PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Replacing the splash guard on the disposal

Valentine One Radar Detector

eesquared
05-03-2011, 09:04 PM
In-Sink-Erator brand.

The instructions on the package do not mention plumber's putty (what the heck is plumber's putty, anyway? Is it anything like naval jelly?), but the video on In-Sink-Erator's website suggests using plumber's putty.

The instructions seem pretty straightforward. Any tips or anything they might have forgotten to mention that I need to know?

And yes - before you guys remind to turn off the power at the circuit box, I already know that part.

Wish me luck~

grouch
05-03-2011, 11:33 PM
In-Sink-Erator brand.

The instructions on the package do not mention plumber's putty (what the heck is plumber's putty, anyway? Is it anything like naval jelly?), but the video on In-Sink-Erator's website suggests using plumber's putty.

The instructions seem pretty straightforward. Any tips or anything they might have forgotten to mention that I need to know?

And yes - before you guys remind to turn off the power at the circuit box, I already know that part.

Wish me luck~

Plumbers Putty is a gooshy putty used by plumbers. You pack it around the seals and it fills the little spaces that can leak. It hardens over time and makes a good seal. It comes in little plastic tubs of a few ounces for the homeowner who doesn't need a lot. just roll it around in your hands to warm and soften it, mush (<------fancy technical term) it into place and tighten everything down. Any putty the gooshes (<-----"Nuther fancy technical term) you scrape off and then you're done.

eesquared
05-04-2011, 12:19 AM
Gracias, Senor Grouch.

I'm taking it apart now. In lieu of plumber's putty...is there a substitute? Like...Marine Goop or something else? Or, is plumber's putty the stuff that I need?

MikeHalloran
05-04-2011, 11:18 PM
You need plumber's putty. Any hardware store or lumberyard, old or new, will have it.
Even Wal-Mart carries it.

grouch
05-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Gracias, Senor Grouch.

I'm taking it apart now. In lieu of plumber's putty...is there a substitute? Like...Marine Goop or something else? Or, is plumber's putty the stuff that I need?

I'm sure there's something else but it will be hard to find and more expensive.

eesquared
05-08-2011, 01:51 AM
Thanks. I did not use it when I installed, and I have a teeny weeny leak. Drats! Hubby said he has plumber's putty somewhere in a box of plumbing junk....so he is going to fix it.

eesquared
05-08-2011, 01:53 AM
I'm sure there's something else but it will be hard to find and more expensive.
Ok - I'll <ahem> consider that. <snickle>