PDA

View Full Version : Is the Ford Focus a POS car?

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
04-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Chip posted a CL ad to this effect; I don't get it. I never thought of the Focus as an especially shitty car.

Your opinion?

Adam
04-10-2010, 10:13 AM
I really like them a lot. They look pretty good,dish out good gas mileage and are inexpensive. I don't think they have mechanical problems I know of. Heck I'd get one.

Eric
04-10-2010, 10:38 AM
I really like them a lot. They look pretty good,dish out good gas mileage and are inexpensive. I don't think they have mechanical problems I know of. Heck I'd get one.

My sentiments also.

I guess the CL poster had a bad experience with his Focus....

Ken
04-10-2010, 10:57 AM
They're certainly very popular over here, good performance and good gas mileage. The one that would really appeal to me though is the Focus RS - followed one on the bike a while ago and he was very fast on the straight and very, very fast through the bends.

Ken.

Mase
04-10-2010, 11:43 AM
I have already decided that if I ever buy another new car, which at this time isn't very likely, it will be a Ford product. I refuse to support Obama Motors and I am done buying imports.

Eric
04-10-2010, 03:02 PM
I have already decided that if I ever buy another new car, which at this time isn't very likely, it will be a Ford product. I refuse to support Obama Motors and I am done buying imports.

I'd be more inclined to buy a Ford, too - for the reason you cite as well as their solid model lineup. But I'm still a Nissan guy and probably if I needed another vehicle, it'd be another Nissan pick-up.

Adam
04-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Currently I drive a Honda Civic about 120 miles round trip to work. With petrol prices hoovering around $3.00 per gallon and heard whispers of $4.00 per gallon prices this summer I am very much in need of a car that sips the petrol and not guzzles it. The Ford Focus is such a vehicle. However I'll be driving the Honda Civic hoping as long as possible. If I'd work just a mile or so away from home heck could even have gottona Ford Crown Victorian or a pig like that but no can do under the circumstances I'm in. A Ford Focus would be fine in my world.

chiph
04-10-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm not saying the Focus is a POS -- it's actually quite a good car. I think they're well-made, fuel-efficient, and have a much higher degree of quality than people give them credit for.

What I am saying is that the Focus is not attractive to a 16 year old boy who just got his license.

If there's no other choice, yes he'll drive it rather than be stuck at home with mom & dad. But it's certainly not his first choice of vehicles.

Chip H.

dieseleverything
04-12-2010, 08:39 AM
The current North American Focus is still based on the one that debuted in 2000. It was only a restyle, so it's the same underneath. The Focus the rest of the world gets is supposedly much better, and we are supposed to get it in MY 2012. I don't think they are a true POS, but compared to their import competitors they could be better.

KentAZ
06-21-2010, 07:27 AM
As I've mentioned in a couple of other threads (I'm a newcomer here so I'll repeat this), I was a service advisor at a Ford dealership.

The Focus is not particularly repair-prone, except for a couple of issues:

(1) The suspension can be a little noisy, especially when going over speed bumps (more so than rough terrain).

(2) There are known issues with some of the transmissions. Ford has a TSB (technical service bulletin) out on some of the '08s & '09s which in some cases require a complete rebuild. That said, it's fairly unusual for that to be necessary.