PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer Trouble

Valentine One Radar Detector

bikerlbf406
12-30-2008, 01:20 PM
The speedometer won't work on my '97 Dakota. All other gauges work & the odometer works as well. Any ideas on whats wrong.

Eric
12-30-2008, 02:38 PM
The speedometer won't work on my '97 Dakota. All other gauges work & the odometer works as well. Any ideas on whats wrong.

I'm not sure whether your speedo is electrically or mechanically driven. The first thing I'd do is check whether there is a mechanical speedo cable - and whether it's damaged. If you have an electrically driven speedo, you've likely got a dead sensor, etc.

Don might be able to help; he's very hip to electrical stuff....

DonTom
12-30-2008, 11:30 PM

First step is to find your speedometer sensor. It looks like this. (http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.com/catalog/?D=dodge+dakota+standard+speedometer+sensor+sc104&Ntt=dodge+dakota+standard+speedometer+sensor+sc104&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Main&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=4294965850&Nty=1) Then check your connection. Try unplugging it and plugging it back in and then see if it works. Also look for other such obvious stuff, such as a broken wire on the connector, or poorly crimped on wire on the connector.

Of course it could be a bad sensor or even a bad speedometer. The best bet is to see if you can find a service manual for your vehicle that will explain how to test these items. Or you can just try replacing the sensor (will be cheaper and a lot less hassle than replacing the speedometer).

-Don-

chiph
12-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Don -
Does the cruise control on the Dakota depend on this sensor?
If the speedo doesn't work, but the cruise does, then that would indicate the sensor is good.

Chip H.

DonTom
01-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Don -
Does the cruise control on the Dakota depend on this sensor?
If the speedo doesn't work, but the cruise does, then that would indicate the sensor is good.
Chip H.

Oh, yeah, he did say the odometer was working okay. I really don't know if the odometer comes from the same sensor but I would assume so too. Then it seems the problem is under the dash or perhaps the speedometer itself.

I think bikerlbf406 should try to get some info here.
(http://www.dodgedakotas.com/boards/gen/12531.html)

-Don- (Reno)

bikerlbf406
01-02-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm not sure if the cruise control works still or not, I haven't tried that, so I'll have to get back with that answer, however as far as unplugging the sensor & plugging it back in, where on the truck would the sensor be located?

bikerlbf406
01-02-2009, 06:59 PM
The cruise control does still work.

DonTom
01-02-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure if the cruise control works still or not, I haven't tried that, so I'll have to get back with that answer, however as far as unplugging the sensor & plugging it back in, where on the truck would the sensor be located?

Try this. (http://autorepair.about.com/library/illustrations/bl366a-lib.htm)It might not be your exact year and model but it should give you a very good clue where to look.

Be sure to remove the sensor and drive it to see if the odometer still works. If the odometer still works, replace the speedometer sensor.

If the odometer no longer works with the sensor disconnected, , good luck! But I would then expect the problem to be the speedometer itself or some bad connection under the dash.

-Don-

bikerlbf406
01-04-2009, 09:12 AM
I apprecriate it the ideas, and after talking to a buddy of mine, I decided to check the fuse, although the fuse was for the entire instrument cluster & just not the speedometer. It was bent a little, so straightened it up & put it back in. That believe it or not took care of the problem. Not sure why it caused just the speedometer to stop & not anything else, but the problem is fixed now. Thanks to all for their opinions & help though.

DonTom
01-04-2009, 09:56 AM
I apprecriate it the ideas, and after talking to a buddy of mine, I decided to check the fuse, although the fuse was for the entire instrument cluster & just not the speedometer. It was bent a little, so straightened it up & put it back in. That believe it or not took care of the problem. Not sure why it caused just the speedometer to stop & not anything else, but the problem is fixed now. Thanks to all for their opinions & help though.

I wonder what else didn't work! I've never heard of a fuse that would only affect the speedometer. Especially when the odometer still worked!

Could it just be that something got moved a bit from you working in that area? BTW, what type of fuse was it? Was it the blade type?

-Don-

bikerlbf406
01-04-2009, 04:48 PM
yes, a 10 amp blade type fuse that sits in the fuse box on the side of the dash. and no nothing else was moved or anything, so the only conclusion i can come to is the fuse was the problem for some reason, even though it striikes me odd as well.

DonTom
01-05-2009, 09:09 AM
yes, a 10 amp blade type fuse that sits in the fuse box on the side of the dash. and no nothing else was moved or anything, so the only conclusion i can come to is the fuse was the problem for some reason, even though it striikes me odd as well.

Was there a label for this fuse position? Perhaps a computer got rebooted when you removed the fuse!

-Don-

bikerlbf406
01-05-2009, 11:36 AM
The only label for the fuse position was fuse number 11, for instrument cluster.

DonTom
01-09-2009, 03:30 AM
The only label for the fuse position was fuse number 11, for instrument cluster.

Perhaps that fuse supplied the only voltage to the electronic speedometer, but I would expect other things also would not work. I might check some of my books later and see if I can figure it out.

-Don- (Reno)

bikerlbf406
01-13-2009, 03:30 AM
I just figured out it must be a loose connection & it was just probably a coincidence that it started working again when pulling the fuse out & putting it back in. I say this because it stopped working on me again today & then all of a sudden I hit a pretty large bump (thanks to the darn potholes in this city that never get filled!) & it started working again.

DonTom
01-13-2009, 07:47 AM
I just figured out it must be a loose connection & it was just probably a coincidence that it started working again when pulling the fuse out & putting it back in. I say this because it stopped working on me again today & then all of a sudden I hit a pretty large bump (thanks to the darn potholes in this city that never get filled!) & it started working again.

I was expecting such, but I didn't want to say so.:)

I am going to take a guess.

I would bet your problem is right behind the speedometer itself. Either a poor solder connection, plug or other connection, or a loose nut, if your speedometer has nuts on the rear of it. This will explain why the odometer still works even when the speedometer does not.

Of course, the problem could be the speedometer itself, but that would be one on my last guesses.

-Don-

bikerlbf406
01-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Its something I'm going have to check out later as its too cold to be doing any work on the truck right now, however as far as the odometer still working even when the speedometer don't, it could be since they're seperate. In the Dakota the odometer is seperate from the speedometer & is not combined like they were on older vehicles.

DonTom
01-14-2009, 12:34 AM
"as the odometer still working even when the speedometer don't, it could be since they're seperate."

But they could be on the same sensor. IAC, they won't be using all the same connections behind the dash.

-Don-