PDA

View Full Version : "Overkill"?

Valentine One Radar Detector

ChevyMan
10-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Back on Feb '09 I changed the motor oil and installed a new filter on my 1976 Impala coupe.
Since then, I've racked up only about 700 miles total . That amounts to about 86 miles a month, roughly 18-20 miles a week.
Yesterday I changed the oil again. Did I make a wise choice, or did I simply threw money away ? (I bought a 5-qt container of 10w30 for less than $13.00).

Larry

quickcar
10-22-2009, 01:59 AM
I'd say it was alright to change it, considering that even if not driven much, it still faces oil contamination from condensation and absorbtion for weather cycles, especially if you don't drive long enough to bring the engine up to it's heat level for evaporation of moisture drawn into the crankcase.

We change the oil in our vehicles at least every 6 month's (or 3000 to 4000 miles, depending on vehicle use), if they're not driven much (15 minutes every 3 months at least), as well as use fuel stabilizers in the tank, and change out the antifreeze every 30 to 36 months.

Rex

DonTom
10-22-2009, 05:41 AM
Back on Feb '09 I changed the motor oil and installed a new filter on my 1976 Impala coupe.
Since then, I've racked up only about 700 miles total . That amounts to about 86 miles a month, roughly 18-20 miles a week.
Yesterday I changed the oil again. Did I make a wise choice, or did I simply threw money away ? (I bought a 5-qt container of 10w30 for less than $13.00). Larry

Since you're in Hawaii where it's humid, it's probably not bad idea, if you cannot drive it for an hour or so to heat things up once in a while. Getting oil hot helps get the moisture out. Perhaps the worse thing you can do to engine oil is drive only a few miles once in a while. You get more moisture into the oil in short drives, but long tough driving gets rid of it.

I have a couple of cars that get very little use and I only change the oil (and filter) once per year. However, when I do drive them, they get a good 60 miles or so each time, which includes up hill on a freeway for several miles. A couple of times, I had less than 300 miles between oil changes, but a full year.

-Don- SSF, CA

Eric
10-22-2009, 06:29 AM
Yesterday I changed the oil again. Did I make a wise choice, or did I simply threw money away ? (I bought a 5-qt container of 10w30 for less than $13.00).

Larry

Hey Larry,

I have a very similar situation; my '76 Trans Am doesn't see much road time (maybe 1,000 miles per year). But I still change the oil every six months (twice annually) regardless of the mileage.

Reason?

Light use/non-use creates its own issues, such as condensation (water) and (in older cars like ours with carbs that have leaky wells, etc.) gasoline contamination, etc. Also, if the car is not regularly run to normal operating temperatures and driven for a while after that, these contaminants, etc. may not get burned off.

The bottom line is it's very cheap insurance to change the oil as we do rather than risk some potentially serious problems or wear. In my case, this is an especially big concern because the engine in my Pontiac has been out of production for more than 30 years now and replacements are either cheap nor easy to find!