didn't get the nickname barracuda from baking cookies.

Those of you who would really would like to see our country go back to the way is was at one time. A time before the liberals decided that we didn't have enough sense to buckle our seat belts or to help out the poor. When they started dipping into our pockets, bleeding us dry with taxes and high fuel cost. They would be rushing to register to vote, and chanting "Sarah, Sarah, Sarah."

But back to the subject at hand - Is Sarah Palin qualified to be the VP and possibly our first female president? Read on about the duties of a VP

In the United States the Vice-President has few formal duties, and the importance of the position relies almost solely on the fact that the holder takes over the Presidency if the incumbent dies, retires, or is impeached; they are 'a heartbeat away from the presidency'. The Vice-President presides over the Senate, and votes in the case of ties. Presidents have tried to give the Vice-President roles in specific areas of policy, as roving ambassadors, or as heads of ad hoc agencies to deal with domestic issues.

Vice-Presidents are often chosen, not for the qualities they would bring to the administration, but in order to present a 'balanced ticket' at the election, broadening the appeal of the presidential campaign. The balance may be geographical-a Southern President choosing a Northern Vice-President-ideological-a conservative being paired with a liberal-or another consideration (e.g. religion, government experience, gender, ethnicity).

For more information please go to: http://www.answers.com/topic/vice-president-u-s

Amazingly, 9 of the 43 Vice Presidents have served as President.

Nine succeeded to the Presidency

# John Tyler# became President when # William Harrison# died. Chose not to seek full term.

# Millard Fillmore# became President when # Zachary Taylor# died. Sought the Whig nomination in 1852, but lost to # Winfield Scott# . Four years later, ran and lost as the candidate of the American and Whig Parties.

# Andrew Johnson# became President when # Abraham Lincoln# was assassinated. Sought the Democratic nomination in 1868, but was unsuccessful.

# Chester A. Arthur# became President when # James Garfield# was assassinated. Sought a full term, but was not re-nominated.

# Theodore Roosevelt# became President when # William McKinley# was assassinated; then was elected to full term. Didn't seek re-election. Four years after leaving office, ran again and lost.

# Calvin Coolidge# became President when # Warren Harding# died; then was elected to full term. Did not seek re-election.

Harry Truman became President when # Franklin Roosevelt# died; then was elected to full term. Did not seek re-election.

# Lyndon Johnson# became President when # John Kennedy# was assassinated; then was elected to full term. Did not seek re-election.

# Gerald Ford# became President when # Richard Nixon# resigned; then lost election to full term.

Contrary to conventional wisdom, the vice presidents of the United States started out as strong and independent national executives. The U.S. Constitution of 1787 created the office largely as a realistic backup in the very likely event of a president's death or disability. While it was true that, apart from serving as a backup, the vice president had no other official function than to preside over the Senate and break its tie votes, he was initially elected independently-in a separate election-by the electoral college. Just how significant that could be, quickly became clear. The first two vice presidents, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, were subsequently elected president. Each election forced a political crisis, and the Constitution had to be amended to water down the independence of the office (the Twelfth Amendment, ratified in 1804).

For more information please go to: http://www.answers.com/topic/vice-president-u-s

Here is another link, specifically mentioning Sarah Palin's duties as VP

http://canarypapers.wordpress.com/2008/08/30/here-it-is-sarah-palin-a-job-description-for-vice-president/

Eric
09-07-2008, 03:24 PM
"Not naive, Eric, Savvy. "

Naive - and uninformed.

Have you looked into her actual record? It is typical Republican hog-troughing; you seem to think "welfare" and "big government" are only bad when the largesse flows to some poor person vs. big business.

Are you really so daft as to imagine McSame - and the Republican Party - would put anyone other than one of their own on the ticket? Apparently, you are.

So long as she luvs the unborn, hates fags, reads the bahbul, wears a flag pin and wants to kill "evidldoers," you'll support her as rabidly as the typical German supported Der Fuhrer all those years ago.

Eric
09-07-2008, 03:35 PM
"It is so funny - laughable funny-like -- ROFLMAO funny that some people are running amok is fear and trepidation over the nomination of Sarah Palin for VP. "

Not fear. Disgust - and anger.

For months, McSame ranted about the "inexperience" of Odumbo (an actual u.s. senator and Harvard Law graduate) and now he puts on the ticket a candidate who's even less experienced - without batting an eye. (This is the same McSame who, with unbelievable effrontery, is now saying he's the "change" candidate. Now that is "roll on the floor" laughworthy!)

