PDA

View Full Version : Palin being "annointed" against witchcraft

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
09-24-2008, 03:28 PM
This video's pretty disturbing; Palin comes in for her "annointing" around the 7 minute mark:

http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/17409

gail
09-24-2008, 05:10 PM
This video's pretty disturbing; Palin comes in for her "annointing" around the 7 minute mark:

It's disturbing alright. Can you imagine prim Sarah in church wearing slacks. Gasp! The horror of it all. Could the hatemongers fouled up and Sarah's lookalike wandered in to the scene dressed inappropriately. But of course, you don't go to strict churches so you wouldn't know that women still wear dresses or skirts. Mormon meetings even at beach or ski resorts still wear dresses or skirts and the men wear white shirts and ties. I know that Sarah isn't a Mormon, but seeing how she dresses, I can't imagine that she would show up for a church service in slacks. But then, I'm been known to be wrong a time or two.

Eric
09-24-2008, 05:58 PM

It's disturbing alright. Can you imagine prim Sarah in church wearing slacks. Gasp! The horror of it all. Could the hatemongers fouled up and Sarah's lookalike wandered in to the scene dressed inappropriately. But of course, you don't go to strict churches so you wouldn't know that women still wear dresses or skirts. Mormon meetings even at beach or ski resorts still wear dresses or skirts and the men wear white shirts and ties. I know that Sarah isn't a Mormon, but seeing how she dresses, I can't imagine that she would show up for a church service in slacks. But then, I'm been known to be wrong a time or two.

Who said anything about her slacks?

What's troubling is her willing in participation in a bizarre rite; that she belongs to a church that believes in such dangerous nonsense.

Try to understand, Gail, that those of us who don't want a theocracy, don't "believe" that this or that is "god's will" - are bothered by displays like this....

gail
09-24-2008, 10:47 PM
[quote=Eric ]

Who said anything about her slacks?

I did. She just wouldn't have worn slacks to a church service.

What's troubling is her willing in participation in a bizarre rite; that she belongs to a church that believes in such dangerous nonsense.

Most Americans believe in varying degrees, Eric. You are in the minority on this issue.

Try to understand, Gail, that those of us who don't want a theocracy, don't "believe" that this or that is "god's will" - are bothered by displays like this....

I do understand how uncomfortable you feel over the religious issues, but they aren't going to go away. Every president that I know of how attended church. I don't even know of a congress person that doesn't profess some type of religion, do you?

As to the church video that you posted, I think it is a fake or an impostor. I do not think it is Sarah at all. Here is a web site that shows her, in a skirt, speaking in a church. It will still be painful for you to watch, but it will not be like the one you posted.

Except for the national spotlight, Wasilla Bible Church resembles thousands of conservative evangelical churches across the country.

http://wthrockmorton.com/2008/09/02/some-light-on-sarah-palins-church-affiliation/

Eric
09-25-2008, 09:10 AM
The legitimacy of that video is not in question; it's her.

And while you're quite right (unfortunately) that there are legions of dimwits out there who share and "amen" such bizarre views, it's no less appalling to people who aren't addled by idiocies such as a belief in witchcraft and devil-possessed territory, who don't babble in gibberish ('tongue talking") handle snakes, writhe on the floor "in the spirit" - or believe the GOP is god's chosen instrument in the world and lust for the coming "rapture."

Those who believe in such insane nonsense are free to do so, of course. But no one who practices or even condones such crap should be allowed near public office - and access to power over others.

Ken
09-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Those who believe in such insane nonsense are free to do so, of course. But no one who practices or even condones such crap should be allowed near public office - and access to power over others.

AMEN, I say Amen brother (shakes tambourine, swings incense burner and self flagellates with thorn bush branches). The fact that our ex Prime Minister (Tony B.Liar) thought 'God' was giving him personal guidance was, to me, the first signs of impending insanity. This feeling was reinforced when he handed over the reins to Gordon Brown, the biggest incompetent in the Labour party's history. ;D

Ken.

