PDA

View Full Version : Economy turn around.

Valentine One Radar Detector

grouch
01-27-2009, 03:06 AM
Gee, I didn't know it happened but I guess the economy turned around and it's a sellers market again.A friends wife got rear ended and I went with them to buy a new car. They are coming down in the grade of car and will be paying cash money for what they buy. The insurance company was fairly prompt in paying so the money is in hand.

We went to two dealers and they both tried the same hard sell they used when everybody thought the economy was doing fine. When cars are flying off the lots, I can see asking the sticker price along with $110 for pinstriping, that you can get and put on yourself for $15, for a hot model. However, one car had pinstriping on the added value sticker, but not on the car, along with some other garbage that I thought was just plain cheesy.

My piss off level really hit the heights when the sales manager came out and took me by the arm (I was just giving them a ride, not buying) and tried to steer me to an overpriced pile of parts on the used car lot. I don't really care for people I don't know to touch me. I told him twice to remove his hand from my elbow. The third request was honored when I pinched a nerve junction, hard. (I'm 6 foot and 230 pounds)

We went to another dealer that I've dealt with and got a similar car for about $6000 less than they wanted at number 1. The dealer also had an AARP discount and when they said they weren't member, but were eleigable, the dealer got them a membership.

I guess the first two dealers are in a time warp and the cars are just flying off the lots. They all looked like they'd been there a while but I guess I don't know how the economy works.

Eric
01-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Gee, I didn't know it happened but I guess the economy turned around and it's a sellers market again.A friends wife got rear ended and I went with them to buy a new car. They are coming down in the grade of car and will be paying cash money for what they buy. The insurance company was fairly prompt in paying so the money is in hand.

We went to two dealers and they both tried the same hard sell they used when everybody thought the economy was doing fine. When cars are flying off the lots, I can see asking the sticker price along with $110 for pinstriping, that you can get and put on yourself for $15, for a hot model. However, one car had pinstriping on the added value sticker, but not on the car, along with some other garbage that I thought was just plain cheesy.

My piss off level really hit the heights when the sales manager came out and took me by the arm (I was just giving them a ride, not buying) and tried to steer me to an overpriced pile of parts on the used car lot. I don't really care for people I don't know to touch me. I told him twice to remove his hand from my elbow. The third request was honored when I pinched a nerve junction, hard. (I'm 6 foot and 230 pounds)

We went to another dealer that I've dealt with and got a similar car for about $6000 less than they wanted at number 1. The dealer also had an AARP discount and when they said they weren't member, but were eleigable, the dealer got them a membership.

I guess the first two dealers are in a time warp and the cars are just flying off the lots. They all looked like they'd been there a while but I guess I don't know how the economy works.

Truly incredible.

I would have laughed at the guy - openly and in a super exaggerated way.

Maybe it is just a death-dance born of desperation?

chiph
01-27-2009, 01:12 PM
The first two obviously mistook you for a sucker.

Print out one of the photos of the over-full car maker's storage lots and take it along.
"Well, I figure, somewhere in those thousands of cars is the one I'm looking for. Will you help me find it?"

Chip H.