PDA

View Full Version : What's the best oil filter?

Valentine One Radar Detector

dom
12-12-2010, 06:47 PM
I usually purchase Fram oil filters from Walmart.

The ones with the rubberized stuff on the end makes them super easy to twist on and off.

Are these considered good filters?

grouch
12-12-2010, 07:12 PM

The ones with the rubberized stuff on the end makes them super easy to twist on and off.

I usually use either Fram or STP filters. Both are pretty good. I like the grip coating myself. The only thing I do different is I add a large ceramic magnet onto the outside to catch small ferrous particles. Especially if I've just rebuilt the engine.

dom
12-12-2010, 08:53 PM
The only thing I do different is I add a large ceramic magnet onto the outside to catch small ferrous particles. Especially if I've just rebuilt the engine.

That is awesome!

I've never thought about that.

Excellent idea.

Eric
12-13-2010, 05:42 AM

I'v read that Frams (some of them) are crap. That the internal filter media can disintegrate and get sucked through your engine.

I use Mobil 1 filters (and oil) for my pick-ups. K&N (and Royal Purple oil) for the Trans-Am.

chiph
12-13-2010, 07:46 PM
This guy on the Ford Truck forum, cut a Fram and Napa Gold filter open for comparison.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/885041-oil-filter-cutaway.html

The Fram looks like something made in China for the least amount of money possible.

Chip H.

swamprat
12-13-2010, 08:42 PM
I use AC Delco for the Saturn and NAPA Gold for the Jag. I may switch to K/N since they are made here. I think that they moved NAPA's production to Mexico.

DonTom
12-14-2010, 07:36 PM

Are these considered good filters?Do not use the Orange can Frams! They are well known to be the junkiest oil filter ever made. The white can TG filters are okay. The more expensive DG filter is junk as well as is the orange can Fram's.

Napa Gold's are among the best oil filters made.

See here (http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/opinions.html)for more info.

-Don- SSF, CA