Eric
09-26-2008, 08:52 AM
And - I can only imagine your eruption if a video surfaced showing Odumbo being "annointed" by some crazed Imam.... but I forget - your fundie religious insanity is the "true faith."

gail
09-26-2008, 01:56 PM

AMEN, I say Amen brother (shakes tambourine, swings incense burner and self flagellates with thorn bush branches). The fact that our ex Prime Minister (Tony B.Liar) thought 'God' was giving him personal guidance was, to me, the first signs of impending insanity. This feeling was reinforced when he handed over the reins to Gordon Brown, the biggest incompetent in the Labour party's history. ;D

Ken.

You do realize that you are in the minority in the Go/faith issue, don't you? Recent polls show that 92 % of the people believe in God. 75% of the people polled prayed everyday. A person would not get elected if they didn't profess a faith in God.

One who has never had a spiritual experience can never understand. Although most people if not all have had one, often they don't recognize it. Scientist have proven that people with a deep faith in God fare better in a crisis, or disaster than those who do not have faith. Excuse me - the Lord calls.

Ken
09-26-2008, 03:40 PM

Ken.

You do realize that you are in the minority in the Go/faith issue, don't you? Recent polls show that 92 % of the people believe in God. 75% of the people polled prayed everyday. A person would not get elected if they didn't profess a faith in God.

One who has never had a spiritual experience can never understand. Although most people if not all have had one, often they don't recognize it. Scientist have proven that people with a deep faith in God fare better in a crisis, or disaster than those who do not have faith. Excuse me - the Lord calls.

I have no objection to being in a minority, Gail. Maybe I am merely one of the minority to has not just been blindly indoctrinated but has actually attended Sunday School, regularly attended church, read about religion, thought about religion, had many theological discussions with ministers of various faiths, looked at what has been done in the world in the name of religion and finally, after a few years consideration, made up my own mind. To base actions on an indoctrinated, blind, unproven belief is, to me, living an unthinking life. I fully accept that there are many, many people who NEED a belief in a greater power, an afterlife, heaven and everlasting life in order to survive - thankfully I am not one of them - to slightly alter a very old phrase 'I am the captain of my fate and the master of my being.' When disaster strikes and the God believers are all on their knees praying, I would sooner be sorting out what needs to be done to help me, and those around me, survive. I can assure you that your professed God will not be there to help. When being shot at in the Canal Zone (Suez), God, as at any other time of crisis/danger in my life, never clouded my mind with unecessary and useless emotion.

The above comments are purely to explain where I am coming from and are in no way intended to try and influence anyone else's thoughts or provoke discussion. Religion and politics, as I have said before, I consider to be the two greatest evils in today's world and not really worthy of argument.

Ken.

gail
09-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Are there any non-atheist on this thread? Do I stand alone? It is curious that i should end up with the 5% of non-believers. Maybe I have a mission and didn't know it.

Just rest assure that while we are waiting for the crisis/danger I am preparing for it. As you might know Mormon are taught to do that. Do what? Be self-suficient for a whole year if necessary. We are also taught to share, so if you haven't you can come on over to my place, even if you don't have a prayer in your heart. ;)

Eric
09-26-2008, 04:46 PM
"You do realize that you are in the minority in the Go/faith issue, don't you?"

People with college educations (and IQs over 120) are in the minority, also.

A correlation, perhaps?

Ken
09-26-2008, 05:38 PM
People with college educations (and IQs over 120) are in the minority, also. A correlation, perhaps?

There could be something in that, Eric. ;) Catholicism and Islam for example, both religions for the masses, both typically overbearing, rant and rave, hellfire for all unbelievers, both have most power in underdeveloped/poorer countries with a high percentage of peasant populace.

Ken.

gail
09-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Have fun, guys, patting each other on the back and high-fiving while making fun of the rest of 95% of us. ::)

Ken
09-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Have fun, guys, patting each other on the back and high-fiving while making fun of the rest of 95% of us. ::)

No fun, no high fives, they are not logical, just expressing a thought. Are the greatest religious pressures to be found in the areas of greatest ignorance and poverty?

Ken.

Eric
09-27-2008, 08:03 AM

Being in the majority doesn't make you right; that's my first response.

