PDA

View Full Version : The truth about Palin and her "Bridge to Nowhere"

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
09-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Watch this footage of Palin endorsing the "Bridge to Nowhere" boondoggle she now claims to have fought:

http://www.alternet.org/blogs/video/#98180

Not that the truth of her hog-troughing and corporate glad-handing matters. She has fambuhly values.....

swamprat
09-10-2008, 07:58 AM
Watch this footage of Palin endorsing the "Bridge to Nowhere" boondoggle she now claims to have fought:

Not that the truth of her hog-troughing and corporate glad-handing matters. She has fambuhly values.....

Yeah. It makes me want to hurl. I can't stand that steaming BS pile. Listening to her on the stump, she sounds like a lipstick version of Hiliary Clinton with 6 kids.

Eric
09-10-2008, 08:11 AM

Yeah. It makes me want to hurl. I can't stand that steaming BS pile. Listening to her on the stump, she sounds like a lipstick version of Hiliary Clinton with 6 kids.

The other day, she said, "middle class folks like us" are a-hurtin'..... (italics mine). This, from a millionaire heiress who has never had to worry about money her entire life.

But so long as she salts her BS with gawd and fambuhly and flag, the same BS that people like Gail would deride had Hillary said it gets flipper-slapping applause....

Karl Rove's contempt for the average voter's intellect is well-founded.

Eric
09-13-2008, 07:33 AM

Notice no acknowledgement by Gail of Palin's irrefutable factual duplicity on this score. If she does reply, it'll be with some breezy, dismissive comment along the lines of, "all politicians do it."

This is the Chimponian reflex in action. They will never admit when they're wrong, even when cornered and it's not possible to deny it. Instead, they just try to change the subject.

That is one of the things I can't stand about modern "conservatives" - their intellectual dishonesty. In the past, conservatives usually abided by the rules of reason and when a fact came to light they acknowledged it and changed course accordingly. A case in point is the reaction to the revelations about Nixon. It was conservatives (Barry Goldwater among them) who refused to aid and abet Nixon's abuse of office; it was conservatives who told him he had to resign - or be impeached.

Today's "conservatives" believe in just one thing: Anything goes, so long as it's our side doing it.

gail
09-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Eric wrote <<Notice no acknowledgement by Gail of Palin's irrefutable factual duplicity on this score. If she does reply, it'll be with some breezy, dismissive comment along the lines of, "all politicians do it." >>

Sarah might be knock knee too. But she probably has her own breasts, as one can't breastfeed with implants.

Off-the-wall? You bet, but no further off than you guys are. You grab a mote of truth and run with it before you get all the facts. Or maybe you all are like a bunch of adolescence rebelling against Mom & Pop, so anything in the government is cause to protest. Mature people, like myself, will focus on a problem and then work to change or alter the problem. I don't sit around with my arms crossed, whining, "I'm again' it!"

Yes, Gail has heard about the 'Bridge to Nowhere." and the leftists milking it for all it's worth. When in fact, the so-called 'Bridge to Nowhere,' initially was to open up a way for some Island people to drive to the mainland. It certainly sounded like a good idea, and if I was in her position or on the Island I would have endorsed it too. Sarah (and all her constitutes call her that) decided that it would cost too much to build and even more to maintain, so she promised additional ferries for the Island population.

Next question - - -

gail
09-13-2008, 07:07 PM

The other day, she said, "middle class folks like us" are a-hurtin'..... (italics mine). This, from a millionaire heiress who has never had to worry about money her entire life.

But so long as she salts her BS with gawd and fambuhly and flag, the same BS that people like Gail would deride had Hillary said it gets flipper-slapping applause....

Karl Rove's contempt for the average voter's intellect is well-founded.

Where did you get the millionaire heiress who has never had to worry about money her entire life bit? Her father was a school teacher, her mother a secretary at the same school. Sarah worked for scolarships to go to college. Are you getting her confused with Cindy McCain or Theresa Heintz Kerry?

Eric
09-13-2008, 07:50 PM
As I predicted, you'll twist and writhe and contort yourself into whatever shape is required to get around dealing with the central fact that Palin - like all these shysters - is a double talking hypocrite hog-trougher who wheedles and games the system for the benefit of herself and her cronies/backers... and then has the effrontery to deny she's done it.

But you wuv her because she talks about gaaawd and has "fambuhly values" and wants to nuke the "evildoers" .... you think she's your friend; you address her as if you knew her personally - when she's just a prop for Goutman to sucker the pea brains .... again.

gail
09-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Re: The truth about Palin and her "Bridge to Nowhere"
Reply #7 on: Today at 10:45:34 PM Quote Modify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all the Bridge was not to nowhere it was;

By Bret Schulte
Posted 7/31/05
In Ketchikan, Alaska, home to about 8,000 people, community leaders complain the town is suffering for lack of land for development. "This is a community that's choking on itself," says Blaine Ashcraft, business manager of the Ketchikan Chamber of Commerce. With tourists streaming in, Ketchikan's sights are fixed on building a bridge to nearby Gravina Island, home to 50 people, 1,800 acres of available timber in the Tongass National Forest, and the community's airport, accessible now by a seven-minute ferry ride.

The proposed bridge would be nearly as long as the Golden Gate Bridge and high enough for cruise ships to pass underneath. It's being paid for in part by $223 million worth of designated funds, so-called earmarks, included in the $286.4 billion federal highway and mass transit bill getting wrapped up by Congress last week. Critics call it the Bridge to Nowhere, and cite it as a prime example of congressional pork. "It is an abomination," says Steve Ellis of Taxpayers for Common Sense, a fiscal watchdog group. But Alaska Rep. Don Young, chair of the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, earmarked the project as "high priority." He's not alone. Members of Congress stuffed the final legislation with more than 6,300 earmarks worth about $23 billion. "It's sort of like building highways by ransom," says Stephen Slivinski, a budget analyst at the libertarian Cato Institute. "They divide the spoils in exchange for a vote on the bill."

This story appears in the August 8, 2005 print edition of U.S. News & World Report.

Second of all Congress asks for earmarks not Governors, just like Senators and Congresswomen and Congressmen. Governors have the veto powers like the President has veto powers.

Third, until one is elected and sitting at their desk reading the "bill" no one truly knows all the details within that individual bill.

Fourth after reading the full details of the bill and the mess that it would create for Alaska and realizing that "earmarks" require matching funds, and after evaluating the State of the Alaska's budget, Gov. Palin vetoed the bill, so as no to entangle Alaska in Washington D.C.'s mess. Gov. Palin did not want to spend their existing budget on matching funds, if this job could be done cheaper using Alaskans. http://www.uaf.edu/grcon/TPublishing/Handout%205.pdf