PDA

View Full Version : Polygymist Mormon freak's conviction reversed

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
07-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Oh for christ's sake....

The Utah Supreme Court on Tuesday reversed the convictions of polygamist leader Warren Jeffs and ordered a new trial, saying a jury received incorrect instructions before considering his role in the 2001 nuptials of a 14-year-old girl and her 19-year-old cousin.

Jeffs, 54, was convicted in 2007 of two counts of first-degree felony rape as an accomplice. He is serving two consecutive terms of five years to life in the Utah State Prison.

"We are thrilled that the Supreme Court had the courage to exonerate, or at to least find that legal errors were made, so that Mr. Jeffs, obviously a very unpopular figure in the state Utah, could have his conviction overturned," defense attorney Wally Budgen said.

Assistant Utah Attorney General Laura DuPaix said the state maintains its position that Jeffs used his religious authority to force an underage girl to marry and have sex.

"The court said today that at least part of our legal reasoning was misguided, we accept that and we think that's unfortunate," DuPaix said. "We do think that it will make it a little more difficult to prosecute men like Warren Jeffs who are forcing young girls in to unwanted marriages."

She said no decision has been made about whether to prosecute Jeffs again. Meanwhile, authorities in Texas are trying to get him sent there to face charges.

Jeffs is head of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The sect, whose estimated 10,000 members live mostly on the Utah-Arizona state line, practices polygamy in marriages arranged by church leaders. Some marriages have involved underage girls to older men.

Jeffs performed the religious marriage of Elissa Wall and Allen Steed in a Caliente, Nev., motel and later counseled Wall to be obedient and give her "mind, body and soul" to her husband in an effort to make an unhappy marriage work.

During the trial and later in her book, "Stolen Innocence," Wall said she objected to the marriage and was forced into sexual relations with her husband.

The Associated Press does not typically name victims of alleged sexual assault, but Wall has frequently spoken publicly about the case.

In its ruling Tuesday, the court agreed with defense attorneys who argued that jurors should not have been told to decide whether Wall's marital relations were consensual based on Jeffs' actions and his role as her religious leader.

dBrong
07-27-2010, 08:28 PM
I think Jeffs said: "If they're old enough to pee, they're old enough for me."

Personally I think they should do the 'rendition' to Singapore and have them give him 100 strokes of the cane (if he lives that long).

Eric
07-29-2010, 09:41 AM
I think Jeffs said: "If they're old enough to pee, they're old enough for me."

Personally I think they should do the 'rendition' to Singapore and have them give him 100 strokes of the cane (if he lives that long).

Adults should be free to do whatever they wish, with whomever they wish, so long as its other consenting adults.

But these freaks cross the line. Sixty year old men "marrying" 14 year olds (several of them) is FUBAR.

That we tolerate it because it's "religious belief" is a-mazing.

Any other circumstance and it's off to the clink you'd go. Hell, we tar 21 year olds for having 17 year old girlfriends with "sex offender" and "statutory rape"!

But some oily old reptile with the "religion" card to play?

Jeebus told me to so it's ok... blessed, even!

Hallelujah!

Adam
07-30-2010, 09:55 PM
He is a creep and a child predator that hides behind religion to do his dirty deeds. I wish there was a way to separate all evil doers from the rest of society forever. Lock them up and throw away the key and burn there balls off.