PDA

View Full Version : Are any of you storing food/ammo?

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
05-17-2010, 07:37 AM
Just curious...

If so, to what extent?

chiph
05-17-2010, 03:28 PM
I always have a case of MREs in the house. Even though I'm no longer really in a hurricane zone.

Chip H.

Eric
05-17-2010, 03:45 PM
I always have a case of MREs in the house. Even though I'm no longer really in a hurricane zone.

Chip H.

How long does a case of MREs last?

I'd estimate we currently have about two months' worth of canned food/rice/pasta, etc.

Rather than buy MREs, I decided to stock up with mostly the food we'd normally eat anyhow. This way, we'll definitely use the food and I can keep it current by using some as we go, rotating in new stuff for stuff we bought months ago, etc.

The Big One I haven't yet sufficiently addressed is fuel. We need it to operate the well/get water (at minimum) and while I usually have appx. 40 gallons available from various sources, I'd like to have a dedicated fuel storage system that could hold say 200 gallons. Still working on that...

dom
05-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Good luck on the fuel storage man. I can't think of any good way to do it, other than getting a home oil heater tank and burying it in the yard.

I keep all my vehicle topped off and about 30 gallons in containers at all times.

Eric
05-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Good luck on the fuel storage man. I can't think of any good way to do it, other than getting a home oil heater tank and burring it in the yard.

I keep all my vehicle topped off and about 30 gallons in containers at all times.

That's pretty much what I do, too.

Our neighbors - farmers, with appx. 120 acres - suggest going to Tractor Supply or some such. You can buy a large tank there (several types, including one designed to fit in the bed of a pick-up, so it's easy to fill).

Gonna check into it...

dom
05-17-2010, 07:53 PM
I dunno man..

You would be committed to that gas staying in the the bed of the truck then.

I know this is a oil tank, but this is what I was thinking about.

http://www.ericpetersautos.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=392&stc=1&d=1274136913

Eric
05-17-2010, 08:09 PM
I dunno man..

You would be committed to that gas staying in the the bed of the truck then.

I know this is a oil tank, but this is what I was thinking about.

http://www.ericpetersautos.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=392&stc=1&d=1274136913

Yeah - that could work!

Meanwhile, here I am staining baseboards for the basement bedroom... so we'll have a nice bunker when the Shit Hits The Fan!

chiph
05-17-2010, 09:12 PM
12 meals in a case of MREs, so about 6 days. Less if you're highly active.

The good news is the taste is much better than they were 20 years ago. Almost like normal food, even.

Buy the chemical heaters, then all you need is the MRE and a bottle of water to make a meal.

Chip H.

dom
05-17-2010, 10:00 PM
If you are serious about the food storage bit I would suggest getting a bunch of five gallon seal-able buckets. They are sold everywhere. Then start packing them up with noodles and other dry stock food. I would put all the items to be inserted into the bucket in a sealed bag too (triple secured).

Eric
05-18-2010, 06:40 AM
12 meals in a case of MREs, so about 6 days. Less if you're highly active.

The good news is the taste is much better than they were 20 years ago. Almost like normal food, even.

Buy the chemical heaters, then all you need is the MRE and a bottle of water to make a meal.

Chip H.

Six days will work for a minor situation, but what if there's a major supply disruption (or civil unrest)?

Do you live in/near a major urban area?

If so, I'd say you need more!

On cooking the food: No problem here. I have massive supply of firewood and a wood-burning stove, plus a multi-fuel camping stove for emergency back up.

Eric
05-18-2010, 06:46 AM
If you are serious about the food storage bit I would suggest getting a bunch of five gallon seal-able buckets. They are sold everywhere. Then start packing them up with noodles and other dry stock food. I would put all the items to be inserted into the bucket in a sealed bag too (triple secured).

I've read about this in Rawles book, "Patriot Games" - and elsewhere. It's the right way to store bulk rice and so on.

I've got several stacks/cases of canned food (beans & other vegetables mostly). These should keep for several years.

Also, lots of packaged Ramen noodles/pasta & sauce (tomato sauce in bottles; also should keep for a year at least).

I keep all this secured in an area that is very dry, constant moderate temp and exposed to no sunlight.

I call this "medium term" storage - food we have as back-up, but which will be used regardless as part of our normal routine (we rotate out stored stuff, eat it, replace with new stuff, etc.). It's basically an extra-large pantry!

If I were going to put food away with the idea that it might just sit there for say five years (or more) I'd probably buy a crate of freeze dried food or MREs...