PDA

View Full Version : How to use K-Y Jelly (for car repair)

Valentine One Radar Detector

grouch
10-25-2009, 11:47 PM
When I ran a salvage yard, I found a case of K-Y Jelly in the trunk of one. No telling what someone used that much for. However, I found that if you're putting rubber bushings into an old car (in this case, a 1970 Malibu) you can spray some water on the metal part, smear a little jelly on the rubber part, and it will generally go right in. Make sure to keep your hands dry though as you get them wet and then grab the jellied up part, it can sail a long ways under benches and such.

J. ZIMM
05-26-2010, 10:51 PM
When I ran a salvage yard, I found a case of K-Y Jelly in the trunk of one. No telling what someone used that much for. However, I found that if you're putting rubber bushings into an old car (in this case, a 1970 Malibu) you can spray some water on the metal part, smear a little jelly on the rubber part, and it will generally go right in. Make sure to keep your hands dry though as you get them wet and then grab the jellied up part, it can sail a long ways under benches and such.
:) I've aways kept a Jar of Vaseline on my tool box for installing rubber parts, on battery terminals, and to help keep parts in place during installations. Before I got married, I use to keep a small jar in the car...hehehe :D

grouch
05-27-2010, 10:58 PM
:) I've aways kept a Jar of Vaseline on my tool box for installing rubber parts, on battery terminals, and to help keep parts in place during installations. Before I got married, I use to keep a small jar in the car...hehehe :D

Never use vasoline (petroleum jelly) on anything rubber. The oil in it will soften the rubber and eventually rot it. Trust me on this. I've seen rubber parts such as weather stripping get spongey from the use of oil on it.

Mase
05-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Never use vasoline (petroleum jelly) on anything rubber. The oil in it will soften the rubber and eventually rot it. Trust me on this. I've seen rubber parts such as weather stripping get spongey from the use of oil on it.

KY is specifically formulated to NOT degrade rubber, and if you think about it, that makes sense.

dom
05-28-2010, 10:23 PM
I use Vaseline on all my electrical connections.

J. ZIMM
05-29-2010, 03:26 AM
:) Thats where the term "I got her all oiled up for ya" came from....hehehe:D

dom
05-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Ha, yeah I've never had one "oiled up" electrical connection ever give me a problem with connectivity, or corrosion.

grouch
05-29-2010, 01:14 PM

I used it for years but dielectric grease with a silicone base is better. I got a Jaguar once at the salvage yard and the owner was just tired of fooling with the "Prince of Darkness" Lucas electrics. I cleaned all the aluminum connectors and put dielectric grease on them and drove the car for a couple of years with no problems what ever.

dom
05-29-2010, 11:08 PM
I like the dielectric stuff too, but they don't sell it in huge containers like the generic Vaseline at Walmart! HA

grouch
05-30-2010, 10:53 AM
I like the dielectric stuff too, but they don't sell it in huge containers like the generic Vaseline at Walmart! HA

A little goes a long way. That said, instead of the little tube I usually get, I found a huge honkin' tube next to it at AutoZone. I even fixed the wondow motors on my lady friends car with that stuff. The little plastic bearings broke and I couldn't find replacements so I put little ball bearings in it. The dielectric grease held them in place while I put the gear assembly back together.

dom
05-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Aight dammit..

I'm going to get some dielectric grease today and a tube of KY!

You guys have me sold! LOL

How about that other stuff..

The stuff for sore muscles..

What's it called again?

grouch
05-31-2010, 12:36 AM
Aight dammit..

I'm going to get some dielectric grease today and a tube of KY!

You guys have me sold! LOL

How about that other stuff..

The stuff for sore muscles..

What's it called again?

When I played Rugby, I used Ben Gay. It's a good linament but also a good equalizer. Get into a scrum and someone foul you, you can take care of business. Just rub a bit on the forehead of the other guy who fouled you. A few minutes later, sweat will take it into their eyes. You really don't want that in your eyes. A little trick I learned playing football. :D

dom
05-31-2010, 10:34 AM
Ha Grouch you messed up my joke.

Eric
06-04-2010, 07:26 AM
When I played Rugby, I used Ben Gay. It's a good linament but also a good equalizer. Get into a scrum and someone foul you, you can take care of business. Just rub a bit on the forehead of the other guy who fouled you. A few minutes later, sweat will take it into their eyes. You really don't want that in your eyes. A little trick I learned playing football. :D

Dirty pool!

Brings back some great memories...:D

joyee
11-10-2012, 07:37 AM
This method over many years and recommend that you do not assume the trouble is a certain part, as a problem in one area will often show up as a symptom somewhere else. An example is carb malfunctions are often incorrectly assumed to be governor problems.