PDA

View Full Version : Rifle not cycling properly

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
11-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Question for you guys -

I have an SKS (Yugo model) rifle and after shooting (about 50 rounds) and cleaning, the gun has developed an issue. It won't fully cycle after firing; I have to manually retract the bolt to eject the old casing and feed a fresh round in. Otherwise, it works (fires) perfectly. I have thoroughly cleaned and lubed everything - and the problem persists.

Any ideas?

Ken
11-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Question for you guys -

I have an SKS (Yugo model) rifle and after shooting (about 50 rounds) and cleaning, the gun has developed an issue. It won't fully cycle after firing; I have to manually retract the bolt to eject the old casing and feed a fresh round in. Otherwise, it works (fires) perfectly. I have thoroughly cleaned and lubed everything - and the problem persists.

Any ideas?

Does any of this help, Eric?

Ken.

When I go to the range it does not eject the spent cartridges;or
I have to cycle the bolt manually to get the carbine to fire; or
Aren't they supposed to be a semi-auto firearm?
The problem most likely is that the carbine's gas shut-off valve as pictured above is set to the grenade launch or gas off position. In this position the gas is vented off and never reaches the gas piston to drive back the bolt and bolt carrier, thus cycling the action.
To remedy this problem you should place your gas shut-off valve as pictured above in the semi-auto position, forward and to the right. This will direct vented gas back through the gas tube and drive the gas piston back into the gas piston extension rod. The gas piston extension rod will impact the bolt carrier and drive the bolt to the rear of the receiver.
If after setting the valve correctly you still have the same problem, then you should remove the gas tube and make sure the gas port (a small hole below the shut-off valve that ports directly into the barrel) is clean of carbon and dirt.
If this does not remedy the problem you probably have either a faulty gas shut-off valve or a possible leak in the gas system. Depending on your skill set and comfort with attempting a repair on your firearm you can purchase all of the parts from multiple sources.
A good Yugo 59/66 parts source is:

Numrich (e-gunparts.com) (http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=2620z59/66)

Eric
11-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Does any of this help, Eric?

Ken.

When I go to the range it does not eject the spent cartridges;or
I have to cycle the bolt manually to get the carbine to fire; or
Aren't they supposed to be a semi-auto firearm?
The problem most likely is that the carbine's gas shut-off valve as pictured above is set to the grenade launch or gas off position. In this position the gas is vented off and never reaches the gas piston to drive back the bolt and bolt carrier, thus cycling the action.
To remedy this problem you should place your gas shut-off valve as pictured above in the semi-auto position, forward and to the right. This will direct vented gas back through the gas tube and drive the gas piston back into the gas piston extension rod. The gas piston extension rod will impact the bolt carrier and drive the bolt to the rear of the receiver.
If after setting the valve correctly you still have the same problem, then you should remove the gas tube and make sure the gas port (a small hole below the shut-off valve that ports directly into the barrel) is clean of carbon and dirt.
If this does not remedy the problem you probably have either a faulty gas shut-off valve or a possible leak in the gas system. Depending on your skill set and comfort with attempting a repair on your firearm you can purchase all of the parts from multiple sources.
A good Yugo 59/66 parts source is:

Numrich (e-gunparts.com) (http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=2620z59/66)

Doh!

I can't believe I forgot about that... !

I was showing the rifle to a friend (when we were out target shooting the other day) and of course, I showed him the grenade launch feature... and forgot to re-set the thing to where it ought to be....

Thanks for the tune up!