PDA

View Full Version : White smoke from exhaust!

Valentine One Radar Detector

dom
11-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Lately I've been noticing a lot of white smoke coming from my exhaust in the morning. Does this have something to do with the colder weather, or is my engine/exhaust not functioning correctly?

It only seems to happen for the first few minutes, or so. Once the engine is warmed up to normal operating temperature I don't notice it.

Eric
11-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Lately I've been noticing a lot of white smoke coming from my exhaust in the morning. Does this have something to do with the colder weather, or is my engine/exhaust not functioning correctly?

It only seems to happen for the first few minutes, or so. Once the engine is warmed up to normal operating temperature I don't notice it.

White smoke bees water vapor, mang!

It's normal - water vapor is a byproduct of combustion; you see it more during the colder months for the same reason you can see "steam" in your exhaling breath.

But, if you see a lot of white smoke (especially if it's constant, billowing smoke) then you may have a problem... a bad one - like a failed head gasket. It's a sign the engine's burning water, not just making some.