PDA

View Full Version : Fixed My Jaguar Tranny

Valentine One Radar Detector

Mase
09-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Yesterday,my wife was driving home in the Jag and suddenly, the tranny started acting up. It wouldn't downshift into first at a stoplight, and the tranny warning light on the dash came on. It seemed to be locked into "limp-home" mode.

I got out my detailed owner's manual and started reading up. The warning light actually indicates a problem with the electronic tranny controls. So I started thinking. Looked up which of the three fuze boxes the tranny fuses were in, and started pulling fuzes. The contacts were all slightly oxydized, so I cleaned the contacts with a wire brush. After I put them all back in the trans was fine.

Got out the computer and printed up my wife an invoice for $2952.68 and got a laugh out of her.

swamprat
09-14-2009, 07:24 PM
That's great. Very cool. What year/model is your Jag?

Mase
09-14-2009, 07:52 PM
That's great. Very cool. What year/model is your Jag?

1990 XJ6 Sovereign

NOT a re-badged Ford <G>.

Eric
09-15-2009, 06:27 AM
Yesterday,my wife was driving home in the Jag and suddenly, the tranny started acting up. It wouldn't downshift into first at a stoplight, and the tranny warning light on the dash came on. It seemed to be locked into "limp-home" mode.

I got out my detailed owner's manual and started reading up. The warning light actually indicates a problem with the electronic tranny controls. So I started thinking. Looked up which of the three fuze boxes the tranny fuses were in, and started pulling fuzes. The contacts were all slightly oxydized, so I cleaned the contacts with a wire brush. After I put them all back in the trans was fine.

Got out the computer and printed up my wife an invoice for $2952.68 and got a laugh out of her.

That is great - and I bet you probably did just save yourself $2,952.68!

Mase
09-18-2009, 07:51 PM
That is great - and I bet you probably did just save yourself $2,952.68!

I've been real happy with my Jag. It was a trade-in when I was selling Nissans a couple years ago. Little old lady who bought it new for around $53k, she was a retired court reporter who drove it to work every day but not far. It had 37,000 miles on it. She bought a 3-year-old Altima. The dealer insulted her with his trade-in offer, so I made her a decent private offer and took it off her hands for $4500 cash.

It now has 53,000 miles on it. The only work I have done is to re-glue the headliner which was sagging, install a new brake master cylinder, one tuneup, new brake pads, a couple light bulbs, new wiper blade (it has only one) a new remote, and routine oil and filter changes. Also changed the tranny fluid. Runs like a top. I love the way it steers. That straight-6 is powerful but likes premium gas.

I would like to upgrade the radio at some point if I can find one that fits. The stock one has a cassette player, no CD, AM/FM and receives CB channel 19. Also want to install new speakers at some point. The power antenna was sticking but a little silicone lube fixed that.

The car already had the troublesome and problem-plagued air shocks removed and replaced with standard load-leveller shocks. If I run onto a maintenance problem I can't handle I utilize the services of Radio's famous MOTORMAN (http://lancerautomotive.com/), Leon Kaplan, whose shop does excellent work at a premium price. He seems to be able to fix anything on wheels and gets parts for just about anything. Had a problem with one of the electric door locks and the Jaguar dealer said he couldn't get parts, but Leon found the parts.

Eric
09-19-2009, 07:23 AM
I've been real happy with my Jag. It was a trade-in when I was selling Nissans a couple years ago. Little old lady who bought it new for around $53k, she was a retired court reporter who drove it to work every day but not far. It had 37,000 miles on it. She bought a 3-year-old Altima. The dealer insulted her with his trade-in offer, so I made her a decent private offer and took it off her hands for $4500 cash.

It now has 53,000 miles on it. The only work I have done is to re-glue the headliner which was sagging, install a new brake master cylinder, one tuneup, new brake pads, a couple light bulbs, new wiper blade (it has only one) a new remote, and routine oil and filter changes. Also changed the tranny fluid. Runs like a top. I love the way it steers. That straight-6 is powerful but likes premium gas.

I would like to upgrade the radio at some point if I can find one that fits. The stock one has a cassette player, no CD, AM/FM and receives CB channel 19. Also want to install new speakers at some point. The power antenna was sticking but a little silicone lube fixed that.

The car already had the troublesome and problem-plagued air shocks removed and replaced with standard load-leveller shocks. If I run onto a maintenance problem I can't handle I utilize the services of Radio's famous MOTORMAN (http://lancerautomotive.com/), Leon Kaplan, whose shop does excellent work at a premium price. He seems to be able to fix anything on wheels and gets parts for just about anything. Had a problem with one of the electric door locks and the Jaguar dealer said he couldn't get parts, but Leon found the parts.

Your Jag is the type of Jag that appeals to me. There are few cars that can match the elegance, the class - the timeless beauty - of these things. I weep for what Jaguar has had to do to its cars to remain "competitive" with the Japanese and the Germans.... .