PDA

View Full Version : To sell NOW, OR........

Valentine One Radar Detector

ChevyMan
11-28-2009, 06:54 PM
I would like to sell my '76 Impala now, before it comes time to replace a defective part or component and find out to my dismay that I can no longer obtain that part/component, though I will have a hard time selling it since I've had it since day one and hate to part--no pun intended--with it, but then, who knows, it may continue to run for many more years without breaking down.

How easy is it to find a windshield wiper motor, or a water pump, or an alternator, or a radiator, etc., for a 33-year old car? Unlike some people , who owns more than one vehicle if one breaks down, they have alternate transportation, but I only have that one Chevy for my livelihood, and no relatives living near me to share a ride with. Any comments regarding my dilemma?
Larry

dom
11-28-2009, 07:57 PM
I am not an expert, but I don't think there is one part on your drive train that would be difficult to find!

Wiper Motor Refurbished (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1049172&parttype=8824&a=FRc1049172k32413) (found in 5 seconds) $55

Does your unit have a 454 engine?

Parts are a dime a dozen for that unit. If you do some serious searching you can find stuff super cheap.

Here are the results of a fast search:

Your Vehicle Specific General Parts

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/vehicle/1976/chevrolet/impala.html

Radiators (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&Nr=AND%28wpn_tl_name:Engine+%26+Drivetrain,wpn_cat _name:Radiators+%26+Cooling+Systems,wpn_scat_name: Radiators%29)

Water Pumps (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&Nr=AND%28wpn_tl_name:Engine+%26+Drivetrain,wpn_cat _name:Radiators+%26+Cooling+Systems,wpn_scat_name: Water+Pump,part:Water+Pump%29)

Alternators (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&Nr=AND%28wpn_tl_name:Engine+%26+Drivetrain,wpn_cat _name:Starters%5C%2C+Alternators%5C%2C+Batteries+% 26+Components,wpn_scat_name:Alternator%29)

Bet you five bucks you can get all the parts you want at NAPA for a lot cheaper too!
(http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&Nr=AND%28wpn_tl_name:Engine+%26+Drivetrain,wpn_cat _name:Starters%5C%2C+Alternators%5C%2C+Batteries+% 26+Components,wpn_scat_name:Alternator%29)

(http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&Nr=AND%28wpn_tl_name:Engine+%26+Drivetrain,wpn_cat _name:Starters%5C%2C+Alternators%5C%2C+Batteries+% 26+Components,wpn_scat_name:Alternator)

Eric
11-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Hi Larry,

I am very familiar with mid-late '70s American cars - GMs especially - and I assure you that finding parts for your car will not be a problem for years to come. There are probably millions of these cars still in operation and many major parts and service-replacement items are common to many GM vehicles of that period. As Dom notes, too - they're also usually dirt cheap!

So: If you like the car and the only reason you're considering selling is because of a fear that parts will be hard to find - don't sweat it.

You will be fine!

MikeHalloran
11-28-2009, 09:49 PM
In _another_ 30+ years, you'll still be able to get parts for that car.
Newer cars will be much more problematic, as the supply of functional ECUs and plastic intake manifolds and such trendy stuff dries up.

dom
11-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Wait.. no.. get rid of it now while you still can!

How much to take it off your hands? :)

Eric
11-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Wait.. no.. get rid of it now while you still can!

I was thinking the same thing!

Eric
11-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Hey Larry,

I had another thought for you...

My Trans-Am is exactly the same vintage as your Chevy (1976) and unlike your Chevy, the engine was last produced in 1976, too. Yet I can still easily find service parts such as oil and air filters, spark plugs, fuel pump, gaskets, etc. If I needed to find cylinder heads or even a block, no problem there, either. And my engine has not been made in 34 years!

Your engine, meanwhile, is still being made - today! It may not be in new production cars, but GM is still building replacement small block Chevy V-8s. So, in effect, the heart of your 34 year old engine is as easy to get parts for as any brand-new car (and will likely be even easier and cheaper to get parts for in the future, given the millions of these engines in service and the massive popularity of them, etc.).

If you ever need new transmission, few units are more common or cheaper than a TH350 (which is what you have).

The wiring in your car is unbelievably simple; even I can understand it! :D

The only parts you may have some difficulty locating are interior trim bits. But I bet you could find these, too.

Seriously - you've got one of the easiest and least expensive cars to keep running there is, except for perhaps an old VW Beetle... hang onto it!

grouch
11-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Trim pieces might be difficult down the road and will only be available from salvage yards. However, the mechanics are simple and easy to get parts for. You can try AutoZone and O'Reilly's for most of your mechanical needs. Except for the vacuum lines on the engine, it is about as simple as any American car can be. (I always hated working on vacuum lines in the 70's) Not only are tha parts available, they are also a LOT cheaper than later model components.

