PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing sound

Valentine One Radar Detector

ChevyMan
09-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I was working with loose connection at the headlamp on my '76 Chevy. To check, I pulled out the headlight switch on the dashboard (the engine was off, incidentally) and I hear a buzzing sound. Can anyone explain why it buzzes?

Larry T

grouch
09-27-2008, 10:48 PM
I was working with loose connection at the headlamp on my '76 Chevy. To check, I pulled out the headlight switch on the dashboard (the engine was off, incidentally) and I hear a buzzing sound. Can anyone explain why it buzzes?

Larry T

Probably you have a headlight on buzzer and when you were fiddling with the wires, it started working again. My old '77 Chrysler had the same thing and it only worked part time.

ChevyMan
09-28-2008, 12:18 AM

Larry T

Probably you have a headlight on buzzer and when you were fiddling with the wires, it started working again. My old '77 Chrysler had the same thing and it only worked part time.

Do you mean to say it's normal for the lighting system to buzz when you turn on the headlights?

DonTom
09-28-2008, 02:00 AM
"Do you mean to say it's normal for the lighting system to buzz when you turn on the headlights?"

Only when the ignition is OFF.

It's to remind you to shut off your headlights when you turn off your ignition. For an example, a lot of people turn on their headlights on rainy days. Then they stop later, it's sunny and clear and very easy to forget to turn off the headlights. In bright sunlight, most people will not notice and will return to a vehicle with a dead battery. The buzzer prevents this.

It should NOT buzz when the ignition is on (regardless if engine is running).

But if you have a damaged ignition lock or ignition switch . . . .

-Don-