PDA

View Full Version : Money and muscle cars

Valentine One Radar Detector

grouch
11-01-2008, 10:23 AM
I was watching a gearhead program on TV this morning and began to ponder. With the economy in the tank (I figured a bubble burst was coming but even I wasn't that pessimistic) how are values acting on muscle cars. I figure the first to feel it will be the big auction houses. They tend to drive prices up. The really rare cars will hold their value but I'll bet some really good deals will be out there soon as speculators take a hit and unload what was to them, nothing more than an investment.

Eric
11-01-2008, 10:46 AM
I was watching a gearhead program on TV this morning and began to ponder. With the economy in the tank (I figured a bubble burst was coming but even I wasn't that pessimistic) how are values acting on muscle cars. I figure the first to feel it will be the big auction houses. They tend to drive prices up. The really rare cars will hold their value but I'll bet some really good deals will be out there soon as speculators take a hit and unload what was to them, nothing more than an investment.

My guess is the very rare/high-end stuff (Shelbys, Hemi Mopars, etc.) will not be affected much as these are toys of the extremely affluent. But I am betting the value of more common/middle of the road stuff (like my Trans Am) will suffer because these cars are still mostly the hobby cars of middle income people - and they are the ones who can no longer afford such an indulgence, or are wary of committing cash to such a thing.

I personally don't have a dog in this fight as I do not plan to sell my car - ever - so it's value to others is irrelevant to me!