PDA

View Full Version : Why so big?

Valentine One Radar Detector

grouch
02-10-2011, 09:04 PM
I've never understood why the car companies are making their pickups so big anymore. In the late 60's and early 70's, a half ton truck could carry a full load and was a reasonably size. This was a time when cars were huge. Even into the 80's, trucks were a good size for hauling, were reasonably agile and quite comfortable. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 truck with the heavy suspension. While it is a large truck, it's not that huge. I stopped by a used car lot to look at a car they had. There were two trucks sitting near where I parked. A 2 year old Dodge and a 3 year old Ford. Both were two wheel drive and half ton models. Both looked to be larger than my truck. There was a small SUV parked next to the Ford and the bed side was higher than the roof of the SUV. These can't be very agile. I'll bet that if one car company made a smaller full sized truck, maybe something that would actually fit in a regular garage, they would sell a bunch of them. Yes, I know about the Colorado and Dakota trucks. They can't haul a full sized load, although the Dakota isn't that much smaller than a 80's full size truck.

Eric
02-11-2011, 08:55 AM
I've never understood why the car companies are making their pickups so big anymore. In the late 60's and early 70's, a half ton truck could carry a full load and was a reasonably size. This was a time when cars were huge. Even into the 80's, trucks were a good size for hauling, were reasonably agile and quite comfortable. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 truck with the heavy suspension. While it is a large truck, it's not that huge. I stopped by a used car lot to look at a car they had. There were two trucks sitting near where I parked. A 2 year old Dodge and a 3 year old Ford. Both were two wheel drive and half ton models. Both looked to be larger than my truck. There was a small SUV parked next to the Ford and the bed side was higher than the roof of the SUV. These can't be very agile. I'll bet that if one car company made a smaller full sized truck, maybe something that would actually fit in a regular garage, they would sell a bunch of them. Yes, I know about the Colorado and Dakota trucks. They can't haul a full sized load, although the Dakota isn't that much smaller than a 80's full size truck.

I agree.

They're literally overwhelming.

I am 6 ft. 3 and 210 pounds - so Im considerably taller/bigger than average. And these trucks make me feel like I'm 12 years old. You can't even see into the bed - much less reach into it - without a step ladder.
To get in, you have to pull yourself on-board.

These trucks are unusable if you're not big, young and strong. And even if you are, they're till awkward and unwieldy.

My wife won't even try to drive the press trucks I get.

It's a symptom of the current American obsession with massiveness for its own sake - from McMansions to trucks....

chiph
02-11-2011, 08:32 PM
*ahem*

The Ridgeline has a passenger + cargo payload of 1500 pounds, is classified as a mid-size, and can easily park in a standard garage. Plus it has a trunk for carrying things out of sight and out of the weather.

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/8289635/163_0604_06z_06toty_+2006_honda_ridgeline+bed_carg o_trunk.jpg

Is it attractive? No - it's utilitarian. Like a truck should be.

Chip H.

Eric
02-12-2011, 07:09 AM
*ahem*

The Ridgeline has a passenger + cargo payload of 1500 pounds, is classified as a mid-size, and can easily park in a standard garage. Plus it has a trunk for carrying things out of sight and out of the weather.

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/8289635/163_0604_06z_06toty_+2006_honda_ridgeline+bed_carg o_trunk.jpg

Is it attractive? No - it's utilitarian. Like a truck should be.

Chip H.

Right! And of course, it's not selling.

Bloated, obese Americans want bloated, obese SmoooVeees and pick-ups.

Nissan upsized the Frontier to mid-sized.

GM's ditched the S-10 and replaced it with the mid-sized Canyon.

Only Ford still makes a compact-sized pick-up.

The Tundra, Ram, Sierra, etc., are just enormous.

I like the Ridgeline; it makes sense and for most people more than gets the job done. But it hasn't got the Intimidation Factor, or the massive V-8 ... and that's what the market seems to want.

chiph
02-12-2011, 04:40 PM
The Ford Ranger ought to come with an oxygen cylinder, it's so old.

There was a prototype Dodge Dakota built that had a unibody chassis like the Ridgeline, but they were going to call it the Rampage, which was the kiss-of-death as far as I was concerned.

Chip H.