PDA

View Full Version : Under the hood insulation?

Valentine One Radar Detector

eesquared
07-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Ok, I need to replace the insulation under the hood of the Elky. I only know of two kinds. One is the pre-formed asbestos or fiberglass stuff (I don't know what the stuff is - it's just fibers all pressed together) - like was originally on the car...well it still is on the car. The other is that stuff that looks like aluminum foil that you have to form fit.

I'm thinking I want the foil-looking stuff so it won't wear out and shed little pieces of crud all over my engine bay. But, it doesn't come with clips or anything and I do not know what to use to attach it.

On the other hand, the pre-formed stuff comes with clips and would be pretty easy to install.

What are the pros/cons of each...anybody know?

Suggestions, please~

grouch
07-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Ok, I need to replace the insulation under the hood of the Elky. I only know of two kinds. One is the pre-formed asbestos or fiberglass stuff (I don't know what the stuff is - it's just fibers all pressed together) - like was originally on the car...well it still is on the car. The other is that stuff that looks like aluminum foil that you have to form fit.

I'm thinking I want the foil-looking stuff so it won't wear out and shed little pieces of crud all over my engine bay. But, it doesn't come with clips or anything and I do not know what to use to attach it.

On the other hand, the pre-formed stuff comes with clips and would be pretty easy to install.

What are the pros/cons of each...anybody know?

Suggestions, please~

It's up to what you want to do. The preformed is factory so if you want to restore the car, that's what you need to use. The foil is llighter and will brighten up under the hood at a car show so you can see the engine and such. It's also a little bit lighter in weight.