PDA

View Full Version : If kids weren't indoctrinated with religious belief...

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
06-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Let's say we all agreed that no child should be told that "Jesus is Lord" or otherwise pressured at an early age by any adult authority figure to believe in one religion over another - but instead given access to information about all the world's religions, the arguments pro and con, and allowed to make their own decision as they matured....

Do you think any of the world's major religions could survive a generation?

Adam
06-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Excellent question as usual Eric. I'm going to say yes but only if they really take time to study any one religion. Lot of people are non believers from time to time but it's not unheard of that they will come back to the faith perhaps in a different denomination. However I talked up religion as my kids grew up and they seem to be well adjusted adults. Neither goes to Church often but neither is knocking Christianity either. Funny but my son went on a date with a Hindu girl the other day. I think today's kids are more tolerant of others beliefs.
I wish religion was taught differently more about we pull all the good stuff from all religions and just have one but that will never happen.

dBrong
06-25-2010, 08:13 AM
... Do you think any of the world's major religions could survive a generation?

They couldn't survive a month without geldt!

The biggest tax free scam out there.

Eric
06-25-2010, 08:28 AM
They couldn't survive a month with geldt!

The biggest tax free scam out there.

That is, indeed, an outrage... as things are currently constituted.

I'd have no problem with giving priests/churches a break if they lived up to the Bible's injunction to abjure material things and lived the doctrine they espouse.

Instead, we have the disgusting spectacle of these fantastically wealthy, high-living "priests" who avoid paying the taxes that are crushing ordinary working people.

I don't begrudge a priest a (very) modest dwelling, or an old car. But I do get pissed when I see some shyster evangelical TV preacher (or Catholic cardinal) motoring around in an S-Class Benz, wearing the finest clothes and living in a castle worthy of a medieval lord.