PDA

View Full Version : Tips for saving your hands

Valentine One Radar Detector

eesquared
03-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Ladeez...

If you are messing around under the hood of your car, please remember to remove all of your jewelry. Even if your engine is off, your rings and bracelets can catch on pieces of parts that abound in there, causing you to scratch, cut, or otherwise maim your hands and wrists.

Also, to save that expensive manicure, wear gloves when you work on the car. The disposable plastic gloves are ok for washing the car, but they tear up pretty easily if you apply much elbow grease. A better option is those funky yellow plastic gloves that your mom used to wear to scrub the toilet.

If you expect to encounter car fluids, you might want to wear chemical protection gloves. They are very bulky, though, and you might lose some nimbleness when working with small parts like nuts and bolts.

grouch
03-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Ladeez...

If you are messing around under the hood of your car, please remember to remove all of your jewelry. Even if your engine is off, your rings and bracelets can catch on pieces of parts that abound in there, causing you to scratch, cut, or otherwise maim your hands and wrists.

Also, to save that expensive manicure, wear gloves when you work on the car. The disposable plastic gloves are ok for washing the car, but they tear up pretty easily if you apply much elbow grease. A better option is those funky yellow plastic gloves that your mom used to wear to scrub the toilet.

If you expect to encounter car fluids, you might want to wear chemical protection gloves. They are very bulky, though, and you might lose some nimbleness when working with small parts like nuts and bolts.

Also, remove your watch. Especially if it has a metal band. Short that puppy out on a hot wire, even if it is only 12 volts and it will heat up FAST. 3rd degree burns hurt like the dickens.

To clean your hands, you can't beat "Fast Orange" hand cleaner. Most of what is available is the pumice formula but I prefer the smooth as the grit doesn't plug up the drain pipes in your house. It's easier on the skin if you don't have decades of calluses like I do.

eesquared
03-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks for mentioning the watch - I neglected that one.

Yes, we use both Fast Orange and Gojo - it is smooth, too. I have a jar in the kitchen and the garage.