PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Techno geeks.

Valentine One Radar Detector

grouch
05-23-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm probably going to use a microfiber cloth slightly damp to clean my 78 rpm records. Now I have another dilema. What to do with the music. Does anybody know of something that a nearly blind arthritic 92 year old woman confined to a wheel chair can use to listen to music? MP3 players are too small, CD players can hold one CD and be worked with just one push on a button but a CD usually only holds about 80 minutes of music. Cost is not an issue since it's my mother. Even if she only uses it for a week, it will be worth it.

Space is something of an issue as nursing homes don't have the most spacious rooms. Then again, a neighboring tenant with dementia might not walk off with something large. So what I need is something I can load a lot of music onto that can be used with the push of one (preferably large) button.

Mithrandir
05-23-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm probably going to use a microfiber cloth slightly damp to clean my 78 rpm records. Now I have another dilema. What to do with the music. Does anybody know of something that a nearly blind arthritic 92 year old woman confined to a wheel chair can use to listen to music? MP3 players are too small, CD players can hold one CD and be worked with just one push on a button but a CD usually only holds about 80 minutes of music. Cost is not an issue since it's my mother. Even if she only uses it for a week, it will be worth it.

Space is something of an issue as nursing homes don't have the most spacious rooms. Then again, a neighboring tenant with dementia might not walk off with something large. So what I need is something I can load a lot of music onto that can be used with the push of one (preferably large) button.

If you convert the music to MP3 format:

1) Use a CD player that can read mp3 format. One CD could get a few days worth of music.

2) Use an ipod attached to a docking station with speakers. Ipods can hold several days worth of music. Bose makes a nice unit although pricey.

3) An mp3 player attached to speakers

eesquared
05-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Doesn't Bose make a system that docks an iPod? The Bose system takes up a small amount of space, and the speakers are built-in, so you also save space there. An iPod holds a huge amount of music - heck mine isn't even at 5% full and I have tons of music on it.

If you decide on the iPod, be sure and get a regular iPod and not the Nano because the screen is a little bigger and would be easier for her to see with the regular iPod.

grouch
05-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Doesn't Bose make a system that docks an iPod? The Bose system takes up a small amount of space, and the speakers are built-in, so you also save space there. An iPod holds a huge amount of music - heck mine isn't even at 5% full and I have tons of music on it.

If you decide on the iPod, be sure and get a regular iPod and not the Nano because the screen is a little bigger and would be easier for her to see with the regular iPod.

I looked at a docking station for an Ipod but while the buttons are no problem for most people, for mom it's an issue. We're talking about an extremely elderly and frail person. I don't think she'd be able to use it so she wouldn't be able to enjoy the music like she did when I was a kid.

Dave Brand
05-27-2011, 06:19 AM
1) Use a CD player that can read mp3 format. One CD could get a few days worth of music.

That's the option I'd go for.