PDA

View Full Version : Techy advice, please

Valentine One Radar Detector

eesquared
02-03-2012, 10:19 AM
One of my computers keeps crashing with a blue-screen error, necessitating a restart....every morning. When I get every morning, the computer has a blue screen and error message (apparently a serious one) and the only solution is to press the reset button.

When it restarts and comes up with a dialog box, it says "A duplicate name exists on the network"....whatever that means. It does not tell me what the duplicate name is, so I have no idea where to start looking for it.

The computer in question accesses my network wirelessly - it is not the main computer. It is a second desktop computer.

After every reboot, when Windows starts up and I login to the desktop, I get the wizard box for "Install new hardware". I have not installed new hardware, and I cancel the wizard, but it keeps saying that it detects new hardware.

Where do I go to find the detected new hardware and remove it?

Could this be causing the crash? The error signature says the files included in the report are on my C: drive and Temp files and sysdata....?

I need a techy geek please!

dom
02-03-2012, 10:53 AM
How old is the computer? Have you recently installed something, or connected something? If so, disconnect that something and try again.

Mithrandir
02-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Hit the start button--->select control panel-->hardware or software

See what has been recently added.

Hardware only shows you what is connected.

software will show you what is on computer and when it was added.

Do you have antivirus software? If yes you may wish to check for a virus.

If the computer is old enough, it is possible that there could be issues with the motherboard, but that is beyond my knowledge.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to diagnose from a distance.

eesquared
02-04-2012, 11:38 AM
How old is the computer? Have you recently installed something, or connected something? If so, disconnect that something and try again.
Recently installed the new 2012 antivirus program that replaced the 2011 version. That's all I know of. I asked Hubby if he had installed something recently, and no, he has not.

eesquared
02-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Hit the start button--->select control panel-->hardware or software

See what has been recently added.

Hardware only shows you what is connected.

software will show you what is on computer and when it was added.

Do you have antivirus software? If yes you may wish to check for a virus.

If the computer is old enough, it is possible that there could be issues with the motherboard, but that is beyond my knowledge.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to diagnose from a distance.
Ok - I'll look there and see what it tells me. The only recently installed is the 2012 antivirus program that replaced the 2011 version - same maker. It is not a new computer...maybe 5 years old.

Thanks for the tip. :)

Ken
02-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Recently installed the new 2012 antivirus program that replaced the 2011 version. That's all I know of. I asked Hubby if he had installed something recently, and no, he has not.

It could well be your new A/V is clashing with some residue from the old version - I've had this before. Did you do a full un-install of the old A/V program before installing the latest version? What A/V is it?, I had enormous problems with Symantec/Norton updates crashing my system. Not their fault necessarily, the new version just clashed with some of my old software. Do you have CrapCleaner or RegCleanPro on your system? If not you could try downloading the free version of CCleaner from www.piriform.com/ccleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) It is a very gentle temporary file and registry cleaner, I have used it for years. For deeper cleaning you could try RegClean Pro from Systweaks (Only use the genuine Systweaks file, there are several malicious versions around) - it works for me. For a quick check I would try uninstalling the new A/V. Run Check Disk in chkdsk /f mode (Start>Run>type in chkdsk /f and click on 'OK') . You will probably get a message asking if you want to run Check Disk at next Start Up - just type Y and hit enter. Shut the machine down, restart it after two minutes and wait for Check Disk to do its stuff - it takes quite a while. Try the computer again. If all is then well re-install the new A/V.

Khen.

eesquared
02-04-2012, 12:37 PM
It could well be your new A/V is clashing with some residue from the old version - I've had this before. Did you do a full un-install of the old A/V program before installing the latest version? What A/V is it?, I had enormous problems with Symantec/Norton updates crashing my system. Not their fault necessarily, the new version just clashed with some of my old software. Do you have CrapCleaner or RegCleanPro on your system? If not you could try downloading the free version of CCleaner from www.piriform.com/ccleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) It is a very gentle temporary file and registry cleaner, I have used it for years. For deeper cleaning you could try RegClean Pro from Systweaks (Only use the genuine Systweaks file, there are several malicious versions around) - it works for me. For a quick check I would try uninstalling the new A/V. Run Check Disk in chkdsk /f mode (Start>Run>type in chkdsk /f and click on 'OK') . You will probably get a message asking if you want to run Check Disk at next Start Up - just type Y and hit enter. Shut the machine down, restart it after two minutes and wait for Check Disk to do its stuff - it takes quite a while. Try the computer again. If all is then well re-install the new A/V.

Khen.
Yes, I did a complete uninstall before installing the new version. I use the purchased version of AVG. I did a registry clean a couple of weeks ago - when I installed the new A/V. Maybe I need to run it again?

I don't use Norton for the same reason you mentioned.

Ok - I'll try the disk check and see if that helps.

Thank Ken. :)

Ken
02-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Yes, I did a complete uninstall before installing the new version. I use the purchased version of AVG. I did a registry clean a couple of weeks ago - when I installed the new A/V. Maybe I need to run it again?

I don't use Norton for the same reason you mentioned.

Ok - I'll try the disk check and see if that helps.

Thank Ken. :)

I suggest try Check Disk first then run your registry cleaner again.

Ken.

dom
02-04-2012, 05:39 PM
With it being such an old computer I'd try just formatting it and giving it a fresh install. If that didn't take I toss it and buy a new one.

dBrong
02-08-2012, 01:10 PM
When it restarts and comes up with a dialog box, it says "A duplicate name exists on the network"

A duplicate name exists on the network. It can't join the workgroup. Did you add a machine with the same name?

I'd suggest you cycle the power on you wireless router and your cable/dsl modem, and turn off the other pc's on your network.

Then start your machine. I'd let the "new hardware detected" to run and see what it says. Can't really hurt anything at this point.