PDA

View Full Version : Saved by grace?

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
07-27-2009, 06:46 AM
This doctrine of evangelical Christians - that one is "saved" (i.e., rendered blameless in the sight of God and worthy of heaven, etc.) regardless of one's prior actions, etc. (including literally anything from child rape to mass murder) always struck me as an affront to genuine morality. If one's conduct in life - bad or good - ultimately doesn't matter, only whether one "confesses Jesus" and is thereby "saved" - then the most important thing that separates a human being from an animal (or a decent person from a vile person) becomes irrelevant, since literally anyone can "confess Jesus" - while not everyone will do the right thing in any given situation, especially when it comes at some cost. The notion that a person who struggles through this life trying to be decent and honest and treat others equitably, even when it is difficult to do so or tempting to do otherwise, is no more worthy of "God's reward" (an afterlife in heaven) than (quite literally) a child-raping serial killer who, at the last minute, just before he is executed, "accepts Jesus into his heart" is contemptible and degrading in my sight, yet millions think it's wonderful.

I don't get it. Do you?

Mase
07-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Where's Gail?

Eric
07-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Where's Gail?

Off the deep end! :D