View Full Version : The American Way

Valentine One Radar Detector

Michael
04-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Y'all,

This commentary is worth your time and attention:

http://www.bluecommonwealth.com/diary/112/the-american-way

It begins:
This is the American way. Since Sept. 11, 2001, when the country's attention understandably turned to terrorism, nearly 120,000 Americans have been killed in nonterror homicides, most of them committed with guns. Think about it - 120,000 dead. That's nearly 25 times the number of Americans killed in Iraq and Afghanistan

For the record, two years ago tomorrow a deranged student killed 32 students and faculty at my alma mater, Virginia Tech, which is in the town of Blacksburg where I still live. Our community still grieves.

Michael

Eric
04-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Y'all,

This commentary is worth your time and attention:

http://www.bluecommonwealth.com/diary/112/the-american-way

It begins:
This is the American way. Since Sept. 11, 2001, when the country's attention understandably turned to terrorism, nearly 120,000 Americans have been killed in nonterror homicides, most of them committed with guns. Think about it - 120,000 dead. That's nearly 25 times the number of Americans killed in Iraq and Afghanistan

For the record, two years ago tomorrow a deranged student killed 32 students and faculty at my alma mater, Virginia Tech, which is in the town of Blacksburg where I still live. Our community still grieves.

Michael

Oh, please!

Let's deconstruct this a bit, first of all. Yes, there is a lot of gun crime in the country. But most of it is committed by a relative handful of career criminals (inner city thugs comprise the majority - and they mostly prey on each other). If the government would simply lock up the relative handful of repeat violent criminals forever (or for a very long time) most "gun crime" would vanish. There was very little "gun crime" prior to the liberalization of criminal statutes in the 1960s - a fact that cannot be disputed. Guns are not the problem; the problem is a system that does not remove violent criminals from society the first time they commit or threaten to commit an act of violence with a gun.

Second, the fact that the system refuses to handle the problem is precisely why honest people need guns. The police cannot do this job. There are too few and they are too diffuse. When a thug storms into your home or assaults you in the streets, seconds count. By the time the cops get there, it will be all over. A gun may be the only way of avoiding a violent death or life-altering assault.

I understand that some have an aversion to guns, consider their risk exposure to be low and personally prefer to remain unarmed. That is their choice and I have no problem with it. But I have a huge problem when such people insist that their neighbors be forced by the state to live unarmed and defenseless against the depredations of the animals out there - animals the state refuses to deal with effectively.

As for the Tech shooter - he was able to murder so many precisely because not one of his victims had any means of self-defense, courtesy of Tech's dangerous "gun free" environment. They were lambs to the slaughter. Were you aware that virtually every mass shooting in this country has taken place in a "gun free" area? And conversely, that areas where concealed (and open) carry is legal are among the safest, most crime-free areas?

Troubling facts for the anti-gun crowd....

I have mentioned this before but I will do so again: Citizens with Concealed Carry permits are less likely to commit a gun crime than a cop. Not an opinion - fact based on gun crime statistics. People with CC permits are among the most responsible people you will ever meet - and may just save your life someday.

If, that is, you don't take away their ability to do so.