PDA

View Full Version : Holly Shetz

Valentine One Radar Detector

dom
07-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Damn dude! We are going that direction are we? I will start off by giving my background. I was christened/baptized when I was an infant. My family is all Roman Catholic. My wife is Buddhist/Shinto as well her as family.

I, on the other hand, am something completely different. I believe in a God, but not like all the bibles describe. I believe there are some very useful fundamental guides on how to live life in all religions. Where they intersect all have similar basic moral values and norms is where I am , the rest of the shet they can keep.

My belief is in an Unmoved Mover/Ultimate Reality. I believe there is a force out there that either a) the cosmos is magnetically attracted too, or b) everything wants to be like it. Either way, I believe in common sense and doing right by others. Going to church, confessing things, strange or special traditions, customs, clothes, foods, trinkets, etc.. is not for me.

Hope you didn't start a war with this forum topic, Eric!

misterdecibel
07-25-2009, 01:14 AM
I believe that most religions, at their core, teach pretty much the same code of ethics and morality, which is good. But they go on with the fairy tales and mythology and dogma, all of which I can do without.

Mase
07-25-2009, 03:40 AM
I believe that most religions, at their core, teach pretty much the same code of ethics and morality >>

Kill the infidel wherever you may find him.......

Yeah, right.

Eric
07-25-2009, 04:11 AM
Similar background here.

My parents were Lutheran - mildly - and took me to church sometimes as a kid. I did not enjoy it and eventually questioned much of the dogma.

Like you, I am inclined toward a "motive force" of some kind but that's as far as I can go. I don't anthropomorphize - and most of the theology of Christianity (the trinity, Jesus being the son of God, salvation through grace, etc.) doesn't seem the least bit credible while some of the stories, etc. in the Bible that are taken literally by some (such as the Noah fable) are to my mind obviously just that - stories.

People have called me arrogant and maybe I am but I don't claim to "know" anything about the nature of God - or even if such a being exists - let alone whether this or that code of conduct is the "righteous" one. That kind of certainty about religion is, to me, the really arrogant attitude!

From what I know of the Buddhist tradition, it's the least offensive of all world religions in the sense that they don't use their religion as an excuse to wage wars, oppress or kill people who don't share their beliefs. They seem to be "live and let live," which I can dig.

I also like the American Indian notion of the Great Spirit animating all things.... seems harmless enough!

DonTom
07-25-2009, 07:33 AM
I believe that most religions, at their core, teach pretty much the same code of ethics and morality, which is good.

It ain't all good. But it depends mainly on the religion.

"To what great evils has religion been able to impel men!"
-Lucretius

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction."
- Blaise Pascal

"If there is a God, atheism must seem to Him as less of an insult than religion."
--Goncourt

But here is what I do agree with:

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it. "
-The Buddha

-Don Quoteman

Eric
07-25-2009, 07:48 AM
I believe that most religions, at their core, teach pretty much the same code of ethics and morality >>

Kill the infidel wherever you may find him.......

Yeah, right.

Yup.

And there's all that fun Old Testament stuff about killing people who practice adultery, obnoxious teenagers, etc.

Eric
07-25-2009, 07:50 AM
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it. "
-The Buddha

Buddha's got something there. I can buy it....

Ken
07-25-2009, 12:05 PM
-The Buddha

Buddha's got something there. I can buy it....

The perfect code for living (religion?) which can be written, in large print, on an A5 piece of paper. Simplest is always best in my book.

Ken.

dom
07-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I remember taking world religions class back in the community college days. I was sold on day one with the ways of Buddha and Buddhism. I don't practice it, but I agree with most of it. My wife is Buddhist, but I never really talk to her about it.

Eric
07-26-2009, 06:43 AM
Yeah, I remember taking world religions class back in the community college days. I was sold on day one with the ways of Buddha and Buddhism. I don't practice it, but I agree with most of it. My wife is Buddhist, but I never really talk to her about it.

I need to read up on Buddhism. The philosophy seems to be - put in plain language: Don't be a dick. Be reasonable.

I can dig that!