PDA

View Full Version : Life after death...

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
07-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Consciousness pretty clearly appears to be a function of biology. We see because we have eyes; we hear because we have ears; we feel because we have a nervous system - and a physical/biological piece of equipment called a brain that receives and interprets sensory input via our organs of sensory input (eyes, ears, etc.). Take away the sensory organs and we can no longer sense; take away the brain and we can no longer even recall that which we sensed in the past; indeed, take away the brain and we can sense/apprehend nothing at all.

So how, then, can "life" (that is, awareness/consciousness) continue after the physical death of the body and its organs of sensation/perception and memory?

It seems to me, based on all we know (vs. what we wish and "believe") that it cannot - and does not. Life would appear to be a momentary flash of light in between two endless epochs of darkness... .

Thoughts?

misterdecibel
07-27-2009, 10:28 AM
"Darkness" implies sensation.

:)

I agree that consciousness is the result of organic brain function. In my view the only thing that happens after death is rot.

Eric
07-27-2009, 10:50 AM
"Darkness" implies sensation.

:)

I agree that consciousness is the result of organic brain function. In my view the only thing that happens after death is rot.

Yep- and it's good to know we won't be around to experience it, eh? :eek:

KentAZ
06-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Eric:

Consciousness pretty clearly appears to be a function of biology. We see because we have eyes; we hear because we have ears; we feel because we have a nervous system - and a physical/biological piece of equipment called a brain that receives and interprets sensory input via our organs of sensory input (eyes, ears, etc.). Take away the sensory organs and we can no longer sense; take away the brain and we can no longer even recall that which we sensed in the past; indeed, take away the brain and we can sense/apprehend nothing at all.

So how, then, can "life" (that is, awareness/consciousness) continue after the physical death of the body and its organs of sensation/perception and memory?

It seems to me, based on all we know (vs. what we wish and "believe") that it cannot - and does not. Life would appear to be a momentary flash of light in between two endless epochs of darkness... .

Thoughts?

Completely agree with you and misterdecibel. Our consciousness is the product of the physiological function of our brain and body. When we cease to function physiologically our consciousness ceases as well.

dBrong
06-20-2010, 10:41 PM
My grandfather had a sign in back by the shipping area. It read:

If you don't believe in life after death, just be here at 5:00 O'clock

KentAZ
06-20-2010, 10:54 PM
:D............