PDA

View Full Version : Vintage tyres on modern cars.

Valentine One Radar Detector

RebelKnightCSA
09-09-2011, 11:25 PM
I am writing a short story about a driver who accidentally slips back in time to backwoods Kansas in 1924, and how he interacts with the locals whilst he is there. Part of the story has his car getting a flat tyre on the dirt tracks they called 'roads' back then. He goes to a car repair place, and this being 1924, all they have are tyres for 1920s cars.

So...does my character have to go without transpo whilst he is in the past, or is there a solution? I imagine that the replacement tyre/wheel will have to be 'hacked' / modified somehow, right? Could it work?

dom
09-10-2011, 12:41 AM
I would imagine they would be able to make an adapter hub that has lug nuts pressed into it that bolts onto the existing hub's studs. The vehicle would have to settle for era appropriate rims and tires, but the adapter hub would be between that rim and his vehicle's stock hub.

Something like this:

http://epautos.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=691&stc=1&d=1315629563

chiph
09-10-2011, 08:57 AM
I think he'll be out of luck. A modern car weighs 3000+ pounds. A 1924 Model-T weighed 1200 pounds, and ran on wooden spoked wheels. Even if something could be rigged up, the spokes couldn't support it.

Steel spokes were available starting in 1926. Even if you move your date up, or take artistic license, a brand-new Ford is unlikely to be seen in rural Kansas, unless it was owned by the local doctor.

Chip H.

grouch
09-10-2011, 08:22 PM
I am writing a short story about a driver who accidentally slips back in time to backwoods Kansas in 1924, and how he interacts with the locals whilst he is there. Part of the story has his car getting a flat tyre on the dirt tracks they called 'roads' back then. He goes to a car repair place, and this being 1924, all they have are tyres for 1920s cars.

So...does my character have to go without transpo whilst he is in the past, or is there a solution? I imagine that the replacement tyre/wheel will have to be 'hacked' / modified somehow, right? Could it work?

Unfortunately, the wheels and tires back then were much bigger in diameter and the much narrower. Most wheels were held on with center nuts, although lug nuts were coming into use. Safety rims didn't come into use until the early 50's so seating the tires would be a problem as a newer car would have the safety rims. They came into wide use in a couple of years. IN addition, finding a tube to fit the wheel would be nearly impossible since a modern wheel isn't designed for a tube tire.

How is he going to pay for a tire anyway? Modern money won't be accepted since it will look fake.

dom
09-11-2011, 12:27 AM
You guys are killing his "story!" LOL

Just have the character put the adapters on and call it a day! Ha

grouch
09-11-2011, 12:14 PM
You guys are killing his "story!" LOL

Just have the character put the adapters on and call it a day! Ha

Nah, just do a heavy rewrite. Have the proponent drive an antique car and that be the medium by which he is transported in time. Ergo, if he is driving a car from the early 20's, with modern upgrades maybe, like a radio, the story would almost write itself.

Besides the Ford Model T, the protagonist could also be driving a Chevy Model 490 or a Dodge Model 30. All were either in production or late model used cars. All could be had either with electric start or have it installed.

Had he refurbished the car before transportation, he could have added things not available in the early 20's such as power steering and a/c. For cash, we were still on the gold standard and he could be a coin collector, hence have some early money with him. In the early 20's, $25 would buy a good used car. $40 in antigue coinage would go a long way to providing expenses.

eesquared
11-14-2011, 07:46 AM
How's the story coming?