There's also something nauseating about this silver-spooned heiress pushing the GOP's "free market" Horatio Alger BS.

But the real issue with Palin is her bizarre and noxious fundie Christianity; I agree that will "energize" the fruit loop fundie Kool-Aid gulpers such as yourself but it will (and has) alienated moderates - the key to the election - who are appalled by such idiocies as denying access to abortion to rape victims and advocacy of teaching imbecilic creation "science" in public schools.

Still, the Democrats are as stupid and corrupt as the Republicans; just a lot less competent at running elections - so there's a good chance McSame will win.

As I have said before, though, it really doesn't matter. What you - and many others, of both political persuasions - have got to realize is that both "parties" are really just wings of the same party that controls the system for its own benefit, not ours.There may be minor differences, here and there, depending on which candidate wins. But the overall trend - more government, less freedom; more filthy lucre flowing into the coffers of politically connected businesses and individuals, etc. - continues apace.

misterdecibel
09-07-2008, 11:03 PM
It's funny how the GOP Kool Aid drinkers love to fob off all criticism of Wonder Womb as "fear". Do you people all get your talking points from the same place?

misterdecibel
09-07-2008, 11:04 PM
This is Ford vs. Carter all over again, either result is noxious.

misterdecibel
09-07-2008, 11:06 PM
There are sixteen cities in the US with populations greater than the state of Alaska, I'd propose that any of their mayors would be more qualified.

gail
09-07-2008, 11:22 PM
There are sixteen cities in the US with populations greater than the state of Alaska, I'd propose that any of their mayors would be more qualified.

Our mayor Oscar Goodman, one-time mob attorney, is going to run for senate against Harry Reid. I will vote for him too. He threaten to cut off the thumbs of these taggers, and he put a guy in jail for 4 days because he said a disparaging word against the strippers - his girls, he called them.

I guess if actors can move into politics, so can mayors.

misterdecibel
09-08-2008, 04:07 AM
You're voting against a Mormon?

Eric
09-08-2008, 07:47 AM
It's funny how the GOP Kool Aid drinkers love to fob off all criticism of Wonder Womb as "fear". Do you people all get your talking points from the same place?

They do, actually. The GOP has a very well-oiled propaganda machine. The talking points flow from Karl Rove's office (and other coordinated PR elements of the GOP establishment) to tools such as Rush Limbaugh, who then dispense the Kool Aid to the fambuhly values/gawd/flag crowd that comprises the core of the GOP's support. These people don't read/view/consult other media (which is all "liberal") to try to discern the facts.

They just sit and listen to His Master's Voice.

An example: I noticed almost immediately the way some Palin supporters began to try to deflect the (legitimate) issue of her absolute lack of any foreign policy credentials by pointing out (hilariously) that Alaska is close to Russia, geographically speaking - and that Palin is (even more hilariously) commander of the Alaska National Guard. The way these points are made by the GOP dittoheads - scripted, virtually identical "arguments" - indicates to me they issue from a common source and are simply being regurgitated.

These people are as addled as the hard core left; I just don't know which of them is worse!

Eric
09-08-2008, 07:56 AM
"... he put a guy in jail for 4 days because he said a disparaging word against the strippers - his girls, he called them."

So, you'll vote for a self-admitted thug who put a person in jail for saying something he didn't like?

Gail, do you even begin to see why your views might trouble a person who values the rule of law and a constitutional government?

Comments such as the one above - along with your previous statements of support for "my country, right or wrong" and "nuking" the various "enemies of freedom" out there - reveal an authoritarian if not totalitarian mindset. You say you're a conservative, but you constantly advocate for and defend polices and views that are essentially fascist.

Follow The Leader. He must never be questioned. Embrace the Flag. Venerate the military....

misterdecibel
09-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Heil!

gail
09-08-2008, 08:19 PM

I don't vote "Mormon" I vote issues, and his stand is totally opposite to mine. I hope that my vote is the deciding vote to oust him.

Eric
09-08-2008, 08:27 PM

I don't vote "Mormon" I vote issues, and his stand is totally opposite to mine. I hope that my vote is the deciding vote to oust him.

