PDA

View Full Version : D.W.I. (Driving while ignorant)

Valentine One Radar Detector

grouch
01-28-2009, 10:50 AM
We're finally getting to the end of a really nasty winter storm. 2 inches of freezing rain and sleet with 4 inches of snow on top. Monday night, just after it got going good with freezing rain, I was headed home from work. I was running about 35 as the road was really greasy and any faster just didn't feel safe. Several SUV's and pickups were passing me going a good 55-60 mph. Granted, that IS the speed limit but I think the state intends that for clear roads. One driver came past me faster than normal and when he hit the ridge of slush between the lanes to pull back into my lane, he lost it. He did a couple of 360 degree spins and stuffed his front end into the guard rail. He really did a number on his truck too. I stopped to see if he was okay and if nothing else, give him a ride to a truck stop about 5 or 6 miles down the road.

He came out of his truck screaming at me and telling me I shouldn't be on the road driving that slowly. I wished him good luck and got back in my car and left him. Around here, the police will write you a ticket for going too fast for conditions. I hope he got a little gift to make up for the bent truck.

Eric
01-28-2009, 01:14 PM
We're finally getting to the end of a really nasty winter storm. 2 inches of freezing rain and sleet with 4 inches of snow on top. Monday night, just after it got going good with freezing rain, I was headed home from work. I was running about 35 as the road was really greasy and any faster just didn't feel safe. Several SUV's and pickups were passing me going a good 55-60 mph. Granted, that IS the speed limit but I think the state intends that for clear roads. One driver came past me faster than normal and when he hit the ridge of slush between the lanes to pull back into my lane, he lost it. He did a couple of 360 degree spins and stuffed his front end into the guard rail. He really did a number on his truck too. I stopped to see if he was okay and if nothing else, give him a ride to a truck stop about 5 or 6 miles down the road.

He came out of his truck screaming at me and telling me I shouldn't be on the road driving that slowly. I wished him good luck and got back in my car and left him. Around here, the police will write you a ticket for going too fast for conditions. I hope he got a little gift to make up for the bent truck.

UFB - then again, not really. I see this a lot myself.

I am a fast driver - on good roads on clear days. But you have to be a third degree moron to drive fast on icy/snow-slicked roads. A sudden loss of traction and momentum will do the rest - usually in a way you won't like.