PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Parts

Valentine One Radar Detector

ChevyMan
01-13-2010, 04:25 AM
I've been driving my Impala for 33 years and in that time span I've replaced the alternator, battery, radiator, starter, and a few other components several times, the right power window motor and fuel pump once, and any day now expecting the windshield wiper motor assembly to go. I wonder how hard (or easy), it will be to replace it. There's a firm in Mesa, Arizona called IMPALA BOB'S whose catalog is selling one that appears similar to mine but it is listed for a '69-72 model year. I am wondering if it will fit my '76.

There is a notation: "There is a $200.00 core charge added to order, which will be refunded when usable core is received". What the heck is core charge? The wiper itself is a restored unit.

Larry

Eric
01-13-2010, 12:29 PM
I've been driving my Impala for 33 years and in that time span I've replaced the alternator, battery, radiator, starter, and a few other components several times, the right power window motor and fuel pump once, and any day now expecting the windshield wiper motor assembly to go. I wonder how hard (or easy), it will be to replace it. There's a firm in Mesa, Arizona called IMPALA BOB'S whose catalog is selling one that appears similar to mine but it is listed for a '69-72 model year. I am wondering if it will fit my '76.

There is a notation: "There is a $200.00 core charge added to order, which will be refunded when usable core is received". What the heck is core charge? The wiper itself is a restored unit.

Larry

Getting a replacement wiper motor for your Chevy should be as easy as going to your local NAPA, Pep Boys, Advance or other auto parts store. It should not be necessary to go through a specialty/classic car outlet for this part which falls into the same category as brake shoes or air filters or spark plugs.

The "core charge" just means they will either deduct "x" from the cost of your new wiper motor in return for turning your old unit in (so it can be rebuilt and re-sold later on down the line) or you pay full price for not turning in your core. Don't expect a big discount, though. It'll probably be less than $10 - but that's better than nothing!

ChevyMan
01-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Mmmmmm, there is only NAPA in my area. I can try them if and when I need a replacement sometime down the line. If not I have the Classic Industries catalog which carries the item specifically to fit my car. Larry

Eric
01-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Mmmmmm, there is only NAPA in my area. I can try them if and when I need a replacement sometime down the line. If not I have the Classic Industries catalog which carries the item specifically to fit my car. Larry

I would go to NAPA first because the cost is probably going to be lower. A wiper motor is a common replacement part, either stocked or (usually) readily obtainable from their warehouse. Yes, I know your Chevy is more than 30 years old, but as I posted before, a wiper motor is like spark plugs or air filters or brake shoes - stuff that is still easy to find even for older vehicles, so long as we're not talking about cars that were only produced in small numbers or brands that haven't been in existence for more than a decade, etc.

The wiper motor in your Chevy is very probably the same one used in literally millions of Chevy/Pontiac/Buick/Olds/Cadillac vehicles from the mid-late 1970s through the 1980s.

It ought to be no problem getting a replacement -

Now, if you needed a new "factory correct" steering wheel insert or door panel, that would be something to call an outfit such as Classic Industries about!

grouch
01-13-2010, 07:33 PM
When you buy "rebuilt", they have to have something to rebuild. Core charge is to make sure yopu turn in your old unit to be rebuilt. Now, in most cases, if you buy a "New, not rebuilt" unit, there will NOT be a core charge.

However, if you buy a new battery for instance, there is a $5-$8 core charge for your old one. This is to make sure it gets recycled and not dumped.

$200 seems a bit high and if the catalog says it is for up to a '72 model, I'd go somewhere else. 4 years can make a big difference. That's not to say it won't work, it just may not work right.

Eric
01-14-2010, 05:59 AM
When you buy "rebuilt", they have to have something to rebuild. Core charge is to make sure yopu turn in your old unit to be rebuilt. Now, in most cases, if you buy a "New, not rebuilt" unit, there will NOT be a core charge.

However, if you buy a new battery for instance, there is a $5-$8 core charge for your old one. This is to make sure it gets recycled and not dumped.

$200 seems a bit high and if the catalog says it is for up to a '72 model, I'd go somewhere else. 4 years can make a big difference. That's not to say it won't work, it just may not work right.

Yeah, $200 seemed way high to me also. But I haven't bought one of these recently for a car of that vintage, so maybe the price has gone up... a lot! :eek:

I did buy one last year for the '98 pick-up and it was less than $100....

ChevyMan
01-16-2010, 04:18 AM

>>>That's not to say it won't work, it just may not work right<<<

Yeah, and the mounting positions may not match to my car at all.

ChevyMan
01-16-2010, 04:27 AM
Yeah, $200 seemed way high to me also. But I haven't bought one of these recently for a car of that vintage, so maybe the price has gone up... a lot! :eek:

I did buy one last year for the '98 pick-up and it was less than $100....

That particular catalog quoted $249.99--including the "core charge", while another catalog quoted something in the neighborhood of $109.00--no "core" mentioned. Larry

Eric
01-16-2010, 07:11 AM
That particular catalog quoted $249.99--including the "core charge", while another catalog quoted something in the neighborhood of $109.00--no "core" mentioned. Larry

Yep!

When it comes to older/antique cars, there are parts that work - and parts designed to look exactly "factory" for purposes of restoration/show, etc.

If your car's not a show car and you just need the wipers to work properly, get the over the counter rebuilt unit, which will be much less expensive and work just as well as the New Old Stock (an original GM part with the right stamping numbers on it, etc.).