And yet you were an enthusiastic supporter of Mitt Romney....

gail
09-08-2008, 08:35 PM

And yet you were an enthusiastic supporter of Mitt Romney....
Mitt's views were similar to mine, not because he was Mormon. If it were a contest between Mitt and Sarah, I would choose Sarah though.

You guys get an idea in your head and start running with it - whether you have all the facts or not.

Eric
09-08-2008, 08:43 PM
"Mitt's views were similar to mine, not because he was Mormon. If it were a contest between Mitt and Sarah, I would choose Sarah though."

Now she's "Sarah," eh? Do you know her personally?

Again - it's interesting how you hero-worship and venerate pols you like, when pols in today's America (at least, pols who are Democrats or Republicans) are venal, power-lusting tools whose sole purpose is the aggrandizement of themselves and their big ticket supporters.

Palin is just another stalking horse for the same interests that run the country. She is not your friend.

I wish you and millions of others weren't so easily dazzled - and addled - by gawd and flag and fambuhly talk... .

gail
09-08-2008, 09:36 PM
"Mitt's views were similar to mine, not because he was Mormon. If it were a contest between Mitt and Sarah, I would choose Sarah though."

Now she's "Sarah," eh? Do you know her personally?

Again - it's interesting how you hero-worship and venerate pols you like, when pols in today's America (at least, pols who are Democrats or Republicans) are venal, power-lusting tools whose sole purpose is the aggrandizement of themselves and their big ticket supporters.

Palin is just another stalking horse for the same interests that run the country. She is not your friend.

I wish you and millions of others weren't so easily dazzled - and addled - by gawd and flag and fambuhly talk... .

Sarah is such a good old-fashion name - it just screams Americana, old time value, and yes, family. I wish that I would have the opportunity to meet her in person, and I'm sure that I would be dumb-struck, and she would be just as down to earth and polite to me as if we were on the same plane.

Besides, isn't it refreshing to hear about someone other than Brittney and Hillary?

misterdecibel
09-09-2008, 04:34 AM
"It's not about issues, it's about personality." That's the new GOP mantra.

Eric
09-09-2008, 07:53 AM
"Sarah is such a good old-fashion name - it just screams Americana, old time value, and yes, family."

Right. A multimillionaire heiresses who supports statism, militarism, authoritarianism and corporate cronyism (the GOP's core policies in practice - despite the BS "conservative" talk you hear around election time), advocates the teaching of Creation "science," believes rape victims should have to bear the offspring of their attackers, thinks we're doing "God's work" by invading and occupying Iraq, killing tens of thousands of people in the process, "just screams" Americana.

Maybe your twisted "Americana" of theocracy, empire and illiberalism.

Not mine. Certainly not the America that once was.

" I wish that I would have the opportunity to meet her in person, and I'm sure that I would be dumb-struck, and she would be just as down to earth and polite to me as if we were on the same plane."

This reminds me of the jock-sniffers who worship fuhhhhhhhhhhtball players. Makes me ill. You are so naive, Gail. Sarah Barracuda would shiv you in the liver without thinking for a second about it - if she thought it would enhance her fortunes. But simple-minded GOP Kool-Aid slurpers are easily gulled by lotsa gawd talk, flag-waving and tot-toting fambuhly values BS. (The other night, Palin actually used the phrase, "middle class folks just like us" during a speech. And the idiot seals out in the audience actually clapped.)

"Besides, isn't it refreshing to hear about someone other than Brittney ... "

Funny how six months ago McSame/Goutman was constantly comparing Odumbo to vapid celebrities like Brittney, based on his supposedly weak resume and lack of experience to be president.... and now he chooses a vapid trollop with an even weaker resume and even less experience than Odumbo, who is after all at least a U.S. senator from a major state and a Harvard Law grad (vs. a sportscaster/beauty queen bimbo mayor of a town half the size of my one stoplight rural SW Va. county who has been governor of a physically huge but depopulated state for all of 22 months).

But again, you Kool Aid drinkers simply snap to, reverse course and begin spouting the new line with all the insane fervor given to the previous line.

Oceana is at war with Eastasia!
Oceana has always been at war with Eastasia!

misterdecibel
09-10-2008, 04:33 AM
I love Big Brother.

Eric
09-10-2008, 07:54 AM
I love Big Brother.

