PDA

View Full Version : Military used to suppress dissent in U.S./prospect of martial law

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
10-07-2008, 08:00 AM
This article is worth reading:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/grigg/grigg-w51.html

jdm124
10-07-2008, 03:34 PM

Old, very old, news. I was in the Guard for a while about a zillion years ago and we had a bit of mob control training, it amounted to, "shoot low so you don't hit the people in back." The theory was that the leaders would be in front - today that would probably not work since mob leaders are the biggest cowards in town.

Eric
10-07-2008, 06:12 PM

Old, very old, news. I was in the Guard for a while about a zillion years ago and we had a bit of mob control training, it amounted to, "shoot low so you don't hit the people in back." The theory was that the leaders would be in front - today that would probably not work since mob leaders are the biggest cowards in town.

But these people weren't a mob - so far as I can see, anyhow. They were just "there" - out and about in a public area -and subjected to a mass arrest.

Why?

jdm124
10-07-2008, 11:57 PM

But these people weren't a mob - so far as I can see, anyhow. They were just "there" - out and about in a public area -and subjected to a mass arrest.

Why?

The real "why" is, how come this Rockwell can't write a simple expository paragraph? I can't imagine that anyone in his right mind would try to parse that vague and meaningless rant. This guy gives the pro-gun element a bad name.

I'm just assuming he means to be pro-gun.

Eric
10-08-2008, 07:35 AM

Why?

The real "why" is, how come this Rockwell can't write a simple expository paragraph? I can't imagine that anyone in his right mind would try to parse that vague and meaningless rant. This guy gives the pro-gun element a bad name.

I'm just assuming he means to be pro-gun.

Rockwell's a Libertarian; not a gun rights advocate as such. But the question remains - why were those people subjected to a mass arrest? And - does it not concern you that the military is being used to quell peaceful (and for all I can tell, perfectly legal) dissent?

jdm124
10-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Rockwell's a Libertarian; not a gun rights advocate as such. But the question remains - why were those people subjected to a mass arrest? And - does it not concern you that the military is being used to quell peaceful (and for all I can tell, perfectly legal) dissent?

I don't think it is correct to say that the Guard and the 'military' are one and the same, if that is part of Rockwell's premiss. Rockwell is a broken down bloviator, whatever set of editorial values he chooses to wear.

And you know exactly what I mean: You are a professional writer and if you wrote in Rockwell's style, you'd soon need to be learning another trade. Crappy writing suggests (or, maybe, promises) crappy thinking and who will pay attention to that?

Eric
10-08-2008, 03:52 PM

I don't think it is correct to say that the Guard and the 'military' are one and the same, if that is part of Rockwell's premiss. Rockwell is a broken down bloviator, whatever set of editorial values he chooses to wear.

And you know exactly what I mean: You are a professional writer and if you wrote in Rockwell's style, you'd soon need to be learning another trade. Crappy writing suggests (or, maybe, promises) crappy thinking and who will pay attention to that?

Well, yeah, the Guard and the military aren't the same - but they are both part of the military. Aren't they?

I'm not gonna defend Rockwell's writing; just trying to discuss the specific issues he raised....

jdm124
10-08-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm not gonna defend Rockwell's writing; just trying to discuss the specific issues he raised....

Not to quibble but that implies that one must read R's writing and I'm too d'd old for that. At a glance it looked like the use of tautologies in an effort to turn value judgment into a fact.