Second, you're attempting a package deal when you say "95 percent." In fact, its only religious belief (broadly defined) that is in the majority. Most religious people are, in fact, not Christians. They're Muslims of one kind or another. And even within Christianity, there are schisms/dividing lines over "brands" of it. And then, of course, there are other religions such as Mormonism - which by any fair standard i something else again!

Eric
09-27-2008, 08:04 AM
Being in the majority doesn't make you right; that's my first response.

Second, you're attempting a package deal when you say "95 percent." In fact, its only religious belief (broadly defined) that is in the majority. Most religious people are, in fact, not Christians. They're Muslims of one kind or another. And even within Christianity, there are schisms/dividing lines over "brands" of it. And then, of course, there are other religions such as Mormonism - which by any fair standard is something else again!

gail
09-27-2008, 02:38 PM

No fun, no high fives, they are not logical, just expressing a thought. Are the greatest religious pressures to be found in the areas of greatest ignorance and poverty?

Ken.

What? I'd bet smart and rich if I dennounce my religious beliefs? Could you throw in thin and young too? Getting ready to traurge out on my Rally Legend scooter to my 2004 Chrysler Town and County Limited handicap accessible minivan to drive to Primm to buy a lottery ticket in hopes of becoming rich. Say a little prayer for me.

Ken
09-27-2008, 03:18 PM

Ken.

What? I'd bet smart and rich if I dennounce my religious beliefs? Could you throw in thin and young too? Getting ready to traurge out on my Rally Legend scooter to my 2004 Chrysler Town and County Limited handicap accessible minivan to drive to Primm to buy a lottery ticket in hopes of becoming rich. Say a little prayer for me.

You are misinterpreting my proposition, Gail, denouncing your belief would probably have absolutely no effect, except possibly making you feel very alone for a while until you began to realise that you, and you alone, control your destiny. I was posing a question - Are the greatest religious pressures found in areas of maximum ignorance and poverty? I have always found it odd that a religion such a Catholicism, with all its wealth and grand panoply of office is so prevalent in countries such as Spain, Brazil, Mexico, Phillipines, Italy, Poland, Colombia, to name but a few. A poorly educated and superstitious population is much easier to 'milk' than an enlightened one, throw your money in the offertory, don't forget your tithe or hellfire will beckon. As I said, just a thought, not even one of significance really.

Ken.

gail
09-27-2008, 08:24 PM

Ken.

What? I'd bet smart and rich if I denounce my religious beliefs? Could you throw in thin and young too? Getting ready to trudge out on my Rally Legend scooter to my 2004 Chrysler Town and County Limited handicap accessible minivan to drive to Primm to buy a lottery ticket in hopes of becoming rich. Say a little prayer for me.

You are misinterpreting my proposition, Gail, denouncing your belief would probably have absolutely no effect, except possibly making you feel very alone for a while until you began to realise that you, and you alone, control your destiny. I was posing a question - Are the greatest religious pressures found in areas of maximum ignorance and poverty? I have always found it odd that a religion such a Catholicism, with all its wealth and grand panoply of office is so prevalent in countries such as Spain, Brazil, Mexico, Phillipines, Italy, Poland, Colombia, to name but a few. A poorly educated and superstitious population is much easier to 'milk' than an enlightened one, throw your money in the offertory, don't forget your tithe or hellfire will beckon. As I said, just a thought, not even one of significance really.

Ken.

I didn't misinterpreting your proposition - I was playing with you. I guess that I should have inserted an emotioncon. :P While I take my religious beliefs very seriously, I have no problem seeing the lightheartedness of situations and occasions.

There is no comparing Catholism with Mormonism. All Mormons are saints, few Catholics are. All Mormon men, in good standing, from the age of 12 up hold the priesthood, most adult men are married. The Mormon Church is a lay church. There are very few paid positions, but most members have a calling. There is never a collection plate passed in a Mormon meeting, and only members in good standing can contribute money. All members in good health are expected to give service to each other and to the community constantly and continueally. I hold two callings at the present time, they are Sunday greeter which I share those duties with my husband and another couple. I am also the Ward Family History Consultant. Those duties I also share with another person and at the present time we have 5 people that we are helping to research their family history.