Apparently, so does Gail - provided he's wrapped up in the flaaaaaaag and talks about gawd and fambuhly values.....

gail
09-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Sarah: How a Hockey Mom Turned Alaska’s Political Establishment Upside Down

http://shop.newsmax.com/shop/index.cfm?page=products&productid=618?s=al&promo_code=6B2B-1

Eric
09-24-2008, 06:49 AM
Newsmax is a neo-con/GOP organ; posting a defense of Palin from there is like a liberal posting something from Moveon.org

The only people buying into the "hockey mom reformer" BS are the dedicated Kool Aid drinkers; same people who guzzled up The Chimp's swill these past seven years....

misterdecibel
09-25-2008, 03:38 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=73Yx-RhHb4g

Is there anything in there? I'm amazed her skull doesn't implode from the vacuum. Ready to lead on day 1, right...

Eric
09-25-2008, 04:36 PM

Is there anything in there? I'm amazed her skull doesn't implode from the vacuum. Ready to lead on day 1, right...

Jeez. You can almost hear her little pea-brain struggling to remember the talking points and stay "on message." Just like The Chimp. Great.

Only more religious.

And: America's "waiting to hear what John McCain is going to do" to save us? WTF? I was wishing Couric had remembered McCain's own comment that he "needed to be educated" about economics.... .

misterdecibel
09-25-2008, 09:42 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/slogans7/shirt.jpg

gail
09-25-2008, 10:19 PM

I had not seen this video. All-in-all, though, I feel that she did an outstanding job.

Let me ask you and others - posters and lurkers alike - have you ever been on a TV talk show where you had no script, the questions came out of left field, and you knew that the host was hostile to your position? I have. It is tremendously difficult to keep your wits about you, as you weigh each word, knowing that almost anything you say can and probably will be twisted, taken out of context and usually mocked. Often the question thrown at you is with the deliberate intent to catch you off-guard. If you answer too slow it is said that you don't know what you are talking about, if your answer is too rapid you are accused of being "rehearsed."

When I was on the Today Show I had been told that prior to the show going on the air live, that as soon as Bryant Gumble had made the introductions I could break in at any time. Well, every time I tried to get a word in edgewise, Gumble tromped all over me and once said, condescendingly, "Mrs. Morrison -- pleeease!" His parting shot was, "Well, Mrs. Morrison, how do you feel about being responsible for an additional 3,600 fatalities each year on the highways?" I was so dumbfounded and even though I tried to convey that the figure he quoted was an arbitrary figure - as far as Gumble, and the general public were concern it was a FACT! This information came out later, but not in time for me to save face. Nor did I ever get an apology form Gumble. NMA members from around the nation telephoned headquarters demanded to know who the idiot was and to get rid of me.

I have the utmost respect and sympathy for Sarah Palin facing those vultures.

PS the Today Show that I refer to aired 29 Nov 1995 in respect to the repeal of the National Maximum Speed Limit. Maybe it is a YouTube by now. Who knows.

In the meantime show some respect. I'm sure that your mothers have reared you better than you all have been behaving on Gail's Rant.

gail
09-25-2008, 10:57 PM
"Not naive, Eric, Savvy. "

Naive - and uninformed.

Have you looked into her actual record? It is typical Republican hog-troughing; you seem to think "welfare" and "big government" are only bad when the largesse flows to some poor person vs. big business.

Are you really so daft as to imagine McSame - and the Republican Party - would put anyone other than one of their own on the ticket? Apparently, you are.

So long as she luvs the unborn, hates fags, reads the bahbul, wears a flag pin and wants to kill "evidldoers," you'll support her as rabidly as the typical German supported Der Fuhrer all those years ago.

I am neither naive nor uninformed. I don't waste my time with sophomoric parodies. I have continually been kind, patient and respectful of your opinions. That is all they are -- opinions, not facts. I grow weary of your disrespect of my opinions. I don't try to force you to believe as I do, stop trying to force me into accepting yours. I do read what you post, I weigh and research on my own and then decide to accept or reject what you have posted. It is difficult for me to take you seriously when you spin out of control with unacceptable or impropriety, as if they make a case of fact. They don't! Trust me on this.

You might try a few of these virtues that Sarah and I share - the love of life and the belief that all life is precious from conception until a natural death, regardless of the condition of the person. Go ahead wear a pin of the American flag, or better yet erect a flag pole and fly your colors high. Be proud of your country. I am. One must have a faith to even know who the "evildoers" are. The concept has gotten very murky in these latter days. As for Nazi Germany, your obsession with this concept is frightening. However, the only regime that we need to fear in that context are the Radical Terrorists, and the radical left such as yourself who just can't seem to grasp the danger we are in.

