PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard GEN light

Valentine One Radar Detector

ChevyMan
04-13-2009, 11:58 PM
A strange thing happened to my '76 Chevy this afternoon. I moved it out to clean the garage floor, let it warm up enough to prevent condensation in the engine, and left it out in the sun for about a couple of hours, leaving the key in the ignition.
I restarted it to go shopping and the GEN light came on, I revved the engine a few times but it stayed on, so turning the engine off then restarting it and the light goes out. Any ideas on this minor phenomenon? I thought the alternator went on the blink!

Larry

DonTom
04-14-2009, 02:16 AM
A strange thing happened to my '76 Chevy this afternoon. I moved it out to clean the garage floor, let it warm up enough to prevent condensation in the engine, and left it out in the sun for about a couple of hours, leaving the key in the ignition.
I restarted it to go shopping and the GEN light came on, I revved the engine a few times but it stayed on, so turning the engine off then restarting it and the light goes out. Any ideas on this minor phenomenon? I thought the alternator went on the blink!Larry

I am going to guess an ignition switch intermittent contact. It does NOT seem to be a problem with the alternator itself.

But with intermittents, almost anything is possible.

-Don- SF, CA

ChevyMan
04-14-2009, 05:36 AM
I am going to guess an ignition switch intermittent contact. It does NOT seem to be a problem with the alternator itself.

But with intermittents, almost anything is possible.

-Don- SF, CA

Well,I should hope it's not the alternator itself which is little over two years old. Larry

Eric
04-14-2009, 07:57 AM
I restarted it to go shopping and the GEN light came on, I revved the engine a few times but it stayed on, so turning the engine off then restarting it and the light goes out. Any ideas on this minor phenomenon? I thought the alternator went on the blink!

Larry

I agree with Don. Also, check the back of the alternator. On GM cars of that era, the little nut securing the main "hot" wire sometimes works itself a little loose. Follow the red wire to the back of the alternator. If the nut is loose, hand tighten it with a small wrench. Caution: If this repair is necessary, first disconnect the battery to avoid grounding/sparks via the wrench completing the contact between the "+" side of the system and the "-" ground (engine).