As an example of what church members do in the line of service in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike the church sent out:

* 80,640 hygiene kits (six truckloads).
* 8,064 cleaning kits (four truckloads).
* Four truckloads of water.
* 11,520 blankets (two truckloads).
* 4,800 food boxes (four truckloads) which include rice, vegetable oil, peanut butter, fruit drink mix, and assorted canned goods. Each food box will feed a family of four for a week to 10 days.
* Food, water, generators, sleeping bags, tools, chain saws, tarps and other items.
More than 2,519 man days of labor has been provided by Church members volunteering. The volunteers wore yellow "Mormon Helping Hands" T-shirts. They go wherever they are needed.

I definitely believe that each of us control our own destiny. The Mormons call this 'Free agency.' My beliefs state that we have come to earth to get a body and to perfect ourselves.

I do understand what you are saying about religious beliefs and poverty though. In hard times and crisis those who have a strong belief system will endure through those times. You won't find these people jumping out of windows or sticking a gun in their mouth. There is a different mindset among believers, and whatever happens to them they are resilient.

Ken
09-28-2008, 06:18 AM
There is no comparing Catholism with Mormonism. All Mormons are saints, few Catholics are. All Mormon men, in good standing, from the age of 12 up hold the priesthood, most adult men are married. The Mormon Church is a lay church. There are very few paid positions, but most members have a calling. There is never a collection plate passed in a Mormon meeting, and only members in good standing can contribute money. All members in good health are expected to give service to each other and to the community constantly and continueally. I hold two callings at the present time, they are Sunday greeter which I share those duties with my husband and another couple. I am also the Ward Family History Consultant. Those duties I also share with another person and at the present time we have 5 people that we are helping to research their family history.

As you say, Gail, there is no comparison. Despite the fact that my beliefs are so very different from yours, I have, nevertheless the greatest respect for the Mormon Church. In my younger days I had a series of theo discussions with two of the Church Elders. They were unable to shake my tenets but, I must admit, in no way was I able to shake theirs. On one visit I was tied up repairing a neighbours car so that he could go on holiday the next day. When I apologised the senior of the two immediately said that he 'Was fairly handy with a wrench and would gladly give a hand' this whilst wearing a suit and tie - I guess the tie would have cost more than my suit - That to me was someone who didn't just preach but actually practised what he professed to believe. These guys had my respect, Gail and the last evening we spent together was spent listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, now there is an experience to be enjoyed irrespective of one's beliefs.

Ken.

gail
09-28-2008, 03:19 PM

As you say, Gail, there is no comparison. Despite the fact that my beliefs are so very different from yours, I have, nevertheless the greatest respect for the Mormon Church. In my younger days I had a series of theo discussions with two of the Church Elders. They were unable to shake my tenets but, I must admit, in no way was I able to shake theirs. On one visit I was tied up repairing a neighbours car so that he could go on holiday the next day. When I apologised the senior of the two immediately said that he 'Was fairly handy with a wrench and would gladly give a hand' this whilst wearing a suit and tie - I guess the tie would have cost more than my suit - That to me was someone who didn't just preach but actually practised what he professed to believe. These guys had my respect, Gail and the last evening we spent together was spent listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, now there is an experience to be enjoyed irrespective of one's beliefs.

Ken.

I appreciate your comments, Ken. I am glad that you have had a favorable experience with my Church. Did you say that you have strong beliefs in another religion, or are you one of the atheist that post on this site?

Another thing that I would like to say about the Mormon church is in the areas of poverty that you mentioned we do more than proselyte, we send food, clothing, medical supplies and educate. Time after time my Church has succeeded in bringing entire families out of poverty. There are now 16 international training centers, these are connect with BYU, plus there is a Home School program as well.

When I lived in Washington, DC our meeting house was a converted Safeway store (not to be confused with a storefront church), as you must know there are some very bad areas in DC and a large, poor population of Blacks. As the poor from govt. housing became members and learned the ways of education and service, I had the honor of watching tough, gang teenage young men become well-groomed - white shirt and tie, missionary hair cut, etc. go on missions and college. There are countless men and women that have been lifted out of the Ghettos of America due to our way of life. We have strict rules and expectations of our youth, but it is given generously with love and money. Lives were changed in one degree or another.

