PDA

View Full Version : My 97 Sebring

Valentine One Radar Detector

DonTom
10-18-2008, 07:53 AM
This is for info only, as problem is fixed.

Today, after lunch, our 1997 Sebring convertible (2.5L V6) would not crank. It would click only. A light small relay type click. After trying several times over & over for about 5 minutes, it somehow decided to crank and start, so we could get home. I decided to change the starter motor and solenoid when I got home.

So I put the car on ramps and removed the oil filter (required to get to the starter and solenoid). I started to remove the battery + cable nut at the solenoid so I could remove the starter and found it to be VERY loose. It was unscrewed by several threads. So I assume that was the only problem.

I simply tightened the bolt, put on a new oil filter, added some engine oil and now all seems to be okay. No need for a new starter and solenoid after all.

-Don- (Reno)

chiph
10-18-2008, 04:21 PM
It probably had a bad ground connection as a result, and wasn't able to transfer enough current to either engage the solenoid or turn the motor.

Chip H.

DonTom
10-19-2008, 02:46 AM
"It probably had a bad ground connection as a result, and wasn't able to transfer enough current to either engage the solenoid or turn the motor."

Bad connection, yes, bad "ground" connection, no. This was the positive battery cable that was loose at the starter solenoid.

We drove the Sebring home to SSF and made many stops and no more problems.

BTW, one thing I think about is if I had the car towed in for repair. With only a loose nut, what percentage of dealers and other repair shops would admit (and only charge for) the time to tighten a nut?

I bet at least 90% of shops would rip me off on this, and would at least change the starter and solenoid or even worse, claim they did but only tighten the nut.

-Don-(back in SSF, CA)

chiph
10-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Whoops, missed that part of your post.

I think the chances of the service department ripping you off depends on how far you are away from home, and how far away another mechanic is.

Chip H.

DonTom
10-20-2008, 05:19 AM
"I think the chances of the service department ripping you off depends on how far you are away from home, and how far away another mechanic is."

I have a hard time imagining many service shops admitting only a bolt was loose when they can make a few hundred bucks more with a little BS.

-Don-

chiph
10-20-2008, 05:22 PM
The local Honda dealer only charged me a half-hour's time to replace the missing bolt on my alternator.
I'll be going back after good treatment like that.

Chip H.