PDA

View Full Version : Bad boys, bad boys, watcha' gonna do?

Valentine One Radar Detector

grouch
03-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Well, you can always shoot the little snots. Not only did one of them get shot with an assault rifle, his buddies ran over him, twice, trying to get away.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2009/mar/15/police-armed-burglar-shot-resident/

I know the neighborhood. I usually carry a pistol there myself. I'm betting the burglars didn't live around there.

Eric
03-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Well, you can always shoot the little snots. Not only did one of them get shot with an assault rifle, his buddies ran over him, twice, trying to get away.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2009/mar/15/police-armed-burglar-shot-resident/

I know the neighborhood. I usually carry a pistol there myself. I'm betting the burglars didn't live around there.

Good for him; just unfortunate the dirtbag survived.

I wish my friend Mike - a good guy but a naive liberal advocate of "gun control" - would read stories such as this and reflect on what would likely have happened to that man and his family had he not been armed and able to defend his home against these thugs.

The police do a great job, but when seconds count, minutes don't matter.

grouch
03-16-2009, 09:45 PM

I wish my friend Mike - a good guy but a naive liberal advocate of "gun control" - would read stories such as this and reflect on what would likely have happened to that man and his family had he not been armed and able to defend his home against these thugs.

Nope, it's a good thing he lived, so far. The police want to ask him about his "buddies". With his criminal record, plus they ran over him twice, I'll bet he sings like a birdie if he lives. The last I heard, he's still in intensive care. I guess he's feeling rather run down.

I'm a firm believer in gun control. That's using both hands. How do you hit your target otherwise?

Eric
03-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Nope, it's a good thing he lived, so far. The police want to ask him about his "buddies". With his criminal record, plus they ran over him twice, I'll bet he sings like a birdie if he lives. The last I heard, he's still in intensive care. I guess he's feeling rather run down.

I'm a firm believer in gun control. That's using both hands. How do you hit your target otherwise?

Understood - but the part that bugs me is that even if he does drop the proverbial dime on his associates and they all go to the clink, it won't be for long. They'll get paroled (again) so they can attack someone else (again).

I wonder when, if ever, we will grow tired of allowing our society to be mauled by repeat offenders?

Ken
03-17-2009, 09:23 AM

Where was that place again? - I think I want to emigrate. Over here we cannot defend ourselves in any way without risking charges of assault, manslaughter or attempted murder/murder. I think the problem is that PM Brown sees every lowlife as another vote for New Labour which is why we have many, many more support groups for the criminals that we do for the victims.

Ken.

Eric
03-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Where was that place again? - I think I want to emigrate. Over here we cannot defend ourselves in any way without risking charges of assault, manslaughter or attempted murder/murder. I think the problem is that PM Brown sees every lowlife as another vote for New Labour which is why we have many, many more support groups for the criminals that we do for the victims.

Ken.

I could not live under such a regime. I will never give up my right to self-defense. Being armed is an essential aspect of that, since an unarmed person is rendered defenseless against an armed (or physically superior) assailant.

It disgusts and enrages me that anyone could advocate that decent people be put at the mercy of violent thugs, or hassled in any way for defending themselves (and their property).

What sort of person takes the side of animals who violently assault peaceable folks just trying to make a living and going about their business?

I seethe with contempt for advocates of "gun control." They're either incredibly stupid - in a way that threatens the very lives of others - or malicious and simply want to see people made helpless against violent crime and little better than peons of the state.

grouch
03-17-2009, 09:12 PM

Ken.

If you look at a map of the United States and find Indiana, you want to look at the lower west corner where Indiana gives Kentucky and Illinois a wedgie. Up to last July, we were supposed to retreat as far as possible before using dealy force. That was the letter of the law. The actual way it worked was make sure the body falls inside your house. Now, if the intruder breaks in and is armed, it's open season to defend yourself.