Personally, the only reason I can see where you would really need to get rid of the car is if tin worm (rust) has gotten into the body and it's no longer safe to drive.

Mase
11-30-2009, 02:42 PM
http://image.hotrod.com/f/76Impala/9551540+w450+h338+cr0+re1+ar1/1976-chevrolet-impala-smile.jpg

Why would you get rid of something this nice?

ChevyMan
12-01-2009, 05:21 AM
To tell you the truth, I'd like to keep my Landau Custom Coupe as long as I can find the parts to run the car, and here's hoping I can do that for many more years to come.Parting with the car is like trying to part with a friend you've known for many, many years.

Nice car, that. Is that a '75 ?

Larry

Eric
12-01-2009, 07:59 AM
To tell you the truth, I'd like to keep my Landau Custom Coupe as long as I can find the parts to run the car, and here's hoping I can do that for many more years to come.Parting with the car is like trying to part with a friend you've known for many, many years.

Nice car, that. Is that a '75 ?

Larry

Then you'll be fine!

The biggest issue you'd have to worry about is rust - especially structural/frame rust. But so long as the car's frame is sound, the mechanical stuff can be kept going almost forever...

ChevyMan
12-01-2009, 09:25 PM
DOM:
>>>Does your unit have a 454 engine?"<<<

No. It's a 350 CID

>>>If you do some serious searching you can find stuff super cheap<<<
In your neck of the woods--maybe--but perhaps not in HI where I live.

>>>Bet you five bucks you can get all the parts you want at NAPA for a lot cheaper too<<<
You may be right. I was able to buy some stuff for my Chevy from them before.

ERIC:

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I know you own a 76 Pontiac TA.

>>>So if you like the car and the only reason you're considering selling is because of a fear that parts will be hard to find- Don't sweat it. You will be fine.<<<
In Hawaii, I don't know how easy it is to find the needed parts. The local
GM dealers no longer carry in stock or do any ordering for vehicles 20 years or more older. Maybe NAPA help me locate them.

MIKE:

>>>In _another_30 + years, you'll still be able to get parts for that car.<<<
Gee, I hope so

DOM:

>>>wait..no.. get rid of it now while you still can.<<<
What is this sudden change of advice?? (BG)

>>>How much to take it off your hands?<<<
I don't know the going rate for a '76 Chevy. Any satisfactory offer might be considered....IF i decide to sell, that is.
Right now, the odometer reads: 54140.

dom
12-01-2009, 11:30 PM
A 350 engine, even better. More parts and cheaper.

As for the get rid of it now comment, I was kidding (as to capitalize on your loss).

Where you live parts would be a bit more difficult to get, but not much.

You can still order anything you need in the mail.

You are not going to find shet at the dealer, and on the off chance they try to help you out and order parts for you, they will be ordering the same stuff you can order yourself. Except they will use a huge multiplier on the price they sell it to you for.

ChevyMan
12-05-2009, 10:42 PM
[quote=dom;118737]Wait.. no.. get rid of it now while you still can!

I just came out of a store and as I was approaching my '76 Chevy to return home, a guy in a car a good hundred or so yards away asked me the year of the Chevy. I told him.Without even getting out of the car to get a closer look, he asked me if I want to sell it, and I said, "make me an offer". Without batting an eye, he asked "five thousand"?. I was shocked, to say the least. Then he asked, three thousand?. That's when I said the A/C and heater don't work, some rusts here and there, the oil seal leaks but not much, and his offer still held at 3K. Give me your phone (cell) number and I'll call you if and when I decide to sell, I said.

What do you make of it ??

Larry.

ChevyMan
12-06-2009, 03:44 AM
>>>You can try AutoZone and O'Reilly's for most of your mechanical needs.<<<

What is Auto Zone and O'Reilly's links?

Larry

Eric
12-06-2009, 06:46 AM
[quote=dom;118737]Wait.. no.. get rid of it now while you still can!

I just came out of a store and as I was approaching my '76 Chevy to return home, a guy in a car a good hundred or so yards away asked me the year of the Chevy. I told him.Without even getting out of the car to get a closer look, he asked me if I want to sell it, and I said, "make me an offer". Without batting an eye, he asked "five thousand"?. I was shocked, to say the least. Then he asked, three thousand?. That's when I said the A/C and heater don't work, some rusts here and there, the oil seal leaks but not much, and his offer still held at 3K. Give me your phone (cell) number and I'll call you if and when I decide to sell, I said.

What do you make of it ??

Larry.

Not surprised!

It's precisely because your car is so easy to keep up (vs. a new) car - plus the fact that it's got as much or more room inside than most current $50,000 "luxury" cars - and because it's just a cool ride - that it and cars like it are becoming more and more popular.

