PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Club and bulk food

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
07-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Well, I joined Sam's Club yesterday.

$40 annual fee, but well worth it, I think.

They have a massive selection of bulk food items ideal for building up your supply of "just in case."

I bought, for example, several huge plastic bags (20 pounds each) of pancake mix (just add water, simple to make and very high calorie, so good "survival" food) for under $8 each. Much less expensive than freeze-dried or MREs. I also got a couple of crates of Famous Amos cookies (gotta have snacks) for the same price.

They sell those gigantic, restaurant-sized cans of vegetables, too.

I think it would be possible to buy a 2-3 month supply of staples for $200 or so.

Much recommend - and wish I'd joined sooner!

dom
07-24-2010, 09:59 AM
I like buying things in bulk too!

We have a membership at Costco (kind of like Sam's I think).

You should see how much Tabasco I have!

Mase
07-25-2010, 06:27 AM
I love Sam's. You can often get a huge supply of something for less than a small can or jar of the same suff ar a regular store.

Eric
07-25-2010, 07:39 AM
I love Sam's. You can often get a huge supply of something for less than a small can or jar of the same suff ar a regular store.

Yeah - it was an eye-opener for me.

On cat litter alone we'll save a fortune. They sell 50 pound bags for about $7; at the supermarket (Kroger) a 14 pound jug costs $6.

It's a bit intimidating at first and I still need to figure out the lay of the land, but I think I am going to be a frequent flyer at Sam's!

chiph
07-25-2010, 11:24 AM
There's two catches with Sam's Club

1 - they only sell one of any type of item. So your selection is limited.
2 - Sometimes Wal-mart has the item for less.

Personally, I like Costco better than Sams. It's more expensive, but the goods are of much better quality.

Chip H.

Eric
07-25-2010, 12:01 PM
There's two catches with Sam's Club

1 - they only sell one of any type of item. So your selection is limited.
2 - Sometimes Wal-mart has the item for less.

Personally, I like Costco better than Sams. It's more expensive, but the goods are of much better quality.

Chip H.

I don't think #1 is true; I saw at least two different types/brands of cat litter, for instance.

I plan to go back again this week and will be able to give a more comprehensive opinion then...

Mase
07-25-2010, 01:11 PM
There's only the two of us empty-nesters here, so the bulk items I buy at Sam's and Costco (and Smart-n-Final) tend to be things that won't spoil or have a long shelf life. For example, I get a gallon of hamburger dill pickle chips for around $4. A quart jar of the same at the supermarket is around $6.

This week I bought a ten-pack of Kraft Mac and Cheese for $5 - that's 50 cents a box. Usual supermarket price is $1 a box. Won't spoil, good survival food as long as you have water and fire.

You do need to be price conscious, because some stuff is indeed less expensive elsewhere.

Sam's seems to have a lot of name brand stuff - Heinz Ketchup, Kraft Mayo. by the gallon, too. Costco seems to have their best prices on the house brand stuff, which isn't bad. And a lot of "Farmer John" meat products like hot dogs. Both stores have fresh bakery items. Sam's does seem to have more restaurant-supply house types of items.

When I want some really lean and tender NY strip steaks I get them at Sam's. Other places might have a slightly better price if they are on sale, but Sam's meat quality is excellent, but I do have to buy a big package. No problem as long as the freezer has power.

Mase
07-25-2010, 01:27 PM
You should see how much Tabasco I have!

Sam's used to have the ketchup-bottle-size bottles of Tobasco, but I haven't seem them lately. Instead they have a 3-pack of slightly smaller bottles. I stock up!