PDA

View Full Version : New Explorer... no diesel, of course

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
11-15-2010, 06:24 PM
I just finished my write-up of the new (redesigned) 2011 Ford Explorer. To comply with the government's ridiculous 35 MPG "fleet average" fuel economy edict, Ford got rid of the Explorer's V-8 and turned the whole thing into a light-duty "crossover" that's got minimal towing and off-road ability.

If they had just put a diesel in the thing, they could have kept the truck-based architecture (and capability) while also making the government happy.

But, no.

They had to transform the formerly useful Explorer into another mostly useless "crossover" wagon.

Thanks, Uncle Sam

dieseleverything
11-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Ford made a 4.5 liter V6 version of the 7.3 liter Powerstroke for the LCF trucks through 2009. It would have been a good match for the Explorer.......and the half ton pick-ups.

How many crossovers does Ford need?

Eric
11-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Ford made a 4.5 liter V6 version of the 7.3 liter Powerstroke for the LCF trucks through 2009. It would have been a good match for the Explorer.......and the half ton pick-ups.

How many crossovers does Ford need?

How many crossovers does the market need? :D

I think there are way too many of these out there already. It's like having to choose from 30 different brands of toothpaste, all of them pretty much the same...

Kwozzie1
11-19-2010, 09:02 PM
We haven't had Explorer here for a few years. The Territory is the Aussie equivalent although not an off-roader, but a soft roader.

It has a straight 6 and earlier had a turbo 6 option, but that seems to have been dropped

Why they don't use a torquey diesel beats me.

Ford had the opportunity to get the best of both worlds when they owned Landrover (for the 4WD) and Volvo (for the diesel):confused:

Aussies can't see past the V8 square when it comes to big cars. But things are changing. Many more European diesels now here on our roads. Mercedes BMW PSA group, Ford, plus the Korean GM Cars

Kwozzie1
11-19-2010, 09:05 PM
We haven't had Explorer here for a few years. The Territory is the Aussie equivalent although not an off-roader, but a soft roader.

I forgot to add........

Ford Territory site (http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Satellite?c=DFYPage&cid=1248884728627&pagename=wrapper&site=FOA)