Now - it is your time to rail on me in your usual overbearing, arrogant manner.

Eric
09-26-2008, 08:26 AM
"I have continually been kind, patient and respectful of your opinions. That is all they are -- opinions, not facts."

Bullshit - and that is where I draw the line, Gail

I could produce a litany of examples; here are a few recent ones.

Palin lied about her support for the "bridge." A fact beyond dispute.
McCain dogmatically supported "free trade" policies such as NAFTA and Gatt. Fact.

You simply refuse to acknowledge such facts - and counter that my pointing them out is merely my "opinion."

Again, bullshit.

Eric
09-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Gail,

Here is Palin's response to a question during an interview about her foreign policy experience:

COURIC: Have you ever been involved with any negotiations, for example, with the Russians?

PALIN: We have trade missions back and forth. We-- we do-- it's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia as Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where-- where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is-- from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to-- to our state.

Here's some more:

COURIC: Why isn't it better, Governor Palin, to spend $700 billion helping middle-class families struggling with health care, housing, gas and groceries? ... Instead of helping these big financial institutions that played a role in creating this mess?

PALIN: Ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up the economy- Oh, it's got to be about job creation too. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions

The woman is either an airhead or grossly out of her depth (or both), just like The Chimp. After 7 years of one out-of-his-depth arrogant fool, we do not need another one.

I suspect, however, that you see yourself so much in your "Sarah" that your support for her will only grow.

You ain't no better n' me!

Family values!

The flaaaag!

swamprat
09-26-2008, 09:21 AM
"Ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up the economy- Oh, it's got to be about job creation too. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions"

She apparently has problems with the English language and the idea of formulating a clear thought or sentence.

She is George Bush with lipstick and glasses apparently. I can see why people would find her superficially appealing, but that is why major sectors of the population should be forced to turn in their voting cards. It would be great to collect them and throw them in the trash.

Eric
09-26-2008, 09:25 AM
"Ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up the economy- Oh, it's got to be about job creation too. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions"

She apparently has problems with the English language and the idea of formulating a clear thought or sentence.

She is George Bush with lipstick and glasses apparently. I can see why people would find her superficially appealing, but that is why major sectors of the population should be forced to turn in their voting cards. It would be great to collect them and throw them in the trash.

It's pathetic.

A view behind the curtain, though....

You get to see her robotically reciting her memorized talking points; she just forgot the order of recitation....

As far as voting: I have always argued that only those who file a 1099 (and pay income tax) should be allowed to vote; and there ought to be a test of basic knowledge about the Constitution, Bill of Rights and structure/function of our government before a person may vote.

D_E_Davis
09-26-2008, 11:07 AM
As far as voting: I have always argued that only those who file a 1099 (and pay income tax) should be allowed to vote; and there ought to be a test of basic knowledge about the Constitution, Bill of Rights and structure/function of our government before a person may vote.

But...but...there's only 137 people in the whole country who meet those criteria.

Eric
09-26-2008, 12:53 PM

But...but...there's only 137 people in the whole country who meet those criteria.

True!

swamprat
09-26-2008, 01:42 PM

I don't think that anyone should be required to file 1099's or any other illegal IRS form to file for taxes they don't owe.

It's pathetic.

A view behind the curtain, though....

You get to see her robotically reciting her memorized talking points; she just forgot the order of recitation....

misterdecibel
09-26-2008, 01:58 PM
McCain Camp insiders say Palin "clueless"
Capitol Hill sources are telling me that senior McCain people
are more than concerned about Palin. The campaign has held
a mock debate and a mock press conference; both are being described as "disastrous." One senior McCain aide was quoted as saying, "What are we going to do?" The McCain people want to move this first debate to some later, undetermined date, possibly never. People on the inside are saying the Alaska Governor is "clueless."

http://www.wegoted.com/todayonshow/index.asp

swamprat
09-26-2008, 02:06 PM
You can look at it two ways. One, she is absolutely clueless on all policy matters or that her ideas conflict with the establishment wonk garbage that McCan and others would like to put forth. The same things were said about Reagan, however, I recognize that Sarah Palin is no Ronald Reagan. Neither is McCan, the white headed cockroach.