PDA

View Full Version : Should fervent "belief" be respected?

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
07-16-2010, 09:14 AM
A poster argued earlier that it would be a good thing if everyone "respected" the beliefs of the religious.

But, why should such views be respected?

Is it by dint of their being religious - and so off limits to the criticisms that, in any other case, would surely apply?

If I, for instance, were to say out loud that I "believed" in Reptile Overlords who shape-shift into human form to rule the earth, I'd be (rightly) ridiculed. Certainly I would not be entitled to respect for my views, no matter how earnestly I "believed."

Would I?

So, can anyone tell me how the example above is different from a religious person insisting that Jesus is Lord, Christianity is monotheistic but God has a son... and so on?

The basis for the belief in each case is exactly the same: It amounts to "just because" or "I feel" or "it is written" (David Icke has several books on the subject of shape-shifting reptiles - which are exactly as probative as the Bible).

In neither case can the believer point to some beyond-debate factual evidence that supports his claim.

In both cases, what we have is an insistence upon the veracity of something that amounts to an assertion with nothing behind it more substantial than the believer's "I believe."

Why should that be respected?

Ken
07-16-2010, 09:24 AM
A poster argued earlier that it would be a good thing if everyone "respected" the beliefs of the religious.

I respect the right of every individual to 'believe' whatever he or she wishes to believe. This is completely different from respecting the beliefs they hold.

Have to go now as the Invisible Pink Unicorn's (may her tiny hooves be washed in the waters of infinite purity) stable needs to be mucked out.

Ken.