PDA

View Full Version : CWP?

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
10-01-2008, 08:29 AM
How many of you have a concealed weapons permit (CWP)? What prompted you to get one? How often do you "carry"?

I finally got mine recently after several years of not getting around to it. We live in a rural (and formerly relatively crime-free) area, but over the past two years, several incidents of seemingly random/gratuitous violence got me off my ass - and I got my permit. I never worried about security at home - but I got to the point that I felt a lot more comfortable with my pistol in the car (or out on the street) than I used to feel when unarmed.

So, what are your thoughts on concealed carry?

swamprat
10-01-2008, 02:05 PM
I believe CCPs are a Republican, cracker fascist way of registering weapons in a backdoor manner. I despise the people who pushed this idea of getting permission for something that is our constitutional right.

Eric
10-01-2008, 04:01 PM
I believe CCPs are a Republican, cracker fascist way of registering weapons in a backdoor manner. I despise the people who pushed this idea of getting permission for something that is our constitutional right.

I absolutely agree with you. But, what's the alternative? If I do not have a CWP and, during a traffic stop, am found to be carrying a pistol, I will be charged with a felony and arrested - and could go to prison.

Much as it sucks, I decided that it made more sense to play by the rules - and be legally able to carry a gun with me in my car and elsewhere.

Jim Rose
10-06-2008, 12:25 AM

I absolutely agree with you. But, what's the alternative? If I do not have a CWP and, during a traffic stop, am found to be carrying a pistol, I will be charged with a felony and arrested - and could go to prison.

Much as it sucks, I decided that it made more sense to play by the rules - and be legally able to carry a gun with me in my car and elsewhere.

And if you are stopped, make sure that you hand your CWP to the officer along with your driver license. Thay will then relax a lot because they know you are not a criminal, and it may even help you on getting just a warning. So far, it has helped me 3 times when I have been stopped.

Eric
10-06-2008, 06:52 AM

And if you are stopped, make sure that you hand your CWP to the officer along with your driver license. Thay will then relax a lot because they know you are not a criminal, and it may even help you on getting just a warning. So far, it has helped me 3 times when I have been stopped.

I've been told the same; including by the state trooper who lives down the road from us.

On that account alone, it was worth getting!