PDA

View Full Version : replacing truck stereo

Valentine One Radar Detector

bikerlbf406
03-04-2010, 02:29 AM
I planon replacing the stero in my '96 F-150 with an aftermarket CD Player, but can't seem to find a dash installation kit. Does anyone know whether this might be a vehicle that don't require it or something?

Eric
03-04-2010, 06:24 AM
I planon replacing the stero in my '96 F-150 with an aftermarket CD Player, but can't seem to find a dash installation kit. Does anyone know whether this might be a vehicle that don't require it or something?

Have you checked with Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com) or one of the other major suppliers of aftermarket stereo stuff?

grouch
03-04-2010, 08:25 PM

Head over to AutoZone. You want to get the Metra Stereo installation kit #AW-508FD and you also want to have a clean installation so you need the wiring harness kit #AW-WHFD2. About $17 for the installation kit and #11 for the wiring kit. Check with the guys at the counter befopre you buy but those should do the trick. I just put a radio in my 2001 Ram and I wired everything the other night so the actual instal was about 20 minutes. Then again, I've done numerous of these through the years. You wire the harness adaptor to your radio so it will pulg in where the old radio came out.

bikerlbf406
03-05-2010, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the info. I found the kit & the wiring harness after some more research. The Metra part numbers I have though arent anywhere near yours grouch, so I'm not sure if you're giving me autozone part numbers or what the deal is.

grouch
03-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the info. I found the kit & the wiring harness after some more research. The Metra part numbers I have though arent anywhere near yours grouch, so I'm not sure if you're giving me autozone part numbers or what the deal is.

It should say on the box what it fits. I put a '96 F-150 into my settings and went by that.

bikerlbf406
03-06-2010, 03:33 PM
I went on & ordered off ebay (cheaper) the dash kit & the wiring harness that ive found that is supposed to fit the truck. Hopefully they do.