PDA

View Full Version : wheel alignment

Valentine One Radar Detector

pearly8
02-03-2010, 11:12 PM
My 1994 Lincoln MK VIII was aligned about a year ago, but it still pulls to the right and has more wear on the outside edge of the right front tire.

Other MK VIII owners are suggesting that at 100,000 mi, it may need new upper control arms or other suspension parts. That seems a bit extreme to me.

How fast do such parts give out?

Eric
02-04-2010, 07:10 AM
My 1994 Lincoln MK VIII was aligned about a year ago, but it still pulls to the right and has more wear on the outside edge of the right front tire.

Other MK VIII owners are suggesting that at 100,000 mi, it may need new upper control arms or other suspension parts. That seems a bit extreme to me.

Very possible for a 16 year old car with 100k. Does your Mark have air suspension? If it does, "gird your loins" ... :eek:

pearly8
02-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Yes, but the front and rear air bags/shocks have been replaced.

dom
02-04-2010, 11:41 PM
The vehicle needs to go up in the air and get a suspension component shake down.

There might be some camber adjustment on the front that is out of whack, if you're lucky.

Road conditions, driving style, parts quality, installation quality, and weather all play a part in the life cycle.

Don't be confused about alignments, just because you had one doesn't mean your vehicle is good to go.

There are lots of techs out there that don't shake down and inspect the suspension components properly before aligning a vehicle. Caveat emptor

The correct way to align a vehicle, I don't give a shet what anyone says: 1) Drive it first 2) Shake it down 3) Replace any questionable parts 4) Line it up 5) Tighten it down 6) Test drive it again to confirm

Keeping in mind if there is already a wear pattern in a tire/tires your alignment may be absolutely on the money, but the unit is not going to track perfect because of the wear pattern in the tire/tires.

I used to love doing alignments! It's kind of like Zen Meditation.. Well, at least as close as you can get at a garage! :)

Ken
02-05-2010, 03:28 PM
The vehicle needs to go up in the air and get a suspension component shake down.

There might be some camber adjustment on the front that is out of whack, if you're lucky.

Road conditions, driving style, parts quality, installation quality, and weather all play a part in the life cycle.

Don't be confused about alignments, just because you had one doesn't mean your vehicle is good to go.

There are lots of techs out there that don't shake down and inspect the suspension components properly before aligning a vehicle. Caveat emptor

The correct way to align a vehicle, I don't give a shet what anyone says: 1) Drive it first 2) Shake it down 3) Replace any questionable parts 4) Line it up 5) Tighten it down 6) Test drive it again to confirm

Keeping in mind if there is already a wear pattern in a tire/tires your alignment may be absolutely on the money, but the unit is not going to track perfect because of the wear pattern in the tire/tires.

I used to love doing alignments! It's kind of like Zen Meditation.. Well, at least as close as you can get at a garage! :)

Just a thought, if you haven't already done it, swap the front wheels over - left to right - and see if the pull changes. Also if memory serves me correctly you will only get 'hands off' true tracking on a road that has no camber e.g. a runway.

Ken.

dom
02-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Just a thought, if you haven't already done it, swap the front wheels over - left to right - and see if the pull changes. Also if memory serves me correctly you will only get 'hands off' true tracking on a road that has no camber e.g. a runway.

Ken.

Yup.. Road crown gives a slight pull.

REM
03-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Pearly,

The control arm bushings is the part that wears, not the arm itself. The arm, of course, could be bent.

It's tough to find a good alignment shop. I'd avoid the typical franchise shop tire shop who does alignments for $49.99. Look for a wheel alignment specialty shop.

dBrong
03-09-2010, 08:29 PM

Let's see 2010 - 1994 = 16 years.

There are wear parts, rubber bushings, that deterioate over time. Nothing lasts forever. IMO if you keep a car more than 8 - 10 yrs - you are going to have to replace the entire cooling system (radiator, hoses, water pump, etc), shocks - struts, tie rod ends - maybe ball joints, starter, fuel pump.

All these repairs are much cheaper than 4 -5 yrs of car payments.

pearly8
03-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Did most of those. Maybe front suspension (minus air shocks; did those) is next.

Interstingly enough, got new tires on front, and no longer pulls to right.