Some states are picky but around here, if you see a police officer trying to take someone into custody and stop to help, you're golden. Several years ago, a friend stopped to help one where the guy had the officer down as was trying to cut him. He saw the police officer had drawn his firearm but lost it. Frank pulled his .45 automatic and shot but missed. The shot got the guy to drop the knife. Some states, like Illinois and Kalifornia would prosecute for the shot but here he was patted on the back.

I was talking to a friend and his wife once who live in Australia. She asked where one would buy a shotgun. I told her all sorts of places like K-Mart, Walmart (they no longer sell shot guns), gun shows and gun shops. In Oz, if you own a pistol, it has to be kept in a locker at a shooting club. Myself, I have the required permit to carry a firearm concealed in my car or on my person. It's good for life. Now, if I do something stoopid and get it revoked, getting it back might be a problem, as it should be.

Eric
03-18-2009, 06:47 AM
I'm hoping Virginia will become a Castle Law state - but it doesn't look good with a liberal carpetbagger (Terry McAuliffe) on his way to being the state's next governor.

I, too, have a Concealed Carry permit and nowadays take my Sig .45 with me every time I leave the house. I did not used to. But my comfort level with the possibility of random violence (and being unprepared for it) has altered my behavior. Things are growing weird and ugly. So, better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have one - right?

Ken
03-18-2009, 07:19 AM
If you look at a map of the United States and find Indiana, you want to look at the lower west corner where Indiana gives Kentucky and Illinois a wedgie. Up to last July, we were supposed to retreat as far as possible before using dealy force. That was the letter of the law. The actual way it worked was make sure the body falls inside your house. Now, if the intruder breaks in and is armed, it's open season to defend yourself.

Some states are picky but around here, if you see a police officer trying to take someone into custody and stop to help, you're golden. Several years ago, a friend stopped to help one where the guy had the officer down as was trying to cut him. He saw the police officer had drawn his firearm but lost it. Frank pulled his .45 automatic and shot but missed. The shot got the guy to drop the knife. Some states, like Illinois and Kalifornia would prosecute for the shot but here he was patted on the back.

I was talking to a friend and his wife once who live in Australia. She asked where one would buy a shotgun. I told her all sorts of places like K-Mart, Walmart (they no longer sell shot guns), gun shows and gun shops. In Oz, if you own a pistol, it has to be kept in a locker at a shooting club. Myself, I have the required permit to carry a firearm concealed in my car or on my person. It's good for life. Now, if I do something stoopid and get it revoked, getting it back might be a problem, as it should be.

That sounds like my kinda place, Grouch.

Ken.

grouch
03-18-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm hoping Virginia will become a Castle Law state - but it doesn't look good with a liberal carpetbagger (Terry McAuliffe) on his way to being the state's next governor.

I, too, have a Concealed Carry permit and nowadays take my Sig .45 with me every time I leave the house. I did not used to. But my comfort level with the possibility of random violence (and being unprepared for it) has altered my behavior. Things are growing weird and ugly. So, better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have one - right?

I don't remember whick movie it was, but the actor Donald Pleasance in one movie played a character who carried a pistol at all times. When asked why, he replied, "It heightens my sense of security".

Eric
03-19-2009, 07:33 AM
I don't remember whick movie it was, but the actor Donald Pleasance in one movie played a character who carried a pistol at all times. When asked why, he replied, "It heightens my sense of security".

Exactly.

Here's what I see as having changed within my lifetime - heck, within the past 10-20 years: Previously, one could live life without much worry about random violence so long as you avoided "bad" neighborhoods and situations; most of this was common sense. But today, your odds of being involved in something awful in a "good" area appear to have increased significantly. Add to this that crime itself has become more violent. The criminals of the past were less apt to kill you during a robbery, for example.

In any case, like I said before, I see no downside to carrying - and several to not carrying!

grouch
03-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Well, the little birdie sang quite well. He's still in the hospital. Perhaps he's still feeling a bit run down. His buddies are in jail now. It may be a while before he joins them but I bet it'll be interesting to be a fly on the wall at that next meeting. :D