PDA

View Full Version : Hell...

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
07-28-2009, 03:46 PM
The idea of Hell as a place of eternal torment for the temporary sins of a human life seems a bit excessive, doesn't it? Even Stalin or Hitler doesn't seem worthy of infinite punishment, since, after all, everything they did in life was finite and limited - irrespective of intent. And more deeply, the concept smacks of retribution, a very human desire. Would not an infinitely loving God seek correction rather than suffering and pain? And if the sinner is incorrigible, why not just end the sinner's existence rather than roil him for eternity?

There's a very human sadism implied by the whole notion - which argues strongly against both its divinity as well as its reality.

dom
07-28-2009, 05:20 PM
How about the notion of each agent judge themselves in end and end up with the Ultimate Reality hey deemed they are worthy or deserving of.

Eric
07-29-2009, 06:35 AM
How about the notion of each agent judge themselves in end and end up with the Ultimate Reality hey deemed they are worthy or deserving of.

It's better than the Christian idea!

But I like to think no eternal torment exists for anyone. I am a hard-ass when it comes to violent crime and scumbaggery in general, but I can't see how even the most loathsome cretin deserves endless punishment.

Non-existence, termination of the individual and his consciousness (in extreme cases)... now that works for me!

See: Jack Deth and what happened to his archenemy Whistler.

KentAZ
06-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Eric:

The idea of Hell as a place of eternal torment for the temporary sins of a human life seems a bit excessive, doesn't it? Even Stalin or Hitler doesn't seem worthy of infinite punishment, since, after all, everything they did in life was finite and limited - irrespective of intent. And more deeply, the concept smacks of retribution, a very human desire. Would not an infinitely loving God seek correction rather than suffering and pain? And if the sinner is incorrigible, why not just end the sinner's existence rather than roil him for eternity?

There's a very human sadism implied by the whole notion - which argues strongly against both its divinity as well as its reality.

I completely agree--it is nothing but sadistic. And such a concept is completely incompatible with an all-powerful "loving" God.

Interestingly enough, there is no immortal "soul" (nor a body/soul dualism) paradigm in the Bible; and thus, no infinite torture.