Look at it this way: For the $3,000 that guy is offering you, you could install a brand-new transmission and rebuild the engine - and be good to go for another 100,000-plus miles, easily. And there's not much else that can go wrong/break in your Chevy. Maybe you'll need a new set of shocks eventually, or ball joints or something like that. Small stuff.

In a new car, $3,000 might cover the electronically controlled, lock-up converter-equipped transmission. And it has multiple other (expensive) components and systems that can and will fail as the thing ages. No such issues with your Chevy. Other than rust, it's easy and cheap to keep such a car going for decades.

In contrast, late model vehicles are wonderful for the first 10-12 years or so. After 20, forget about it. The cost to keep any computer-controlled modern car going after that point is usually prohibitive - and that's assuming you can even find the parts for it!

Eric
12-06-2009, 06:54 AM
>>>You can try AutoZone and O'Reilly's for most of your mechanical needs.<<<

What is Auto Zone and O'Reilly's links?

Larry

Most of these places are easy to find using Google or similar search engine. Just type the name of the store in and...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/

viola!

See also:

NAPA
Pep Boys

Etc.

Hawaii may not have all of these, but for sure you'll find at least one major parts chain. And as Dom says, you can always order stuff online and get it shipped to you.

Now, here's a place that you will really like:

http://www.classicindustries.com/

Major supplier for vintage American cars (I get stuff from them for my Pontiac). Click on the left menu bar that says "Impala/full-size"" and have fun!

Another thing:

Do a search for a local Chevy club in your area - and join! This will put you in touch with probably dozens of guys who have/love - and really know about - your car and who will probably be very happy to help you out if ever need it.

swamprat
12-06-2009, 08:17 AM
That car is awesome. About the only mods I would do to it would be to install a later model overdrive transmission, thicker stabilizers bar on the front and rear, and a set of stiffer shocks.

That way you would have a car that gets quite a bit better mileage on the freeway and can handle a little better than the Queen Mary.

Don't forget to tighten up the steering box and replace associated suspension parts as you get the money.

That car should provide years of enjoyment.

Eric
12-06-2009, 08:51 AM
That car is awesome. About the only mods I would do to it would be to install a later model overdrive transmission, thicker stabilizers bar on the front and rear, and a set of stiffer shocks.

That way you would have a car that gets quite a bit better mileage on the freeway and can handle a little better than the Queen Mary.

Don't forget to tighten up the steering box and replace associated suspension parts as you get the money.

That car should provide years of enjoyment.

Yep!

And adding an overdrive to that car is a simple bolt-in operation. Could be done in about three hours, for about $800.

But he probably doesn't need it. Keep in mind that unlike my Trans-Am and other performance cars of the time, his car probably has "highway gears" in the range of 2.41 or thereabouts, which will let him cruise at 65 doing about 2,500 RPM with the THM350. The thing probably gets not-bad gas mileage (mid-high teens) as it sits.

If you wanted to upgrade the steering, replacing the stock steering box with a late 1970s Trans-Am WS6 box would be another easy/direct bolt-in. Ditto rear disc brakes - and the stabilizer bars are available both as factory units (F41 police package) or aftermarket...

ChevyMan
12-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Hey Dom,
Do you happen to know whether the 350 CID V-8 is

5.7, 6.6 or 7.4 liter engine?

Eric
12-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Hey Dom,
Do you happen to know whether the 350 CID V-8 is

5.7, 6.6 or 7.4 liter engine?

5.7 liters is 350 CID
5.0 is 305 CID

ChevyMan
12-07-2009, 04:01 AM
5.7 liters is 350 CID
5.0 is 305 CID

Yeah, I referred to my Haynes manual and it say:

5.7 l 350 CID
6.6 l 402 CID
7.4 l 454 CID

Larry

Eric
12-07-2009, 06:53 AM
Yeah, I referred to my Haynes manual and it say:

5.7 l 350 CID
6.6 l 402 CID
7.4 l 454 CID

Larry

Yep!

Just keep in mind that with GM it can get confusing. For example, 6.6 liters is also the Pontiac 400 V-8, which is an entirely different engine than the Chevy 402 "big block," which by the way is really just a 396 "big block" with a very slight overbore...

And, there's a Chevy small-block 400 (6.6 liters) too! And it's a small block! :eek:

dom
12-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Damn, I never even thought about the liters of a 454 cid! 7.4, holly shetz..

Eric
12-08-2009, 06:22 AM
Damn, I never even thought about the liters of a 454 cid! 7.4, holly shetz..

My 455 is 7.5 liters... and Caddy built an 8.1 liter V-8, biggest V-8 ever mass produced by an American automaker and maybe the world!