PDA

View Full Version : Why are Conservatives Conservative?

Valentine One Radar Detector

misterdecibel
09-16-2008, 12:15 AM
http://edge.org/3rd_culture/haidt08/haidt08_index.html

A bit long-winded, and verging on sophistry, but there are some interesting points.

A couple of excerpts that I like:

"conservatism is a partially heritable personality trait that predisposes some people to be cognitively inflexible, fond of hierarchy, and inordinately afraid of uncertainty, change, and death."

When Republicans say that Democrats "just don't get it," this is the "it" to which they refer. Conservative positions on gays, guns, god, and immigration must be understood as means to achieve one kind of morally ordered society. When Democrats try to explain away these positions using pop psychology they err, they alienate, and they earn the label "elitist." But how can Democrats learn to see—let alone respect—a moral order they regard as narrow-minded, racist, and dumb?

gail
09-16-2008, 01:08 AM
I was more of a "swing voter" in the past than I am now. I was a Southern Democrat and proud of it, but somewhere along the way the Democrat party got hijacked by the left-wing liberals. The Party platform started adding things that I couldn't support. About the same time the Republican Party started changing too, and their Platform started sounding more like what I wanted to support. I watch carefully to make sure that the parties don't flip-flop again, or zoom out of my reach. I have been eyeing up the Libertarian Party as well, but they seem to be so far out of the main stream that I feel a vote would be wasted. Bob Barr is running on the ticket this year and I don't care for him personally. He lived around the corner from me in DC and I went to a couple of gatherings that he held. You can tell a lot about a person when you meet them.

TC
09-16-2008, 11:36 AM
I was more of a "swing voter" in the past than I am now. I was a Southern Democrat and proud of it, but somewhere along the way the Democrat party got hijacked by the left-wing liberals. The Party platform started adding things that I couldn't support. About the same time the Republican Party started changing too, and their Platform started sounding more like what I wanted to support. I watch carefully to make sure that the parties don't flip-flop again, or zoom out of my reach. I have been eyeing up the Libertarian Party as well, but they seem to be so far out of the main stream that I feel a vote would be wasted. Bob Barr is running on the ticket this year and I don't care for him personally. He lived around the corner from me in DC and I went to a couple of gatherings that he held. You can tell a lot about a person when you meet them.

Is it true that more Democrats change to Republican than vice versa.

gail
09-16-2008, 01:10 PM

Is it true that more Democrats change to Republican than vice versa.

I think I know the answer to this one.

gail
09-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Re: Why are Conservatives Conservative?
« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:34:37 PM » Quote Modify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"conservatism is a partially heritable personality trait that predisposes some people to be cognitively inflexible, fond of hierarchy, and inordinately afraid of uncertainty, change, and death."

verging on sophistry

No I don't think verging is the word you were looking for here. More like IS sophistry and down right baseless.

And laughable on face value. If one wants to argue nurture than there may be some validity in that argument but "heritable personality trait"

Please!!

swamprat
09-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Re: Why are Conservatives Conservative?
« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:34:37 PM » Quote Modify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

verging on sophistry

No I don't think verging is the word you were looking for here. More like IS sophistry and down right baseless.

And laughable on face value. If one wants to argue nurture than there may be some validity in that argument but "heritable personality trait"

Please!!

I agree with Gail on that point. If conservatives are "congnitively inflexible" or whatever that means, so, too are many partisan Democrats.

They seem to like forcing laws down our throat to "make us safe," and to control the behavior of others. If that isn't being fond of hierarchy, I don't know what is.

I think that that the excerpt is sophistry at its best, but I will have to read the whole thing to make a complete conclusion.