Ken
09-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Gail wrote;
I appreciate your comments, Ken. I am glad that you have had a favorable experience with my Church. Did you say that you have strong beliefs in another religion, or are you one of the atheist that post on this site?

Hi, Gail. Broadly my position is that, whilst not decrying, or denying, the possibility of alternative lifeforms, I worship neither man, beast, god, God, nor devil. (The two representations of 'GOD' are intentional.)

Ken.

gail
09-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Gail wrote;

Hi, Gail. Broadly my position is that, whilst not decrying, or denying, the possibility of alternative lifeforms, I worship neither man, beast, god, God, nor devil. (The two representations of 'GOD' are intentional.)

Ken.

Everyone serves something -- 24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

(New Testament | Matthew 6:24)

My views on life are Biblical:

15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

(Old Testament | Joshua 24:15)

Eric
09-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Gail wrote;

Ken.

Everyone serves something -- 24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Why do you think posting scriptural sayings is persuasive?

Just because "it is written" doesn't mean it's true - or any more (or less) true than what is "written" in other holy books....

Ken
09-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Gail wrote;

Mathew 6:24 - Although verse 24 says 'No man can serve two masters' That does not contradict my claim that no man need serve any master. Neither need he have a master whether he serve him or no.

Joshua 24:14 - Yes it would be against my beliefs to 'serve the Lord' but I see no reason why I should have to choose any entity to serve - I have no need or reason to serve anyone or thing.

I come back to to my main argument - Those who need religion have no faith in their own power to run, control, orfulfil their own lives and destinys. Read the words underneath which, in some poor measure, explain my attitude to my life;

Ken.

There are, amongst us, many who have no belief in their ability to fulfil their own destinies. For such people there are a multitude of 'religions' and each, unless otherwise indoctrinated, may choose the religion that best suits their needs. This religion gives them something they desperately need - a reason for their existence. It gives them succour in times of stress, it gives them comfort in times of need, it gives them a higher power to reach up to, and it gives them a greater being who can forgive them their minor transgressions and grant them absolution. It enables them to function, exist and live in the fervent belief that there is a life after death so that they feel they no longer have to fear the death that comes to us all. Many believers will indoctrinate their offspring into their religion thus, to a large extent, denying them a 'free' choice. A perfect example of 'Give me the child and I will give you the man.'.

A whole person has no need for religion, he or she is fully aware that their path through life is under their control. Along that path there will be many choices to be made and each choice will lead to a new path. But each choice will be his or her choice and each choice will influence his or her destiny. A whole person accepts that at the end of life there is death and accepts that death is inevitable and everlasting. A whole person accepts his or her responsibilities as a member of the human race and, wherever he or she can, will help and assist those in need insofar as he or she is able. At the same time they recognize that those in need should be seen to be trying to help themselves as nothing can absolve them from that responsibility. In a totally idealistic situation a perfect world can only be achieved by perfect communism where each person contributes to his society according to his abilities and each person takes from his society according to his needs. A whole person recognizes that, as long as there are human beings on the face of the earth such a Utopia can never be achieved. As long as there are religions there will be wars, as long as there are religions there will be persecutions, where there are religions within religions there will be discrimination, as long as there are religions then evil will be done in their name.

gail
09-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Gail wrote;

Ken.

Why do you think posting scriptural sayings is persuasive?

Just because "it is written" doesn't mean it's true - or any more (or less) true than what is "written" in other holy books....

Why? When one has a manual for life, they refer to it for solutions and purpose. I was pointing out that we all have a god or God, but we can't worship both. I believe that to be true. then I added who I choose to serve. That's all. Not even a very deep philosophy.

Mammon means material wealth, this is the god of most people, even Christians. What is yours Eric?

Eric
09-29-2008, 07:01 PM
"Mammon means material wealth, this is the god of most people, even Christians. What is yours Eric?"

Since there is no proof for the existence of any god, I do not profess belief in any!